Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ray wilkins

Thu May 19, 2011 12:44 pm

what's peoples opinions on him as jone's replacement?

He seem's to be very well respected in footballing circles.
Could be the one that starts people talking sbout teams playing the CARDIFF WAY.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Ray wilkins

Thu May 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Ray wilkins gets my vote,he has done it all as a player,well connected with the premiership managers.
Got to be worth a shot.

Thu May 19, 2011 12:50 pm

No chance, at least not as our manager. His pedigree has been built up as an assistant manager and he has no experience as a manager. A very good assistant, a potential clamity as a manager and I don't actually think he would bother in that capacity anyway

Thu May 19, 2011 12:54 pm

good point not proven .....but worth a punt to be honest.

Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:No chance, at least not as our manager. His pedigree has been built up as an assistant manager and he has no experience as a manager. A very good assistant, a potential clamity as a manager and I don't actually think he would bother in that capacity anyway

No manager will ever get experience if they're not given a chance.

Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm

lord raglan wrote:good point not proven .....but worth a punt to be honest.

Why is he worth a punt? It's not some striker we can take a gamble on up front and, if he doesn;t work out, stick him on the sub's bench. This is our manager we're talking about, the man who will be shaping the club and the way we play, the players we sign. "Taking a punt" doesn't come into it

Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:No chance, at least not as our manager. His pedigree has been built up as an assistant manager and he has no experience as a manager. A very good assistant, a potential clamity as a manager and I don't actually think he would bother in that capacity anyway

No manager will ever get experience if they're not given a chance.

I'd rather they had the experience before they come to us. besides, it's not as if Wilkins is some raw, up and coming manager. I don't think he'd bother taking a manager's job at all at his time of life

Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 pm

sean o`driscoll and wilkins if we cant get o`neill

Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm

as mutch as its kills me to say it wasn't brendon roger's a nobody at chelsea compared to butch wilkins.
But doesn't his team play good footy. And have done better than us this year.
Everyone entitled to there view that's what a forum is about.

Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 pm

lord raglan wrote:as mutch as its kills me to say it wasn't brendon roger's a nobody at chelsea compared to butch wilkins.
But doesn't his team play good footy. And have done better than us this year.
Everyone entitled to there view that's what a forum is about.

exactly

Villas Boas was assistant under Mourinho, he was a nothing manager. Hes now there manager, they've won the league easily, okay its an easier league given his squad and resources and the opposition, but they've won the europe as well.

Worth giving them a chance. Sometimes these assistants know as much as their bosses. I wouldn't mind a manager who knows half of what Mourinho knows tbf.

Thu May 19, 2011 1:25 pm

lord raglan wrote:what's peoples opinions on him as jone's replacement?

He seem's to be very well respected in footballing circles.
Could be the one that starts people talking sbout teams playing the CARDIFF WAY.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Possibly, good call :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Has everyone forgotten his disastrous stint as manager at qpr and millwall? Think he flopped at fulham as well ten years ago!! Good assistant, terrible manager! No chance!!

Thu May 19, 2011 1:44 pm

might do the job but would never get us out of this league, and he's the shittest commentator I've ever heard

Thu May 19, 2011 2:53 pm

You do want out of the Championship the correct way don't you? Given a choice between Ray 'Super' Wilkins and Dave Jones I would have Jones every day of the week. Wilkins was one of the architects that helped send us into 15 years of oblivion and anything he has done since has not convinced me that he has learned a great deal. Nice to have as a go between for an Italian manager and a load of mercenary foreign superstar footballers, but that is about all he is good for nowadays, oh and also putting in appearances as an Uncle Fester lookalike now and again.

Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Has everyone forgotten his disastrous stint as manager at qpr and millwall? Think he flopped at fulham as well ten years ago!! Good assistant, terrible manager! No chance!!

Thank you, I was trying to think whether he'd managed before and was wracking my brains to think of where he'd been. It makes me even more convinced he's not the man for us