Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Still in shell-shock

Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 am

Another promotion dream over, and for me that's one too many now.

There's no doubting that Dave Jones has probably been our best ever manager, and for that I thank him. I'm sure none of us ever dreamed we'd see our team playing at Wembley once, let alone three times. Those trips will stay with me forever, and I am grateful that he provided those moments for us, he shall always be remembered for what he has done for this club, but it is time to go. I feel that he's taken us as far as he can. Jones is one of the best second tier manager, but that's all he'll ever be. He'll never progress above that, and with him in charge I can't help but feel neither will we.

There was an air of worry around the stadium at the start of the game. A few people I spoke to all said they weren't confident, and I wasn't either. I wasn't nearly as I excited as I was before Leicester last year.

My first gripe with yesterdays game was those stupid banner/clapper things. They were pathetic. It's the type of thing Chelsea do (I seem to remember them giving everyone flags or something during a big CL game last year), having to give them out to create an atmosphere. We're a lot better than that.

Then we had the game. Don't get me wrong, we started out the better side, much better. Reading barely had a sniff, but we couldn't capitalise on our chances. In reality, we didn't really create that many chances, but we were the better side. Granted, we should have had a penalty (either for the Chopra man handling or the Oli push) but we can't dwell on those things. Another day, yes we might have had one of them given our way, but we didn't and we must live with that. Yes, Reading had a penalty but they also made the most of the chances we gifted them. I also don't think that the hand ball blocking the Chopra shot was a penalty.

What quite happened with the first goal, I don't know. For starts, why didn't Keinan just hook the ball clear instead of trying to get it back to Bywater. We were unlucky at the fact that it hit Kev, but it was still fairly simple for us to deal with. What possessed that idiot in goal, Bywater, to come charging out of his box, I'll never know. I think after the stick he got for not coming out to get the ball a few minutes earlier, he was determined to prove everyone wrong and deal with it. He should have left it, and not come charging out of his box, there's no doubt about that. Bad goalkeeping. Kev could have easily hooked it over his head up the pitch, or into touch, but no Bywater wanted to be the hero. Then, he kicks it straight at Long (or Kev?) who were practically right next to him. Watching the replays, he's pretty much kicked it sideways into them. What a doughnut.

Our heads went down from there, and our mentality went out of the window. We'd been playing some decent football before that goal, but then we reduced ourselves to the long ball, and kick and hopes. In reality, Bothroyd doesn't win much in the air, and we had little chance playing this way.

Their second goal was a penalty, no doubt about that. Watching the Football League Show last night, they pointed out Keinan was just blocked off as Mill's got the run on him. They pointed out that this happened in the first leg, so Keinan should have been aware of it. Granted, he should have, and I'm disappointed he didn't- after all, he's been very solid since he arrived. I have to question the coaching though, and how much they pointed this out to Keinan. I'm not saying they didn't, and there's a high possibility that they didn't- and it's 100% Keinan's fault. I, however, cannot see Jones, Burton and the rest of the backroom staff re-watching games, and analysing them, and pointing out faults and warnings for the players. That's my view anyway.

I said to some of the fellas around me coming out for the second half that I wasn't confident at all in Jones' ability to change things around, and they agreed. We're all aware of his lack of plan B, and it cost us. 2-0 down, with promotion at stake, it's obvious something big needed to be changed. Yet, we saw now tactical change (formation wise) and we suffered. It was the same thing every time, and Reading easily read it. His substitutions were okay, but didn't make the most of them. Well, the Koumas and Matthews ones were okay, but the Parkin one was dreadful. We're trailing the lead and he brings off our natural goal scorer. Granted, Chops hasn't been great lately (actually been a disgrace) and wasn't playing great but goal scorers don't need to play well, one chance and they can score. I understand the need to get the beast on, but he should have brought Burke off who was clearly struggling. Push Koumas into a central 3, and the Beast up front to make it 3 up top. We also didn't make the most of Matthews. A rampaging attacking full back, and he hardly saw the ball. Matthews has pace, and could have taken advantage of the tiring old man, Griffin, but we didn't make use of it. Koumas annoyed me as well, trying long range passes that kept getting cut out.

Their third goal was pretty much a shambles. Jobi skips past two players, and through a huge gap in our defence. How could we have such a big gap in the centre of our defence?

Some of the fans in the Canton were idiots. Obviously not all, but some younger fans were embarrassing. Oh, I'm not some old fart moaning at the youngsters, I'm only 18 myself. For start, those chanting "sacked in the morning" are stupid twats. Yes, a lot of us want DJ out, but that's not the time to sign it. Support the boys for f**k sake, the game wasn't over! Thankfully it got drowned out by "barmy army" I think it was. Also, the guy who chucked the ball back up into the stand on our goal kick, the daft prick. You had to laugh at the 'fans' at the front of the Canton, jumping up and down and trying to get on the pitch. I noticed almost all of them were in their teens, and trying to show off in front of their mates acting 'hard.' Although, I was expecting someone to run on and punch Bywater. :lol:

So what next? A change is needed throughout the club, I think.

First off, a change in manager. As I said at the start, Jones has taken us as far as he can, and we need a fresh approach as everything is starting to get a bit stale around the club. We all expect the same performances, the same arrogant moans by Jones etc. The fact that the manager and the media don't get on annoys me. That's one of our (the fans) main outlet for information on our club. It's embarrassing. Who should take over? Houghton, O'Neill, Clarke, Allardyce? Nope, there's one man that stands out for me. Roberto Di Matteo. Harshly sacked by WBA, he's got out of this division recently. He also plays wonderful football, and it was a pleasure to watch. I'd love to see us play that type of football under him down here. He also seems a passionate guy, which is good. Failing that, I'd like to see Andy Legg here.

Next we need to change our transfer strategy. Relying on loans has let us down big time this year. Players that don't really care about the club, just here to earn some money. Granted, one or two have been good. Bellamy, obviously, and Oli at times. Ramsey was obviously outstanding, but we were lost after he left. Most of the players will have left the club (returning from loan, or out of contract). I fully expect Bothroyd to leave in his quest for greatness. To be honest, he can f**k off. He's a disgrace, thinking he's better than the club. Class until his England cap, where his ego just imploded and has been poor since. A good player, but I'd prefer half the player, that would battle and stay on his feet! In my opinion, Burke will sign a new contract, whoever is manager next year. He showed he cared yesterday, crying at the final whistle. If Chopra doesn't sort his act out then he can go too. His boozing and lack of care for the club or fans is a disgrace, and has let everyone down, including himself. We as fans have idolised the boy, and this is how he pays us back. I'll be glad to see the back of JET as well. When he came I backed him, especially after a couple of promising first games. Since then though, he's been dire. It just looks like he doesn't care. Waits for the ball to come to him, doesn't get involved in the game, and just genuinely doesn't care. Shouldn't be a winger as he will never track back. Probably the most lazy player I've seen down the City in the 14 or so years I've been going.

I'm unsure about the whole Sam Hammam thing. Completely undecided. If the debts are cleared, then I say go for it- as long as its on a purely footballing basis.

Bit of a huge rant there, so sorry. Kudos if you read it all. It was an especially disappointing end of the season for me, as I'll be off to Uni in England next year, for 3 years, so without a season ticket. I'll miss it, but I'll be there in spirit cheering the lads on in scummy England. :ayatollah:

Re: Still in shell-shock

Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Forgot to add that should the Malaysian's get rid of Jones (which I firmly believe they should) they should do it now. Get a new man in and let him asses the squad and bring in players asap so that we don't miss out on key free transfers.