Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

meeting today - hughton

Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm

hughton has had talks about becoming new city boss,its all down to city now,they know the score,next 48 hours are vital!

Re: meeting today - hughton

Wed May 18, 2011 9:42 pm

well if its true it,ll be him and bellers then

Wed May 18, 2011 9:58 pm

awwwh ive already got a chant for Di Matteo :lol:

Di matteo la la la la la la Di matteo la la la la la Di matteo la la la la la Di Matteo la la la la la (bad i know :lol: )

Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Hmmm, Hughton not for me....prefer someone like, say, Martin Allen if we want a young, dynamic manager

Would he be any better than DJ in all reality?? Again, Hmmmm....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 am

NO THANKS

Thu May 19, 2011 6:34 am

The Newcastle team of last season even DJ would have won promotion with them , so why do fans think Hughton is the best choice for CCFC now ??

Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 am

Chris Hughton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chris Hughton

Hughton while manager of Newcastle United
Personal information
Full name Christopher William Gerard Hughton
Date of birth 11 December 1958 (age 52)
Place of birth Stratford, England
Height 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)
Playing position Full back
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1977–1990 Tottenham Hotspur 297 (12)
1990–1992 West Ham United 32 (0)
1992–1993 Brentford 32 (0)
Total 361 (12)
National team
1979–1991 Republic of Ireland 53 (0)
Teams managed
1998-2008 Tottenham Hotspur (assistant)
2003–2005 Republic of Ireland (assistant)
2009–2010 Newcastle United
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Christopher William Gerard "Chris" Hughton[1] (born 11 December 1958 in Stratford, London) is a professional football manager and former player. He is currently without a club, having previously been the manager of Premier League club Newcastle United.

After making his professional debut at age 18, Hughton spent most of his playing career with Tottenham Hotspur as a left back, leaving in 1990 after 13 years. After relatively brief spells with West Ham United and Brentford, Hughton retired from playing in 1993 aged 34.

He also earned 53 caps for the Republic of Ireland national team, becoming their first mixed-race international. He started all three games of UEFA Euro 1988 in West Germany.

From 1993 to 2007 Hughton served as a coach and then assistant manager for Tottenham. He joined Newcastle as first team coach in 2008, and following their relegation, Hughton as caretaker manager took charge of their first season in the Championship, before being announced as permanent manager in October 2009. He was sacked as manager by Mike Ashley on 6 December 2010.

Contents [hide]
1 Club career
2 International career
3 Coaching career
3.1 Tottenham Hotspur
3.2 Newcastle United
4 Managerial career
4.1 Newcastle United caretaker
4.2 Permanent appointment
4.3 After Newcastle
5 Managerial statistics
6 Personal life
7 Honours
7.1 Player
7.2 Manager
7.3 Individual
8 References
9 External links
[edit]Club career

This section requires expansion.
A product of Tottenham Hotspur's youth system, the left back debuted for the first team aged 18, and amassed in all competitions, more than 300 appearances. In November 1990 West Ham United signed Hughton, initially on loan, then on a free transfer[2] with West Ham manager Billy Bonds signing Hughton as cover for the injured Julian Dicks. [3] Locally-born Hughton described the move as "In a sense it was like going home. "I was born about 10 minutes away from the ground. My mum and dad still live there."[3] He played two seasons at West Ham making 43 appearances in all competitions without scoring.[2] In 1992 he signed for Brentford, again on a free transfer.[2] He played one season for Brentford, before retiring aged 34.[4]

[edit]International career

Hughton won 53 caps for the Republic of Ireland from 1979 to 1991.[4] He was part of the nation's final squads for Euro 1988 — playing in all three matches — and the 1990 World Cup (where he did not play, Steve Staunton playing instead). Hughton was awarded a testimonial which was played on 29 May 1995 at Lansdowne Road. He would also serve as the national team's assistant manager under Brian Kerr, from February 2003 to October 2005.

Hughton was the first mixed-race footballer to represent the Republic of Ireland at international level.[5]

[edit]Coaching career

[edit]Tottenham Hotspur
From June 1993 to October 2007, Hughton was a coach at Tottenham Hotspur, initially in charge of the under-21 team, then the reserve side in 1999, being promoted to the first team two years later. In his time at Spurs, he served under ten different managers: Ray Clemence, Doug Livermore, Osvaldo Ardiles, Gerry Francis, Christian Gross, George Graham, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat, Jacques Santini and Martin Jol. He also served as caretaker manager on two separate occasions. With Hughton on board, Tottenham finished in fifth place for two consecutive seasons (2005–06 and 2006–07), while also winning the Football League Cup in 1998–99. On 25 October 2007, Hughton was dismissed as assistant manager along with then manager Jol, following a UEFA Cup home defeat (in the group stages) to Getafe.[6]

[edit]Newcastle United
On 22 February 2008, he was appointed first team coach at Newcastle United by director of football Dennis Wise, joining Kevin Keegan's coaching staff, working primarily on defence with Steve Round.[7] In his first game, Newcastle beat former club Tottenham Hotspur 4–1, at White Hart Lane.

