Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whittingham

Sun May 08, 2011 1:56 pm

How long will it take for him to be dropped? Constantly giving the ball away yesterday, pussies out of tackles and more often than not just hoofs it up the pitch. Adam Matthews makes one mistake and he's off to Celtic. Whittingham makes much more and is still in the team! Another reason why Jonesy should be gone, showing such favouritism to him.

Re: Whittingham

Sun May 08, 2011 4:18 pm

dj s exscuses over the years we have nothing on the bench to change anything ,what does he do now he got choices ,fu.k all ,sticks with out of form favorites . :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 08, 2011 7:51 pm

I see people constantly say how many goals Whittingham has been involved in, which is a fair point....but overall, his contribution does not match those figures.

Him being involved in those goals is only useful if he doesn't have lapses or lose the ball/opposition players which leads to pressure on our defence (ala QPR's second goal).

Sun May 08, 2011 8:15 pm

World's slowest ever wide player!

Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Richie wrote:How long will it take for him to be dropped? Constantly giving the ball away yesterday, pussies out of tackles and more often than not just hoofs it up the pitch. Adam Matthews makes one mistake and he's off to Celtic. Whittingham makes much more and is still in the team! Another reason why Jonesy should be gone, showing such favouritism to him.

I for one have wanted to know the same for a long time now. Never Never do I see the guy make a run with the ball, even when he has loads of space infront of him. As soon as he gets the ball he looks to past it off or will pump it up field only to fined the other side picks it up cos his pass was shit , then they run it back at us. Alos you watch him ,he will never go into a tackle with any kind of meaning. All he will do is put his leg out, or on most times do nothing but just stan infront of the guy.
I watch him the other day stand there while another player jumped to head the ball, and he didnt even try to jump with him.
Whits is ok to take free kicks and corners, or to pump long balls up front which the other side runs back at us , apart from that he does fk all. While the likes of Beller run him self into the ground. He needs to be put on the bench.

Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Didn't know you needed pace to play wide, wish someone told Mr Beckham :roll:

Mon May 09, 2011 12:36 am

2blue2handle wrote:Didn't know you needed pace to play wide, wish someone told Mr Beckham :roll:

mr beckham was one of the best crossers of the ball.. whittingham is to slow he needs to be on the bench.

Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 am

Whitt's is what's known as a luxury player. Capable of creating or scoring a vital goal. The down side is that his team mates have to carry his workload, which does'nt often happen.

Mon May 09, 2011 10:16 am

On his day he can spray a pass around granted. But that's honestly about 10 times in a season of 46 games, just not good enough. Need someone as creative as Ramsey who didn't hoof the ball up there and passed it around til an opening came about.

Mon May 09, 2011 11:19 am

I was going mad with him on Saturday.

When Burnley were in possession he refused to go within 10 yards of their players. He does that pathetic bobbing up and down on his toes thing and he simply will not close them down, in fact backs away constantly.

I was shouting this out during the match and loads of people around me started to cotton on to what he's like.

For a such a talent, he has no self belief whatsoever. He needs a sports psychologist to sit him down and teach him some arrogance and aggression. Until then games will continue to pass him by.

What with him and Koumas, we were carrying 2 players on Saturday. We can't go into the Reading game like that or we'll be fcuked inside 20 minutes again!

I'm not hopeful but I'll be there and scream myself hoarse again!

UP THE CITY!

Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 am

he is shit simple

Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 am

Assists and goals combined, probably our most useful player the past 2 seasons.

I know he doesnt give the impression he gives 100%. Quite a lot of players these days dont give that impression. And it doesnt impress many fans. But I would like to see how high up he is on covering ground on a pitch, I bet he's up there.

BUT I can tell you now, we need Whitts in the team. Out of our midfield, he carries the goal threat and has developed a good understanding with Bellers.

Someone above mentioned we need someone like Rambo. Dont make me laugh, theres a reason why hes playing for Arsenal, you just cant sign players like that at this level!

I would honestly say any team in this league would want Whitts. He's creative, not a dog. You need a right balance.

Whitts playing with someone like Derry would work well. Its not Whitts fault he is joined by 3 other lightweights in the midfield.

Get off the guys back, as he is one of 3 players in our lineup who could win us these games to take us to the Prem,

Mon May 09, 2011 11:52 am

whittingham is a quality player on his day but isn't the most consistent player in the squad. he does offer a lot and i think it's fair to say that he is getting stuck in a lot more compared to the start of the season and last season. he's improved in that aspect but he could either be a key player in the play offs or he could be a waste. it's hard to say but i think dropping him isn't the right move.

Mon May 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Agree with the general sentiment here. He is a luxury player. He doesn't fight enough and battle for the team.

He's leathel from the dead ball. If it wasn't for that, I doubt he'd be in the team.

I really wish he'd travel with the ball rather than just release it as soon as he receives it. I've never seen him carry the ball more than 5 or 6 yards.

He does have skill and talent. But without the graft as well, can we afford to select him when he's not playing well? :|

Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 pm

whittingham has 36 goals and 20 assists over the last 2 seasons from a midfield position

if we didn't have him in the midfield i reckon we would create 50% less, with bellamy up front our game is based on getting him in behind defenders and only whitts (and mcphail occasionally) can do that on a regular basis

dropping him would be absolutely crazy, just because he doesn't steam into tackles doesn't make him a luxury player in any sense of the word, he still holds his position well and it's not like he just lets people skin him time after time

burke is the man who should be out the starting 11, very weak and loses possession nearly every time he gets the ball

Mon May 09, 2011 12:46 pm

bluebirdtom wrote:whittingham has 36 goals and 20 assists over the last 2 seasons from a midfield position

if we didn't have him in the midfield i reckon we would create 50% less, with bellamy up front our game is based on getting him in behind defenders and only whitts (and mcphail occasionally) can do that on a regular basis

dropping him would be absolutely crazy, just because he doesn't steam into tackles doesn't make him a luxury player in any sense of the word, he still holds his position well and it's not like he just lets people skin him time after time

burke is the man who should be out the starting 11, very weak and loses possession nearly every time he gets the ball

I agree with this. :old:

Mon May 09, 2011 12:47 pm

bluebirdtom wrote:whittingham has 36 goals and 20 assists over the last 2 seasons from a midfield position

Those stats don't lie Sheriff but hell he is one frustrating player that's for sure. He would be one hell of a player if his weakness were sorted out :? :?

Mon May 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I wonder how many of those goals and assists come from deadball situations though.

Don't get me wrong, he has skill. But I don't believe he always fights for the team as he should. As a fan, that's probably the most frustrating thing. Because all of us could go out there and give it our all, regardless of our skill.

I think you give him too much credit defensively. But I think you're right on his offensive ability.

Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Give him a break!!!! This guy has played everywhere he has been asked and everything good that has happened over the last 3 Years has come through him, free kicks, corners, defense splitting balls etc. Some of the best players in the world dont go flying into tackles or aren't lightening quick either so we should all start to back the likes of Whittingham coz moaning from the crowd does nothing for confidence!!!!!!!!

Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Port Talbot Bluebird 1983 wrote:Give him a break!!!! This guy has played everywhere he has been asked and everything good that has happened over the last 3 Years has come through him, free kicks, corners, defense splitting balls etc. Some of the best players in the world dont go flying into tackles or aren't lightening quick either so we should all start to back the likes of Whittingham coz moaning from the crowd does nothing for confidence!!!!!!!!

I agree that right now in-fighting is detrimental (perhaps you should check out the tone of my recent posts).

But once the season's out, as a fan who pays a fair slice of the money I (like loads of other CFCC fans) have a right to be critical of the players for their performance on the pitch. I'm just saying I want to see more out of Whittingham. He's got bags of talent and I don't think we always get the best of him. There are other players who don't have the ability Wittingham has (including Prem. players) but they make up for it with spirit and fight. Don't get me wrong, there are other players in the City side - as we all know - who similar criticisms could be aimed at. The only reason I'm talking about Whittingham is because someone started this thread about him.

But yes, generally speaking, let's get 100% behind the games for these next 2/3 (hopefully the latter) games. And there's a good chance they'll repay us.

Mon May 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Port Talbot Bluebird 1983 wrote:Give him a break!!!! This guy has played everywhere he has been asked and everything good that has happened over the last 3 Years has come through him, free kicks, corners, defense splitting balls etc. Some of the best players in the world dont go flying into tackles or aren't lightening quick either so we should all start to back the likes of Whittingham coz moaning from the crowd does nothing for confidence!!!!!!!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: spot on!

Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

Those stats don't lie Sheriff but hell he is one frustrating player that's for sure. He would be one hell of a player if his weakness were sorted out :? :?

Whats with the (Sheriff) Chief?? had to look twice at your user name then ;) why drop your unique saying??

Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm

We could moan about players all day and what they have done wrong all season
but we cannot change the past.
I think it's time to get behind the team not have a blast at the players ! :old:
IMO yes whitt's does have his good and bad games.
but so do other players but all in all what we paid and what he's doe since he signed
i think he was a steal at the the price. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 pm

slappy wrote:We could moan about players all day and what they have done wrong all season
but we cannot change the past.
I think it's time to get behind the team not have a blast at the players ! :old:
IMO yes whitt's does have his good and bad games.
but so do other players but all in all what we paid and what he's doe since he signed
i think he was a steal at the the price. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Bang on butty! :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: