Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FOR ALL THOSE SLATING JAY BOTHROYD

Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 pm

I Know he in the second half of the season wasnt up to a good standard but think about all the crucial goals he scored for us this season?.

But where do you think we would have finished without him in the side?

Crucial goals against
Sheff Utd 1-1 :ayatollah: -1 point
we would have been beaten at home by Burton in the cup :ayatollah:
Bristol City 3-2 :ayatollah: - 2 points
Millwall 2-1 :ayatollah: -2 points
Coventry (87th minute winner) 2-1 :ayatollah: - 2 points
Reading 1-1 :ayatollah: -1 point
Scunthorpe (scored 2) 4-2 :ayatollah: -2points
Reading 2-2 :ayatollah: -1point
QPR 2-2 :ayatollah: -1point

Overall thats a loss off 12 points without him in the side

We finished on 80 points in 4th place.
take away the 12 points.

WE WOULD HAVE FINISHED 7TH AND NOT EVEN MADE THE PLAY OFFS.

so just saying... Give him a little bit of a break :ayatollah:

Re: FOR ALL THOSE SLATING JAY BOTHROYD

Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Here Here!!!! People on here wanting to keeps Chopra and slagging Jay.

In my honest opinion he is the most talented player i have seen in a City shirt and will sorely miss him. Had his faults but the pluses far outweighed that.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:06 pm

adamt958 wrote:I Know he in the second half of the season wasnt up to a good standard but think about all the crucial goals he scored for us this season?.

But where do you think we would have finished without him in the side?

Crucial goals against
Sheff Utd 1-1 :ayatollah: -1 point
we would have been beaten at home by Burton in the cup :ayatollah:
Bristol City 3-2 :ayatollah: - 2 points
Millwall 2-1 :ayatollah: -2 points
Coventry (87th minute winner) 2-1 :ayatollah: - 2 points
Reading 1-1 :ayatollah: -1 point
Scunthorpe (scored 2) 4-2 :ayatollah: -2points
Reading 2-2 :ayatollah: -1point
QPR 2-2 :ayatollah: -1point

Overall thats a loss off 12 points without him in the side

We finished on 80 points in 4th place.
take away the 12 points.

WE WOULD HAVE FINISHED 7TH AND NOT EVEN MADE THE PLAY OFFS.

so just saying... Give him a little bit of a break :ayatollah:

3pts for a win. And I understand where you are coming from but you cant exactly say that, it may have been different if he wasnt playing or we couldve won them all!! dont get me wrong he had a fantastic first half of the season. But his ego got in the way of him and he knew prem teams wanted him plus he got his engerland cap so he couldnt give a shite. :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:06 pm

stuckster wrote:Here Here!!!! People on here wanting to keeps Chopra and slagging Jay.

In my honest opinion he is the most talented player i have seen in a City shirt and will sorely miss him. Had his faults but the pluses far outweighed that.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Take away the points gained by Bothroyd.

Add the points gained if Naylor hadn't played and thus cost us goals.

Guess which would have had the biggest effect?

face it - Bothroyd played at times late in the season as if the clubs fate was irrelevant as he'd be off. Jones made him the focal point of our play, well, mistake for a number of reasons.

When the crunch came, our big time players were nowhere to be found. One of which was Bothroyd.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Jay lost his way, he's a victim of his own success. I've been very disappointed with him since the call up as everyone else is. He is capable of working hard but how many times can you say in the last few months he worked hard. Cant blame fans for feeling let down now can you?

Thu May 19, 2011 8:15 pm

f**k bothroyd and chopra! Dont want either here next season

Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm

rb1976 wrote:Jay lost his way, he's a victim of his own success. I've been very disappointed with him since the call up as everyone else is. He is capable of working hard but how many times can you say in the last few months he worked hard. Cant blame fans for feeling let down now can you?

Im just trying to bring in some positive thinking :ayatollah:
he did well against QPR but thats about it

Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 pm

this is a ludicrous argument - if Bothroyd hadn't played, we would have had another striker in his stead - surely that striker would have scored some goals!!!!!!

Alos, that striker wouldn't have contributed to ano of the off the field nonsense (and its been said on here that wasn't true of Bothroyd) and we may have had a much better team spirit!

Thu May 19, 2011 8:21 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:f**k bothroyd and chopra! Dont want either here next season

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Die Walkure wrote:this is a ludicrous argument - if Bothroyd hadn't played, we would have had another striker in his stead - surely that striker would have scored some goals!!!!!!

Alos, that striker wouldn't have contributed to ano of the off the field nonsense (and its been said on here that wasn't true of Bothroyd) and we may have had a much better team spirit!

pretty much what i said :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 pm

what about the header he shit out of with the keeper on tues. hes a puff

Thu May 19, 2011 8:23 pm

So what you're saying is we didn't get promoted with him in the side and wouldn't have without him.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:24 pm

blooobirds wrote:So what you're saying is we didn't get promoted with him in the side and wouldn't have without him.

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:25 pm

blooobirds wrote:So what you're saying is we didn't get promoted with him in the side and wouldn't have without him.

Basically ... yes :lol:

i can see what you are all saying and i admit that its not a very good argument but he did score some cruicial goals this season :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 pm

adamt958 wrote:

i can see what you are all saying and i admit that its not a very good argument but he did score some cruicial goals this season :ayatollah:

i agree, he did, in his good half of the season :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
adamt958 wrote:

i agree, he did, in his good half of the season :ayatollah:

:ayatollah:

Im gutted like the most of us and i think he should have been dropped for Parkin as soon as he went downhill but im trying to cheer people up :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:29 pm

adamt958 wrote:
rb1976 wrote:Jay lost his way, he's a victim of his own success. I've been very disappointed with him since the call up as everyone else is. He is capable of working hard but how many times can you say in the last few months he worked hard. Cant blame fans for feeling let down now can you?

Im just trying to bring in some positive thinking :ayatollah:
he did well against QPR but thats about it

If he played his socks off all season and gave it 110% I would advocate for him but like a said everything changed and the reality is that that was the high point of his career (the call up). Cant see him ever playing for England again so who is left to impress. The fans of a Welsh club? Hardly. Lets not forget Jay has been a Prem player and has slipped down to this level which I'm sure must be a bitter pill for him to swallow, especially as he is getting into the twilight years of his career. How much motivation do you have then? We were worried about losing him in January but in hindsight would that been a bad thing, I remeber everyone saying he was key to promotion back then and rightly so in the form and effort he put in but that soon ended. Good luck Jay anyway overall you have been great for this club and good luck whereever you go :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:29 pm

quote="Bridgend_bluebird"]
adamt958 wrote:

i agree, he did, in his good half of the season :ayatollah:[/quote]
:ayatollah:

Im gutted like the most of us and i think he should have been dropped for Parkin as soon as he went downhill but im trying to cheer people up :ayatollah:[/quote]

fair play :ayatollah: :ayatollah: i dont need cheering up anyway so nurgghh :lol: :D :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Id make him the highest paid player and do everything I could to keep him but he is off....We wont realise how good he is until he is gone sadly

Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Id make him the highest paid player and do everything I could to keep him but he is off....We wont realise how good he is until he is gone sadly

I will say this: if it is true that he was only offered about a grand or so extra a week than he was on at the start of the season, then that was a disgrace. I remember a few reputable posters saying on here that the increase offered to him was meagre.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Id make him the highest paid player and do everything I could to keep him but he is off....We wont realise how good he is until he is gone sadly

I will say this: if it is true that he was only offered about a grand or so extra a week than he was on at the start of the season, then that was a disgrace. I remember a few reputable posters saying on here that the increase offered to him was meagre.

Your right, I remember reading the same. Any decent player with one year left on contract will run it down and see what options he has, why wouldn't he especially with poor offers like we offered Jay.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Your right, I remember reading the same. Any decent player with one year left on contract will run it down and see what options he has, why wouldn't he especially with poor offers like we offered Jay.

We're all going to have different opinions on how the situation progressed as the season went on, be it Jay personally or whatever. However, we need to ignore that and see that an offer should've been made that was realistic and fair to his position in the team - considering the wages of other players, this wasn't done :(

Thu May 19, 2011 8:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

We've large debts.

Malaysians aren't giving us charity.

Wage bill exceeded turnover.

1k a week more? Might be considered meagre, but it would be folly to splash the cash on wages and expect the Malaysians to bankroll us forever.

Turnover needs to be increased. Wage bill needs reducing. That's the simple reality of things. Can't continue ignoring it.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Nerd, I can see your point as well. It is a tricky one. I wish I had an approximation of others wages as a comparison, though of course that wouldn't really solve anything.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 pm

That's fine but you have to then have to expect to close multi million pound players.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 pm

If we lose players as a result, we lose players.

The clubs financial state long term is way, way more important.

Besides, what have those high wages sanctioned by Ridsdale gotten us? Do Norwich pay higher wages, hell, do Swansea?

We either continue pumping in cash into wages that the club cannot afford, or we look to do things a better way. By reducing the wage bill.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 pm

bothroyd was right pissed off . after the england call up. same day as carol. few weeks later . carol sold for 30 odd million. bothroyd .no offers. he wont get another england call up on his performances :roll:

Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 pm

ninianblue wrote:bothroyd was right pissed off . after the england call up. same day as carol. few weeks later . carol sold for 30 odd million. bothroyd .no offers. he wont get another england call up on his performances :roll:

Like a Chinese Lantern floating into the sky ..............

Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 pm

bollocks.

he is lazy.

another striker would have probably scored as many goals with the service, stayed on their feet more and created more goals than he did.

his attitude on the whole had a negative attitude on the whole team at times.