On 8 September 2008, Hughton was named caretaker manager of Newcastle following the departures of Keegan, Terry McDermott and Adam Sadler.[8] After a defeat to newly promoted, but in-form Hull City and a League Cup exit to Tottenham Hotspur though, Hughton stood down as caretaker and was replaced on a temporary basis by Joe Kinnear. Hughton was promoted to Assistant Manager after the Magpies appointed Colin Calderwood as First-Team Coach on 26 January 2009. In February, Kinnear took ill before a game with West Bromwich Albion, Hughton took charge of that game which Newcastle won 3–2. In the week following the win it was revealed that Kinnear needed a heart bypass operation and that Hughton along with Colin Calderwood and Paul Barron would have to take charge of the team for the next few weeks and possibly months. However, defeats to Bolton Wanderers, Manchester United and Arsenal, and draws against Everton and Hull City resulted in Newcastle appointing Alan Shearer as interim manager until the end of the season.

[edit]Managerial career

[edit]Newcastle United caretaker
During the off-season of 2009, owner Mike Ashley announced he was selling the club, Hughton was again left with the job of caretaker manager, when the club failed to further secure the services of Alan Shearer. This was followed by a statement from Llambias saying "Mike Ashley feels it would be unwise to appoint a team manager when the club is for sale", leaving Hughton in charge for the start of the 2009–10 season. Hughton's first two games in charge of the new season saw inspired performances in a 1–1 draw with West Bromwich Albion away from home and a memorable 3–0 win against Reading at home, which ended in Shola Ameobi getting his first ever hat trick. He continued Newcastle's unbeaten start of the new season with a 1–0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday which also featured his first transfer signing of the season Danny Simpson. Hughton also signed Peter Løvenkrands and Fabrice Pancrate on free transfers and completed the loan signings of Zurab Khizanishvili[9] and Marlon Harewood.[citation needed]

[edit]Permanent appointment
A positive start to the 2009–10 season saw Hughton win successive manager of the month awards for August and September and then again in November, resulting in the board naming him as the new permanent manager of the club, after two stints as caretaker.[10] Hughton's league start to his managerial career has been the best in Newcastle's history. In January Newcastle signed Mike Williamson, Wayne Routledge and Leon Best in permanent transfers and Fitz Hall and Patrick Van Aanholt on loan. On 5 April 2010 Newcastle, under Hughton's control, confirmed their promotion back to the Premier League prior to a match against Sheffield United, after Nottingham Forest failed to win their match against Cardiff City. They then went on to win the game 2–1 with a Peter Løvenkrands penalty and a Bicycle kick from Kevin Nolan to earn them a place back in the Premier League after just one season away.[11] Newcastle then went on to clinch the championship title on 19 April 2010 after a 2–0 victory over Plymouth Argyle, Winning 30, Drawing 12 and Losing just 4 of their 46 matches. Newcastle were unbeaten at home for the entire 2009–10 season including both cup competitions, clinching promotion in record time.

Hughton managing Newcastle in 2010.
During pre season for the 2010–11 season Hughton signed Sol Campbell and Dan Gosling for free whilst getting James Perch for an undisclosed fee in order to help maintain survival in the Premiership. His first home win on return to the Premier League came on 22 August, when Newcastle thrashed Aston Villa 6–0, with 3 goals from Andy Carroll, 2 goals from Kevin Nolan and 1 goal from Joey Barton.[12] Hughton has received praise for his calm management style to stabilise the club, shrewd signings and guiding Newcastle back to the league and securing a good start to life in the Premier League. Prior to Newcastle's 1–1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers and away win at Everton, he completed the signings of Cheik Tioté and Hatem Ben Arfa. Despite leading his newly promoted side to healthy ninth place by the end of October, unrest came when star player Andy Carroll was arrested for assault. Newcastle followed this with wins at West Ham United and a memorable 5–1 derby victory against Sunderland.[13] Both before and after the victory Hughton received the backing of his players and the Newcastle supporters.[14] Later in 2010, Hughton led United to their first win against Arsenal in five years, beating Arsenal 1–0 at the Emirates Stadium with an Andy Carroll header.

