Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The "Blue Birds Club",,,,

Sun May 08, 2011 4:50 pm

You older City fans will remember this place :old: just behind the old Canton stand at Ninian Park. I remember getting in as a sixteen year old, but why did it close? I bet a club next to the CCS now would do a bomb, on match days anyway. ;)

Re: The "Blue Birds Club",,,,

Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 pm

yeah i remember that bar/hall.

My dad used to take me there before a game, used to be a programme shop next to it to

Sun May 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Yeah i remember it just. I Dont know why it closed :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm

I used to love going to the bluebirds club, often used to go there during the week too in the seventies. I remember being in there on a saturday when we played Millwall in about 75/76 and these two Millwall geezers walked in bold as brass and stood at the bar. I advised them that it would be in their interests to keep a low profile as the place was full of city nutters but one of them said they feared no one. The next minute a lad from north cornelly walks up to this big hairy Millwall bloke and hits him over the head with a leg of a table. I thought he'd killed him, his head was split in two, blood pumping out of him, but he just stood there unmoved. The city fan dropped the table leg and legged it sharpish, the Millwall fella calmly walked to the exit and when the fresh air hit him he collapsed . Later we came across him getting stuck in during a big fight between us and Millwall outside the station with his head wrapped in bloodied bandages, what a loon :lol:

Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm

frazier wrote:I used to love going to the bluebirds club, often used to go there during the week too in the seventies. I remember being in there on a saturday when we played Millwall in about 75/76 and these two Millwall geezers walked in bold as brass and stood at the bar. I advised them that it would be in their interests to keep a low profile as the place was full of city nutters but one of them said they feared no one. The next minute a lad from north cornelly walks up to this big hairy Millwall bloke and hits him over the head with a leg of a table. I thought he'd killed him, his head was split in two, blood pumping out of him, but he just stood there unmoved. The city fan dropped the table leg and legged it sharpish, the Millwall fella calmly walked to the exit and when the fresh air hit him he collapsed . Later we came across him getting stuck in during a big fight between us and Millwall outside the station with his head wrapped in bloodied bandages, what a loon :lol:

Great story, can you remember a "live" band called the "Grangenders" who used to play on a Saturday night?

Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
frazier wrote:I used to love going to the bluebirds club, often used to go there during the week too in the seventies. I remember being in there on a saturday when we played Millwall in about 75/76 and these two Millwall geezers walked in bold as brass and stood at the bar. I advised them that it would be in their interests to keep a low profile as the place was full of city nutters but one of them said they feared no one. The next minute a lad from north cornelly walks up to this big hairy Millwall bloke and hits him over the head with a leg of a table. I thought he'd killed him, his head was split in two, blood pumping out of him, but he just stood there unmoved. The city fan dropped the table leg and legged it sharpish, the Millwall fella calmly walked to the exit and when the fresh air hit him he collapsed . Later we came across him getting stuck in during a big fight between us and Millwall outside the station with his head wrapped in bloodied bandages, what a loon :lol:

Great story, can you remember a "live" band called the "Grangenders" who used to play on a Saturday night?

No Rick, I can't say I do, I don't think I've ever been in there on a saturday night though, before games on matchday and on the odd week night we would be in there, great place it was.

Sun May 08, 2011 8:45 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:You older City fans will remember this place :old: just behind the old Canton stand at Ninian Park. I remember getting in as a sixteen year old, but why did it close? I bet a club next to the CCS now would do a bomb, on match days anyway. ;)

Yes i used to use the place most home games, you could get food in there as well!!!!!

Mon May 09, 2011 12:22 am

cityone wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:You older City fans will remember this place :old: just behind the old Canton stand at Ninian Park. I remember getting in as a sixteen year old, but why did it close? I bet a club next to the CCS now would do a bomb, on match days anyway. ;)

Yes i used to use the place most home games, you could get food in there as well!!!!!

Food in their... 'and bombs', of what exactly. :lol:
last time i had a bomb before a cardiff game we ended up down barry island :? was about 15

Mon May 09, 2011 7:51 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:

were they on before or after the bingo ?? :lol:

Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 am

the reason it closed was city were skint at the time and did not keep it very well and Roof started leaking etc. :(
Uneconomical to keep going. sounds like our defense. :(

Mon May 09, 2011 8:52 am

I remember the place being built!!!

Mon May 09, 2011 9:17 am

I remember the place being built!!!

Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 pm

i remember going in there befor the games saw pegleg from margate kick the fire exit open to let someone in i think the barman came over and said to pegleg did you do that he no gov the guys still outside i laughed my bollacks off :lol: :lol: :lol: i was so impressionable at 16

Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm

i remember going in there when sundeland where down here in the eighties ,i think i was the only one in there with a city scarf on i didnt stay long to find out there was hundreds of them in there, great club mind used to love a few beers in theregreat memories :old: