Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: QPR TO GO FOR BOTHROYD ?

Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Hope your grass is softer than ours as he spends half his time on his arse , lazy , not Prem standard - would you ,like me to drop him off ????

I'd have to decline you're offer thanks.

Has never set the world alight in his whole career besides a decent spell with yourselves.

Not my type of player. I'd rather a player like Helguson who at 58 years of age still battles for every ball, fights for every header & is a general all round team player not some soft arse hole who is never off the deck & when he has managed to stay on his feet for more than 5 mins he's usually whining like a bitch at the ref for a foul that never was.

Hope this is just paper talk I really do. I like grafters not players who are way above their own stations.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:39 pm

stan... you want a job as a manager? i know one that may be available shortly :D

Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 pm

My view on Bothroyd for what it is worth. The last season really was a microcism of his whole career. Some exceptional moments highlighting the undoubted talent that he does have but also the extremely worrying tendency that he cannot be bothered at times or is too ready to 'feel' an injury, resulting in him missing far too many games. If he had played 46 league games as Danny Graham did, Bothroyd may well have matched his scoring record. My view is that the missing factor in his career to date is a manager who can manage him properly, with a team of coaches and fitness experts to help him avoid injuries.

If anybody can match this cv requirement then I think that Warnock is the man. He doesn't suffer fools gladly, and to be honest the way that he has managed Taraabt this season to get what he has out of the guy has been nothing short of a managerial masterclass. Any other manager would have kicked him out of the club given the earliest opportunity. One of the reasons why QPR had the success we achieved this season was also down to the lack of injuries suffered by players. Kenny missed a couple of games at the end of the season as a result of a heavy fall. Orr missed six games through injury, Faurlin five, and Helguson around the same amount. The only player who regularly got injured was Fitz Hall, who is made out of porcelain anyway. Alot of that was down to fitness regimes and an excellent group of fitness staff. For example, Lee Cook, who has suffered for the last four seasons with a dodgy knee was ready to come back at the start of the season. He was assessed by the fitness team and told in no uncertain terms that he needed to build up three to four inches of muscle around his knee in order for it to survive another season. It has taken Cookie much of the season to achieve this, but they were not prepared to risk him.

If the rumours are true then Bothroyd could be an excellent recruit, and footballing wise I do think that he is a better player than Graham, but Warnock, like his job on Taraabt has to work the same magic.

Fri May 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Dazzatim wrote:stan... you want a job as a manager? i know one that may be available shortly :D

:lol: :lol:

DW QPR-great post mate. Personally not impressed with JB & I don't think Warnock would put in half as much time or efffort into a player like Bothroys. Taarabt was well worth that effort because of his undoubted ability Bothroyd does not deserve that respect imo. Looks like a player with very little fire in his belly if I'm honest.

Fri May 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Would be disappointed with this personally.

Not fit to lace Danny Graham's boots in my opinion.

QPR have had a £2.5million bid for Watford top scorer Danny Graham rejected.

Rangers boss Neil Warnock had lined up the 25-year-old, who hit 24 goals this season, as the club's first Premier League buy.

However, the Hornets have slapped a £4m price tag on former Middlesbrough star Graham, who is also wanted by Newcastle.

Warnock could now turn his attentions to Cardiff's Jay Bothroyd as he looks to find a striker capable of scoring the goals to QPR in the top flight.

bothroyd on a free contract an ok addition not as a goal scorer tho. he's justa tesco brand version of Bobby Zamora, not as much quality but will offer you the same technical game

Re: QPR TO GO FOR BOTHROYD?

Fri May 20, 2011 3:07 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:Does he need a lift, im off today, ill even pay the petrol!!! Need to be aiming much higher than this lazy tw*t stan or i really worry for you next season

LOL

Fri May 20, 2011 3:56 pm

old news, Jay has already been in London to talk over a deal. From what Im told its been done already but was being kept quiet until the playoffs were over to not disturb things at Cardiff.

Fri May 20, 2011 3:59 pm

it has to be kept quiet if thats the case as clubs in the same league can't discuss terms until the said players contract is up!

Fri May 20, 2011 4:06 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:was being kept quiet until the playoffs were over to not disturb things at Cardiff.

Well that didn't work out!

Fri May 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Stan do you feel that the interest in Bothroyd or Graham is a measure of QPR's ambition next season?

Fri May 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
jamesbarnett91 wrote:was being kept quiet until the playoffs were over to not disturb things at Cardiff.

Well that didn't work out!

i know :(

Fri May 20, 2011 4:12 pm

griff105 wrote:Stan do you feel that the interest in Bothroyd or Graham is a measure of QPR's ambition next season?

how do you know they dont just want them for back ups?

Fri May 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I think a lot of this ''Bothroyd wouldn't be good enough for the premiership'' is largely down to the fact that he is not our player anymore.

He has undoubted quality, that was showed by an England call up. Yes his performances haven't been as good as they were when he was playing before the England cap. But you do not lose natural talent that he has got over night. That said, he still has produced moments of magic/quality after the England cap, the goal against QPR?

I think all it would take is a manager like Warnock who could motivate him and get his head straight and he would flourish in the Prem. If i was a QPR fan i'd be excited by the prospect of watching an England International down Loftus Rd.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:18 pm

griff105 wrote:Stan do you feel that the interest in Bothroyd or Graham is a measure of QPR's ambition next season?

Griff, I personally don't think it is as much a measure, but more in terms of what is available. The problem with any club coming up to the Prem is that they will never immediately attract big names as the real star players will be going to, in this country, the big six, in Spain the big three and the same in Italy. For me Bothroyd and Graham are the right level, yes untested in the Prem but proven in the Championship. As Warnock has proved this last season it is not who you have got it is how you use them. I am sure like, us, rewinding to last summer's transfer window, if your first two signings were Shaun Derry and Clint Hill, the first words out of your mouth would have been "What the f**k!" It certainly was with us, and a season later, without doubt you would each have given your right arms for Shaun Derry as he has been the real lynchpin to our success.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:20 pm

ccfc_cotta wrote:

Rangers boss Neil Warnock had lined up the 25-year-old, who hit 24 goals this season, as the club's first Premier League buy.

However, the Hornets have slapped a £4m price tag on former Middlesbrough star Graham, who is also wanted by Newcastle.

Warnock could now turn his attentions to Cardiff's Jay Bothroyd as he looks to find a striker capable of scoring the goals to QPR in the top flight.

bothroyd on a free contract an ok addition not as a goal scorer tho. he's justa tesco brand version of Bobby Zamora, not as much quality but will offer you the same technical game

Then on that basis he should be playing for the likes of Colchester or Brighton! (Think about it!) :lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 4:24 pm

When Jay is fit and his head is in the right place he is as good if not better than most. extremely naturally talented footballer. One of the best.

Sadly, up until his England call up he appeared to be both of those things.

Clearly, he is on his way home to London. So, the only question is, which club.

West Ham relegated. Unlikely

Spurs, Arse and Chelsea, too good for him.

Only real options are QPR and Fulham. Can't see Sparky putting up with a player who spends most of the time on his arse. Ergo, QPR are his only options. Marriage made in heaven? Time will tell. Good luck Jay and the super hoops.
:ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D

Fri May 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:When Jay is fit and his head is in the right place he is as good if not better than most. extremely naturally talented footballer. One of the best.

Sadly, up until his England call up he appeared to be both of those things.

Clearly, he is on his way home to London. So, the only question is, which club.

West Ham relegated. Unlikely

Spurs, Arse and Chelsea, too good for him.

Only real options are QPR and Fulham. Can't see Sparky putting up with a player who spends most of the time on his arse. Ergo, QPR are his only options. Marriage made in heaven? Time will tell. Good luck Jay and the super hoops.

Ruislip, given your locality mate, you'll be able to pop down every other week to cheer him on!

Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:

how do you know they dont just want them for back ups?

I dont know anything about it, thats why I asked a question.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 pm

DWQPR wrote:

Griff, I personally don't think it is as much a measure, but more in terms of what is available. The problem with any club coming up to the Prem is that they will never immediately attract big names as the real star players will be going to, in this country, the big six, in Spain the big three and the same in Italy. For me Bothroyd and Graham are the right level, yes untested in the Prem but proven in the Championship. As Warnock has proved this last season it is not who you have got it is how you use them. I am sure like, us, rewinding to last summer's transfer window, if your first two signings were Shaun Derry and Clint Hill, the first words out of your mouth would have been "What the f**k!" It certainly was with us, and a season later, without doubt you would each have given your right arms for Shaun Derry as he has been the real lynchpin to our success.

Yep fair point. I was just wondering maybe your owners would flash the cash, try to attract one marquee signing and then use him as a carrot for others to follow.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Ruislip, given your locality mate, you'll be able to pop down every other week to cheer him on!

Shhhhh!!!!! Some people are listening!!!!

All my mates are Rangers fans. Good luck next season. I'm not bitter. Much!!!!

I got all next season to be unmercilessly ribbed and have the piss taken out of. Especially when u r playing Manchester (City or United) and we are playing Doncaster.

However, u will find me in The Westgate before every City home game. PS, that's in Cardiff.

Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm

£2.5 Million a bit of a low bid for Graham anyway isn't it ???

When are those Billionaires going to splash some cash, but in saying that they got you up without overpaying didn't they...........

Fri May 20, 2011 6:27 pm

well warnock is ambitious aint he :roll: :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri May 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Have you still got the artificial grass?
J will have to put plenty of Vaseline on his arms to stop the burns
:old:

Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 pm

if he singns for you he will only be a bench player because he loves it sat on his arse :lol:

Fri May 20, 2011 8:36 pm

I think Jay should be sent on a SAS survival course pre season to toughen him up very good technical ability not short of pace but he can be a big girls blouse as we have all seen.

On a free he's got to be a decent signing and potentially could get 10 to 15 goals and i personally wish him well and thank him for his service but he's got to toughen up :roll:

Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 pm

No I don't mate. I think a fair few will raise eyebrows if we pull off some of the targets we are trying to get.

Players like Graham & Bothroyd imo are very good back up players or even starters. Graham has a lot of ability in the box & many teams would like to have him playing for them.

Sat May 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Bothroyd is a far better player than Graham. To be honest I think QPR have dodged a bullet by missing out on Graham. Remember, he has only had one good season at Championship level and to be honest, I would never see him scoring this many goals in a season again at Championship level, nevermind the Premiership. Graham is a good striker at Championship level, but is not Premiership quality. With that said, if you asked me what player I would rather in our team throughout the whole season, I would choose Graham over Bothroyd every time, simply because with Graham, you're guaranteed 100% every game.

Bothroyd is a Premiership class player, but with his attitude, i'm not sure he will ever do well in the Premiership. When things go Jay's way, he is unplayable at Championship level and is the most complete striker in the division by a mile. But when Jay doesn't get his own way, suffers a tough tackle or the ref doesn't give him a decision, he throws the towel in and it's like playing with 10 players. Also, even if Jay did get his head down and gave 100% every match, he would never be a prolific scorer as despite his size, he prefers to drift wide instead of being the target man in the box getting on the end of crosses, simply because he is scared of getting clattered by a defender and getting hurt.

This brings me onto another point, and this is a big mistake we have made since Bothroyd's been with us. I strongly believe that with Jay drifting wide so often when attacking, he needs to be playing up front with a target man. The times Jay drifts wide with the ball, and then there's only Chopra or Bellamy or McCormack or whoever else is up front with him at the time makes it completely pointless for Jay to cross the ball in the air, and this is why our attacks are so predictable. We cannot hit teams quick on the break down the flanks as we do not have an attacker who can run into the box and be a threat in the air with Bothroyd not getting into the box. If Bothroyd joined QPR and played his game drifting wide, he would have Helguson, Hulse or Agyemang in the box waiting to get on the end of his crosses, and there would be a far greater chance of any of those 3 heading a cross in than any of our strikers (apart from Jon Parkin).

Jay is a big fairy, but as already said, if Warnock managed him, he may put 100% in every game like Taarabt has done this season, and he may even put him some physical challenges and throw himself on the end of crosses like a proper target man. If there's one manager who can get Jay playing to his full potential, it's Warnock, and after what he's done with Taarabt this season, I wouldn't doubt that overall, Bothroyd would be a fantastic signing for QPR with Warnock managing him. However, it would definitely be a gamble, and to be honest, I think it would be 50/50 whether the gamble would pay off or not. However, if QPR get Jay Bothroyd on a free, the gamble will definitely be worth taking and I think Warnock knows this and believes he can get Jay firing on all cylinders for QPR.

Sat May 21, 2011 8:30 pm

how could you afford bothroyd, he an engerland international. carol went for 35 million plus? :roll: :lol:

Sat May 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Bothroyd is a far better player than Graham. To be honest I think QPR have dodged a bullet by missing out on Graham. Remember, he has only had one good season at Championship level and to be honest, I would never see him scoring this many goals in a season again at Championship level, nevermind the Premiership. Graham is a good striker at Championship level, but is not Premiership quality. With that said, if you asked me what player I would rather in our team throughout the whole season, I would choose Graham over Bothroyd every time, simply because with Graham, you're guaranteed 100% every game.

Bothroyd is a Premiership class player, but with his attitude, i'm not sure he will ever do well in the Premiership. When things go Jay's way, he is unplayable at Championship level and is the most complete striker in the division by a mile. But when Jay doesn't get his own way, suffers a tough tackle or the ref doesn't give him a decision, he throws the towel in and it's like playing with 10 players. Also, even if Jay did get his head down and gave 100% every match, he would never be a prolific scorer as despite his size, he prefers to drift wide instead of being the target man in the box getting on the end of crosses, simply because he is scared of getting clattered by a defender and getting hurt.

This brings me onto another point, and this is a big mistake we have made since Bothroyd's been with us. I strongly believe that with Jay drifting wide so often when attacking, he needs to be playing up front with a target man. The times Jay drifts wide with the ball, and then there's only Chopra or Bellamy or McCormack or whoever else is up front with him at the time makes it completely pointless for Jay to cross the ball in the air, and this is why our attacks are so predictable. We cannot hit teams quick on the break down the flanks as we do not have an attacker who can run into the box and be a threat in the air with Bothroyd not getting into the box. If Bothroyd joined QPR and played his game drifting wide, he would have Helguson, Hulse or Agyemang in the box waiting to get on the end of his crosses, and there would be a far greater chance of any of those 3 heading a cross in than any of our strikers (apart from Jon Parkin).

Jay is a big fairy, but as already said, if Warnock managed him, he may put 100% in every game like Taarabt has done this season, and he may even put him some physical challenges and throw himself on the end of crosses like a proper target man. If there's one manager who can get Jay playing to his full potential, it's Warnock, and after what he's done with Taarabt this season, I wouldn't doubt that overall, Bothroyd would be a fantastic signing for QPR with Warnock managing him. However, it would definitely be a gamble, and to be honest, I think it would be 50/50 whether the gamble would pay off or not. However, if QPR get Jay Bothroyd on a free, the gamble will definitely be worth taking and I think Warnock knows this and believes he can get Jay firing on all cylinders for QPR.

Thanks mate that was an excellent read & has given me plenty of food for thought.

Sat May 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Bothroyd is a far better player than Graham. To be honest I think QPR have dodged a bullet by missing out on Graham. Remember, he has only had one good season at Championship level and to be honest, I would never see him scoring this many goals in a season again at Championship level, nevermind the Premiership. Graham is a good striker at Championship level, but is not Premiership quality. With that said, if you asked me what player I would rather in our team throughout the whole season, I would choose Graham over Bothroyd every time, simply because with Graham, you're guaranteed 100% every game.

Thanks mate that was an excellent read & has given me plenty of food for thought.

My pleasure Stan, we all enjoy your posts as many other posters have already told you. Always a pleasure to contribute with fans like yourself on this forum. Good luck in the Premiership next season, it will be interesting to see what players you bring in during the summer and if Taarabt does it in the Premiership. Is there any truth that you may be sacking Warnock to bring in a big name manager? If so that's madness!