Following a 3–1 defeat at West Brom in December, Hughton became the first Premier League manager of the 2010–11 season to lose his job, as he was dismissed by Managing Director Derek Llambias. The decision was ill received by the players and the supporters, with veteran defender Sol Campbell claiming that the decision "makes no sense", and local commentator and ex-player John Anderson saying he was "devastated and angry" by the sacking.[15] The sacking was also condemned by Lord Alan Sugar,[16] Colin Calderwood,[17] and Alan Shearer.[18] The club stated that "an individual with more managerial experience [was] needed to take the club forward".[19] Peter Fraser of Sky Sports stated that Hughton "brought calmness, dignity and respect to the Magpies' dugout",[20] whilst Phil McNulty of the BBC said that "Newcastle's followers have been loyal and grateful to Hughton" and that "Ashley will no doubt face further accusations that he is out of touch with football's realities".[21] Before the match against Liverpool, on 11 December, campaigners from United For Newcastle organised a protest outside St James' Park as an opportunity for hundreds of Newcastle United supporters to both say 'thank you' to Hughton, and to show their anger towards Mike Ashley's decision to sack the popular manager.[22]

[edit]After Newcastle
Following West Bromwich Albion's decision to sack manager Roberto Di Matteo, Hughton was seen as the favourite for the job.[23] Instead though, with Hughton's insistence of bringing into his own staff being cited as a major stumbling block, it was former Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson who was appointed to the position.[24]

[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton

Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 am

Sven Ghali wrote:Martin Allen

This is a joke yeah? Jones is ten times the manager Martin Allen is! And no I don't want Jones to stay, but all this talk about Passion is a joke, especially if its more important that actually being a decent and successful manager.

Thu May 19, 2011 7:20 am

ccfcwelshlad wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:Martin Allen

This is a joke yeah? Jones is ten times the manager Martin Allen is! And no I don't want Jones to stay, but all this talk about Passion is a joke, especially if its more important that actually being a decent and successful manager.

Agreed, Allen has done very little with the numerous clubs he has managed. Tends to be used as an "impact" manager in the lower leagues with varying levels of success/failure. Passion alone will not get you promoted out of the Championship, there has to be a good level of management ability too.

As for Hughton, not an exciting appointments but could do a good job alongside Bellers. He didn't just get Newcastle up, he started off in the Premiership very well and was very unlucky to lose his job. Pardew had to add very little to the squad to ensure they easily stayed up so Hughton has a pretty good recent record.

Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 am

Vintage 63 wrote:The Newcastle team of last season even DJ would have won promotion with them , so why do fans think Hughton is the best choice for CCFC now ??

he also had 3 times are wage budget to get them out the league so lets be fair most managers would have done it with them that year i dont think hes the answer tbh :?

Thu May 19, 2011 7:30 am

Mick McCarthy shows more "passion" than any other manager I can think of but I wouldn't want him at the club. Martin Allen? Been in and out of lower league jobs all his management career so why, all of a sudden is he good enough to take us on that final step? I wouldn't want Hughton, either. The reason he did so well at Newcastle is that he'd been there so many years, he knew the club and the players inside out. If he came here, he would need plenty of time, and I don't think the fans would have the patience. For me, it has to be Roberto Di Matteo. He did well at West Brom and I thought he was unlucky to get sacked.

Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 am

Roberto Martinez anybody ? :lol:

Thu May 19, 2011 7:38 am

Nottage Blue wrote:For me, it has to be Roberto Di Matteo. He did well at West Brom and I thought he was unlucky to get sacked.

Good call, from memory he didn't spend that much money either did he ?

Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:For me, it has to be Roberto Di Matteo. He did well at West Brom and I thought he was unlucky to get sacked.

The thing is about West Brom is that the board don't allow the manager to overspend on wages or transfers, which makes them a well run club. Well, apart from sacking Di Matteo, that is :lol: He should have been given more time and, if he was, I'm sure he would have turned things around. But could their loss be our gain?

Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 am

Midfield general wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

how about the money they paid for Odemwingie..? They paid £12 million for him

I think you have to spend big every now and again if the right player comes along who you feel will benefit your team, but generally he was pretty conservative with his spending

Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 am

He has had a successful season for WBA and if anything is worth more now

Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 am

Martin Allen? No chance!!!!!!! Not at this level!! As for Hughton I personally would be disapointed with this appointment! He was very lucky at Newcastle as he had the makings of a decent squad. He did a good job with it but any new man has to have a good record in wheeling and dealing now that we are down to the bare bones and have a lot more on their CV than just 1 season! In my opinion Hughton would flop big time!

Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 am

Midfield general wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

how about the money they paid for Odemwingie..? They paid £12 million for him

I meant his spending to get them up from the Championship.

Once you get there you have to spend to be in with a chance and, in any event, Odemwingie's goals look like they've kept them up so arguably £12m well spent.

Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 am

Mogs wrote:hughton has had talks about becoming new city boss,its all down to city now,they know the score,next 48 hours are vital!

Why would the club be interviewing for a job which at the moment is NOT vacant.

Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 am

RichardBluebird wrote:
Mogs wrote:hughton has had talks about becoming new city boss,its all down to city now,they know the score,next 48 hours are vital!

Why would the club be interviewing for a job which at the moment is NOT vacant.

I think your being a little naive there, alot of clubs approach another manager before sacking their own. We done it when appointing Jones, if my memory is right wasn't Lawrence still in charge when Jones was interviewed.