Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"How do you know we didn't want to finish fourth"

Sun May 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I have just listened to the Dave Jones interview on the BBC website and right had the end it is pointed out to him that Swansea have finished above us and he comes out with the gem I've quoted above.

"How do you know we didn't want to finish fourth?"

Now I appreciate that this was probably a flippant remark made by a man under extreme pressure being asked a question he didn't want to answer but what a disgraceful thing to say nonetheless.

Wanted to finish fourth did you Dave? I can think of many thousands of people "in this part of the world" who would be exceedingly unhappy to think that your objective this season has been to finish fourth. It's a "foot in mouth" moment to rival "have a shit journey home*.

Perhaps it helps explain the last two pathetic performances by the team. Perhaps the basis of your team talks in the last two games have amounted to " Don't worry about these games boys, we're guaranteed that fourth place we've been chasing all season".

Even taking it as a flippant remark it is a spectacularly stupid thing to say. It tells Reading that we'd prefer to be facing them in the play-offs rather than Forest, giving Reading a bigger incentive (if they needed it) to stick it up us, and informing Forest that he'd prefer not to face them in the play-off's, giving them an advantage that Billy Davies has rarely needed when pitting his wits against teams managed by Dave Jones.

A particularly stupid and unhelpful thing to say at a vital time of the season.

Coupled with the indiscipline shown by his players recently we are certainly not going into the playoffs on a confident note.

Let's hope they can ALL get their act together quickly and start pulling in the same direction.

Re: "How do you know we didn't want to finish fourth"

Sun May 08, 2011 8:24 pm

I bet he did want to finish 4th. I did (As from yesterday) Forrest bang on form Reading is the best bet out of the other 3 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:I bet he did want to finish 4th. I did (As from yesterday) Forrest bang on form Reading is the best bet out of the other 3 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

but if we beat reading we still got to overcome forrest in the final, it wont be any easier in a one game situation than it would have been over two legs, so it doesnt really matter who we got in the play offs

Mon May 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:I bet he did want to finish 4th. I did (As from yesterday) Forrest bang on form Reading is the best bet out of the other 3 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The malaysians wanted to finish third as they would have immediately launched a legal challenge to the fa's ruling.
jones lets down his bosses as well as the fans

Mon May 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Im happy we have finished 4th. Our record against Forest is shocking and they are a hard team to beat with a lot of pace. McGugan, Earnshaw, Tyson, McGoldrick and Blackstock. Now I know Reading have pace but its mainly in the form of Kebe who is unlikely to be 100% fit, Long and McAnuff. Forest on their recent form would have destroyed us. At least we have a chance against Reading and if we can get a draw or a marginal victory against them away I think that'll give the players enough confidence to finish the job at home.

I can see Readings main threat being set plays from Ian Harte crosses into the box. Long and Church are both good at finishing in the air.

There will be no legal challenge worth pursuing because the charges against QPR are minimal. They are not for the more serious offences and are not worthy of a points deduction. QPR are even reported to be appealing the fine they were given for the lesser charges. It was just a balls up by the FA who probably spent more putting together the case than what they'll get back out of it. No wonder they are under investigation from the government.