Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City boss Dave Jones admits future in doubt "

Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13434521.stm

Jones 'needs time' to assess future

Cardiff City boss Dave Jones admits he may not have a future at the club following their failure to win promotion to the Premier League.

Jones saw his side's hopes dashed by Reading's 3-0 Championship play-off semi-final win in the Welsh capital.

"Maybe people think that it's time to move on, or I do, or whatever and I'll assess all that when the time's right," he said.

Reading meet Swansea City on Monday, 30 May at Wembley in the play-off final.

Cardiff missed out on promotion at the end of the 2009-10 season in a 3-2 play-off final defeat by Blackpool.

A year earlier, goal difference denied them a place in the play-offs while Jones' reign has coincided with well-documented financial problems that have restricted the manager's ability to sign and retain players.

Now Jones, who took over in 2005, admitted that his tenure is under scrutiny.

He added: "At the moment I feel lower than a snake's belly.

"I'll take stock of my life, my position and whether I want to [continue].

"And it's whether the owners and the hierarchy of the football club want you to.

"Everybody's future comes into it at a football club.

"That's the life and the job that I'm in so if they feel that it's not been enough or whatever, then you move on or you don't feel you can go any further, then you move on.

"If you feel you can go again... we live in a part of the world where everybody thinks that they can always do a better job.

Cardiff City boss Dave Jones takes stock as his side lose 3-0 to Reading
"We just fell at the final hurdle and that's the hardest thing to take and you've just got to give me my dignity and let me wallow in it.

"And I'll get up tomorrow morning and I'll sift through with the staff and see what'sthe best course of action to take for this football club - or it may be taken out of my hands and they [the club's backers] want to do something else.

"But it's not the time and it's not the place at this moment."

Jones said he retains the hunger to remain and added: "It's my life. It's something I do that I love so I'll always have the hunger.

"Sometimes you mightn't show it because you're not a ranter and a raver and jumping up and down on the line.

"But if you ask the players in there have I got the hunger? I've always had the hunger - it's never gone away.

"So that's not a problem.

"Maybe people think that it's time to move on, or I do, or whatever and I'll assess all that when the time's right.

"But this isn't the time now because I'll make decisions that mightn't be the right ones and I need my time.

"My staff need the time and the players and the owners and the chief exec [Gethin Jenkins] and everything else and we'll go on from there."

Re: " Cardiff City boss Dave Jones admits future in doubt "

Wed May 18, 2011 7:30 am

Dave was ask in the first 3 weeks of the season , if we didnt get up to the prem ,would he go or stay, he said look now is not the time to ask that, It would be something I would have to take a long hard look at. Also it my not be up to me, we will just have to wait and see. But I have been here what , 5/6 years maybe it it would be time for me to move on, I dont know,I will have to sit down and take stock of my life and see where we go to from there.

Wed May 18, 2011 9:35 am

bluebirds23 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13434521.stm

"If you feel you can go again... we live in a part of the world where everybody thinks that they can always do a better job."

:shock: Ouch!

And I thought he loved and respected us by here :lol:

Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 am

This quote from Jones is a clear dig at the fans.

'we live in a part of the world where everybody thinks that they can always do a better job'.

Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 am

Occasional Violins wrote:
bluebirds23 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13434521.stm

"If you feel you can go again... we live in a part of the world where everybody thinks that they can always do a better job."

:shock: Ouch!

And I thought he loved and respected us by here :lol:

:lol:

Wed May 18, 2011 10:20 am

Jones IN. He is the man to take you forward and most Cardiff fans I've spoken with agree on this.

Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 am

NFFC2EuropeanCups wrote:Jones IN. He is the man to take you forward and most Cardiff fans I've spoken with agree on this.

but you have only spoken to 3 :?:

Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 am

Six Years and maybe he has taken us as far as he can if so i thank him for the job he's done and where he has left us which is a top six Championship side but now we need that extra push to give us what we all yearn Premiership football i have been waiting 40 plus years if we keep Dave Jones i think i might be waiting even longer :old:

Wed May 18, 2011 10:50 am

Stan-QPR wrote:This quote from Jones is a clear dig at the fans.

'we live in a part of the world where everybody thinks that they can always do a better job'.

he's wrong i dont think i know most of us could do a better job :lol: