Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHY HUGHTON??

Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Whats all this fuss with Chris Hughton about?? What has he actually achieved?? He got promoted with Newcastle - easy enough with the squad he had.

He is a coach by trade, and I fear he would not be strong enough charachter should he be presented with the significantly tougher challenge of taking us on next season.

Me view - we need a Colin Wanker, a Martin O'Neil or a Big Sam Allerdyce.

Re: WHY HUGHTON??

Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 pm

I agree in the sense that Hughton is some what unproven. But I'd also say that if we had gone up, which we should have. The same criticism could have been levelled at Dave Jones in that the squad was so strong going up was easy.

I have always backed DJ as he is the manager of our club, he took the club forward each season etc. But now the season is over I think it's probably best to freshen things up, thank DJ for his efforts over the years and look to change things. The run to the cup final in 2008 will be something I'll never forget and the excitment up to the point of the game at Wembley last season were great times but I think the time has now come.

Having conceded that a change is now needed what are the options? Martin O'Neil is obviously a top manager with a top record and would definitely take the club forward. I share your concerns with Hughton not being a strong enough character although he did take action to settle Andy Carroll down and keep him off the piss so maybe we're being unfair.

Sam Allardyce would definitely bring discipline to the side but his style of football isn't really my cup of tea. That said he may be what's needed. Also the lack of passion often levelled at DJ may be levelled at Sam when he decides to watch the game from the stands, although he is animated when in the dugout.

I'm a believer that management of clubs is a horses for courses type arrangement as proved by Roy Hodgson at Liverpool obviously a quality manager that just didn't fit with that particular club.

So who woould that horse be for the mighty bluebirds????

Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I think he would be good, He would bring fresh ideas to the camp which is what we need.I also remember when Newcastle were in the championship they would hold on to 1-0 leads and grind out results.Something Mr Jones could never do.
Give him a chance with a new look squad, Lets enjoy the ride. :ayatollah:

Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Bowmonster wrote:I think he would be good, He would bring fresh ideas to the camp which is what we need.I also remember when Newcastle were in the championship they would hold on to 1-0 leads and grind out results.Something Mr Jones could never do.

With a squad of Prem players in the championship.

Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

nerd wrote:
Bowmonster wrote:I think he would be good, He would bring fresh ideas to the camp which is what we need.I also remember when Newcastle were in the championship they would hold on to 1-0 leads and grind out results.Something Mr Jones could never do.

With a squad of Prem players in the championship.

Also did alright in the prem didn't he ? Sacked him when they were half way :roll: