Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

War tours advice please

Mon May 16, 2011 11:10 am

My Boy and me want to do the world War 1 & 2 tour and also visit Auswitch. Any advice on how best to do this IE by coach tours or by Car. Thanks for any help :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: War tours advice please

Mon May 16, 2011 11:18 am

D day landings 60th anniversary I think is coming up.I went to the 40th experience I'll never forget.

Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 pm

god nukes you`re a happy b*stard aye! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon May 16, 2011 12:58 pm

me and jack fancy a normandy one sus it out Steve !!

Mon May 16, 2011 2:06 pm

placid-casual wrote:me and jack fancy a normandy one sus it out Steve !!

Sounds good Jules well be up for that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: will look it up mate

Mon May 16, 2011 2:25 pm

i heard afghanistan is nice this time of the year

Mon May 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:i heard afghanistan is nice this time of the year

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now now Sheriff

Mon May 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:i heard afghanistan is nice this time of the year

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now now Sheriff

;) :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:My Boy and me want to do the world War 1 & 2 tour and also visit Auswitch. Any advice on how best to do this IE by coach tours or by Car. Thanks for any help :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

If you want an organised tour Chief these guys are pretty good..

http://www.battlefieldtours.co.uk/index.htm

They also do bespoke tours where you decide what you want to see they then provide a minibus and driver/guide although I imagine that would be pretty expensive.

If you can take in the Menin Gate in Ypres at sunset, the play the last post, I think its the local firebrigade which is very moving especially after seeing all the graves and reading the ages of those that fell.

Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:My Boy and me want to do the world War 1 & 2 tour and also visit Auswitch. Any advice on how best to do this IE by coach tours or by Car. Thanks for any help :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

If you want an organised tour Chief these guys are pretty good..

http://www.battlefieldtours.co.uk/index.htm

They also do bespoke tours where you decide what you want to see they then provide a minibus and driver/guide although I imagine that would be pretty expensive.

If you can take in the Menin Gate in Ypres at sunset, the play the last post, I think its the local firebrigade which is very moving especially after seeing all the graves and reading the ages of those that fell.

Cheers Willy thanks for that :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 5:24 pm

I went to Auschwitz in 2009 - the best thing to do is to stay in Krakow (it's easy to get cheap flights there) and hire your own taxi driver to go to Auschwitz, which is about an hour away.

Make sure you do both Auschwitz main camp AND Birkenau, as a lot of people miss Birkenau, and that's where the majority of the killings took place - it sounds macabre, but we found it a very moving experince and something that I woudl encourage others to do - the people who were killed there hardly left any family behind, and if people don't go, it could drift out of people's consiousness as to what happened there -

The battlefield tour site link above is good - make sure you do the area around Albert where the main battle of the Somme took pleace.

Mon May 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Leger do some great battlefield tours, I've been on 4 to Arnhem, Battle of the Bulge, D Day and the inland battles, and also crossing the rhine where you get to go to Remagen. All 4 trips were excellent with real good battlefield guides who know their stuff. Must say though the hotels in Holland, Belgium and Germany were of a better standard than those in France. I have also driven over to Normandy twice myself and I am doing this for a third time this year. It's just great seeing all the sites at your own pace, it obviously helps to have some kind of knowledge of the places you are likely to visit but I personally love touring battlefields. Hope this was of some help.

Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 pm

If a car, no German brand like BMW or a MErc or a Porche

Mon May 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Hopefully your car is petrol/diesel and not gas.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Gas, Gas, Gas-a-Jack :oops: :oops:

Mon May 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Go to Krakow and take a trip to Auschwitz mate, cheap as chips.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Die Walkure wrote:I went to Auschwitz in 2009 - the best thing to do is to stay in Krakow (it's easy to get cheap flights there) and hire your own taxi driver to go to Auschwitz, which is about an hour away.

Make sure you do both Auschwitz main camp AND Birkenau, as a lot of people miss Birkenau, and that's where the majority of the killings took place - it sounds macabre, but we found it a very moving experince and something that I woudl encourage others to do - the people who were killed there hardly left any family behind, and if people don't go, it could drift out of people's consiousness as to what happened there -

The battlefield tour site link above is good - make sure you do the area around Albert where the main battle of the Somme took pleace.

What he said.

Been twice.

You can get a taxi driver to take you there and bring you back for about the uquivelent of £50, they will hang around and wait for you whilst your doing it all.

Last time I went, our taxi driver drove like a mad man. :lol:

Mon May 16, 2011 6:23 pm

My brother has done a lot of the WW2 places, and he says all of them are worth going to, but the one place that he says everyone should visit is Bergen-Belsen death camp. The stories that came out of there haunt him to this day.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:42 pm

auschwitz is a must imo, i would say go around november/december/january, cheap to get there, take the train to auschwitz will only cost you about £6 return for you both, the camps are free to visit, but if you go between march/september you have to join a tour, which will then cost you about a tenner each, they rush you around and you dont get to see everything (they dont show you the swimming pool and many other parts of the camp)..... def worth a visit also is the schinder's factory in krakow......

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I done Krakow and Auschwitz last year in school. Wouldn't recommend Auschwitz, bloody depressing place! Only problem was i went with school, couldn't do all the good things like get smashed or go to a football game, no matter how much i asked the teacher!

Mon May 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Nukes, Placid, me and the eldest boy are in, he would love it!!

Mon May 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Sounds like a tour Chief :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I'll bring the beers! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 9:26 pm

What one do you fancy Pete Normandy, The Somme, or Auswitch ?

Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 pm

If he's into Tanks & Army Vehicles, take him to Dorset for the day. Done my Expedition training there before dropping out a few years back. It's only £7 to go into the museum and he will get to walk around trenches and get to go into old Russian/German tanks, as well as the other nations involved. You also get to see the Tankies training in the Challenger 2 type tanks. :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:If he's into Tanks & Army Vehicles, take him to Dorset for the day. Done my Expedition training there before dropping out a few years back. It's only £7 to go into the museum and he will get to walk around trenches and get to go into old Russian/German tanks, as well as the other nations involved. You also get to see the Tankies training in the Challenger 2 type tanks. :ayatollah:

He is getting into the Military thing Chief he is starting next term as part of his GCSE thing Military preparation Coarse at either Cardiff or Rhymney college on a 1 day a week basis. Can give him 4 GCSEs and an insight into the military. It is run by the Army and he is really looking forward to it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Steve, I am the link Adviser for the Military Prep here in Cardiff lol. For 16 years and over though!!

Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm

CardiffCityCulture wrote:Steve, I am the link Adviser for the Military Prep here in Cardiff lol. For 16 years and over though!!

Really ............Which is the best pete Cardiff or Rymney. What exactly is the link advisor what exactly do you do ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Lol. I am a Careers Adviser for Careers Wales so when 16 and 17 year old's are referred to the MPC on week 13 I go and see how they are getting on and extend them on the course. They are both good centres mate, do loads of away days with The Royal Welsh etc. Spend a week in Breacon!! The kids love it mate!

Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm

CardiffCityCulture wrote:Lol. I am a Careers Adviser for Careers Wales so when 16 and 17 year old's are referred to the MPC on week 13 I go and see how they are getting on and extend them on the course. They are both good centres mate, do loads of away days with The Royal Welsh etc. Spend a week in Breacon!! The kids love it mate!

He is really looking forward to it he can't wait. What war tour do you fancy Chief ?