Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" DAVE JONES FEELS LET DOWN BY HIS PLAYERS "

Fri May 06, 2011 1:47 pm

" DAVE JONES FEELS LET DOWN BY HIS PLAYERS "

MY OPINION

What manager lets his whole squad to do what they want from Thursday 12pm till Monday 2pm, just before the most important match so far this season, especially after their have been at least 5 major episodes reported already this season of City players on the lash/drunk/fighting and Gambling.

In my opinion your the Boss, the Buck stops with you.

Media Wales

Cardiff City boss Dave Jones

CARDIFF CITY boss Dave Jones has opened up on the late night booze allegations surrounding some of his players, admitting he felt let down by the incident that has tarnished his squad this week.

Reports alleged a small group of players defied the managers' instructions by partying into the early hours of Saturday morning following a fans awards function - just two days before the crunch home match against Middlesbrough.

The Bluebirds suffered a humiliating 3-0 defeat against Boro on Bank Holiday Monday as they collapsed in front of a sell-out crowd and saw their automatic promotion hopes go up in smoke.

And today, Jones vowed to find out the truth of exactly what happened, while admitting he and the rest of the squad felt let down.

“We felt let down. We were disappointed.

"You have to remember that everybody has been tarred with the same brush and they shouldn’t be. You are talking about a very small minority of a big playing squad.

"There are 22 players and it was a very small minority. Everybody felt disappointed. Not just me, not just my staff, but the players and everyone else.

"We will look into it. we have other issues to concern ourselves with at the moment, which is playing, and then we will will look into it.

"We will find out the truth, rather than all the stories that are flying around. Then we will deal with it in the manner that everybody – fans, me, hierarchy, players – will expect it to be treated."

And he admitted: "I would imagine the fans’ feelings are exactly the same as mine.”

Re: " DAVE JONES FEELS LET DOWN BY HIS PLAYERS "

Fri May 06, 2011 1:49 pm

So DJ has a ready made get out of jail card should things go tits up.

How convenient ;)

Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Whilst I agree to a certain extent that the players are responsible for themselves, Jones should have never let them out until 10:30pm as its claimed in the first place. Any manager with a bit of common sense would have told the players to have an early night before a big game and then they could go out to whatever time they wanted once they got the job done. Instead he was soft with them to certain extent and they took advantage of that by thinking they wouldn't get caught out. Both are in the wrong in my opinion. A bit more professionalism from both Jones and the players in question is needed.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Craig Bellamy has said in his interview today that our preperation in the days leading up to the Middlesbrough game was as bad as it gets.

The hype and hysteria around the place has resulted in a few people thinking we only had to turn up to.

Strong Stuff by Craig Annis but he is not wrong. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I hope if we are lucky enough to win through to the playoff final there is no lap of honour around the CCS no celebrating until as Craig says we haven't won anything yet. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Annis, i respect your opinion, but everything bad that happens at ccfc you flip it around and blame DJ, if he gets bad results and tactics are off then yes its him, but he trusted those players and its their fault this time. If DJ doesnt come down hard on them ill be very annoyed....he fucked rossco and gerrard off so lets hope he does the same to these. As for what manager lets their players have time off, people were saying that during the last international break when he let them have a week off, we came back firing! a break from the tension is often whats needed.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Lets look at two styles of leadership:
"Do what I tell you"
"We're in this together, lets achieve something great"
Which one would you want to be part of and likely to achieve the most under?

Managing professsional sportsman on very high wages is not done successfully through autocratic leadership. The greatest teams are always built on empathy, encouragement and inspiration. If you're going to knock DJ there is an argument for his lack of social skills (well documented) but he is certainly NOT responsible for managing the team in their own time. Your employer has no right to determine your whereabouts outside working hours. However if you turn up for work tired or drunk be prepared to have the book thrown at you.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:29 pm

The players involved defied his instructions . Dave Jones or any manager cannot be watching their players 24 hours a day. I still believe this has been exaggerated and if we had beaten Boro nobody would have cared less about this alleged boozing. Whatever the truth maybe and the extent of the boozing it is the players involved who should be getting 100% of the blame and the abuse for this and not Dave Jones. And by the way none of the players should escape blame for the Boro defeat . The whole team were shit so what is the excuse for those players who were not out boozing. They were all a complete disgrace against Boro and 100% of the blame lies with the players.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:The players involved defied his instructions . Dave Jones or any manager cannot be watching their players 24 hours a day. I still believe this has been exaggerated and if we had beaten Boro nobody would have cared less about this alleged boozing. Whatever the truth maybe and the extent of the boozing it is the players involved who should be getting 100% of the blame and the abuse for this and not Dave Jones. And by the way none of the players should escape blame for the Boro defeat . The whole team were shit so what is the excuse for those players who were not out boozing. They were all a complete disgrace against Boro and 100% of the blame lies with the players.

at the same time if he had them players in for light training on saturday and sunday mornin would they have risked the 4am drinking sessions.
he sanctioned the time off so that he could hit the golf course and flys in the face of all his eat and sleep football together bullshit he was spouting less than a fortnight ago.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:42 pm

so he should feel let down, after a busty easter schedule he gave them a few days to recharge, he trusted them,they lrt him down, not all of them of course, but a few
as for DJ playing golf, i dont think so, had his knee op didnt he..
i know he is the manager so the buck stops, but i feel in this situation its the players that went out who should be in the firing line, but hey, what do they care about our beloved football club
oh for a team of Bellamies and Super kev's

Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 pm

alexc wrote:Lets look at two styles of leadership:
"Do what I tell you"
"We're in this together, lets achieve something great"
Which one would you want to be part of and likely to achieve the most under?

Managing professsional sportsman on very high wages is not done successfully through autocratic leadership. The greatest teams are always built on empathy, encouragement and inspiration. If you're going to knock DJ there is an argument for his lack of social skills (well documented) but he is certainly NOT responsible for managing the team in their own time. Your employer has no right to determine your whereabouts outside working hours. However if you turn up for work tired or drunk be prepared to have the book thrown at you.

Okay, you've made some valuable points but I still don't think Dave Jones is respected by the team. He lacks authority over them. Whereas the likes of Ferguson, Dalglish, Warnock, Lambert will be strict and enforce a winning and professional mentality into the team, I don't think Jones does that in my opinion. Even the games we've won this year, a lot of the time have been down to individual quality rather than a great team effort, as others like Norwich have shown. Now whilst I agree that the second comment 'we're in this together, lets achieve something great' is most likely the one you want to play under, there is a time and a place. The players should be told to act professional and get the job done on the pitch in a professional manner as they're representing a football club and then when they have done that job they can party.

Its all about being a model professional and I don't think Jones has driven that mentality into his team. Other managers have and thats why they keep going until the death of games and try to win for the club, for their manager and for the fans. Its one of the reasons Norwich have scored so many late goals. There's also a video where Taarabt smashes a ceiling in after the Watford game celebrating and Warnock has a go at him and tells him to show some respect. Taarabt looks down and laughs but he didn't do it in Warnocks face because he knew he'd get put in his place big time. Its little things like that. I honestly dont think our players respect Jones and instead they just take advantage of him.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:56 pm

langley, great post
I was drawn to your final comment on Bellamy and Super Kev.
We know why Craig is so massively self motivated, he'll happily tell you :)
But super Kev is the example that all players should strive for. This guy loves the game.
He found a job that he loves and it shows. He has no Cardiff roots, no boyhood Cardiff dream but he has respect for the game, the fans and most importantly himself.
Neither Kev or Craig need a manager to remind them what theyre playing for.

If you need a manager to motivate you to have some self respect then quite frankly you're a hopeless case and we don't need you at CCFC.

Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 pm

To be fair I don't completely blame DJ on this, the players need to take a hard look at themselves too, but, the arrogance of the clubs MANAGER in his interview on Cardiff City Player really pissed me off more than usual. When asked can you understand the fans feeling let down, he replied "I feel let down". FFS stop worrying how you feel and look at it from the fans perspective. As has been mentioned in previous posts this kind of drinking culture has existed for a long time, if this culture pissed DJ off so much, he should have done something about it 2 years ago. :evil:

Fri May 06, 2011 3:00 pm

While I do agree in a sense Annis, you know Neil Warnock's players would never dream of acting like our players have, we can't take the blame from their doorstep. There needs to be a degree of personal responsibility from the players as well. Both sides have contributed to this mess.

Fri May 06, 2011 3:00 pm

the players are grown men who were trusted by the manager to stick by curfews and basic instructions for a weekend before a MASSIVE game,its that simple,failing that,the players should of known the consequences of lashing it up days before a game,its not something they do through the season so why now? I was at the player of the year do and when the players were sat down eating and through the presentation itself and it looke like they were all drinking soft drinks(obviously with mixers so it seems) but alot of the players were dropped off in cars so had every intention of having a few,some were drinking tea and coffee through the night,DJ trusted these adults and they threw that trust back in his face,i cant see how thats his fault,the players knew damn well what they were doing and have to take the blame

Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm

cityblue wrote:the players are grown men who were trusted by the manager to stick by curfews and basic instructions for a weekend before a MASSIVE game,its that simple,failing that,the players should of known the consequences of lashing it up days before a game,its not something they do through the season so why now? I was at the player of the year do and when the players were sat down eating and through the presentation itself and it looke like they were all drinking soft drinks(obviously with mixers so it seems) but alot of the players were dropped off in cars so had every intention of having a few,some were drinking tea and coffee through the night,DJ trusted these adults and they threw that trust back in his face,i cant see how thats his fault,the players knew damn well what they were doing and have to take the blame

He should have never let them out in the first place before such a crucial game. Did they really need to be out that night? No. Had they stayed in, had an early night like true professionals, they could have won against Boro and piled the pressure on Norwich who only managed a 1-0 win anyway. With more pressure, it could have been a different story. Had we gone up automatically they could have gone on the lash for the next couple of weeks but instead Jones let them out and they took advantage of the situation. The players are mostly to blame but Jones is partly in my opinion for even letting them be in that situation.

Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Let down - wakey wakey Davey Boy, least you get paid to watch them

We as fans all give up time with our families and spend our hard earned cash year in year out to see some perfomances of that against Boro !!!

Anyway, onwards and upwards :ayatollah:

Fri May 06, 2011 3:15 pm

He should have never let them out in the first place before such a crucial game.

James, I guess I didn't know they all live in a dormitory together with DJ as the doorkeeper?

Fri May 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Annis i respect you and aree with you on moat but it feels that you use any excuse to jump on djs back it may not be deliberate but you do you were back off holidy 1 dy and it started lmao and wht do you want him to do follow them around if a proffesional footballer and more importantly a MAN doesont kbow that he shouldbt go out and get pissed the day before a huge game then hes notuch of a man and would have done it even if dj begged them thats the problem with people nowaday too worried about going out getting pissed then preparing to make thoussnds of pwoples dreams come true these players ruined our chance last weekend not dj

Fri May 06, 2011 3:32 pm

alexc wrote:
He should have never let them out in the first place before such a crucial game.

James, I guess I didn't know they all live in a dormitory together with DJ as the doorkeeper?

Whilst I understand your point, they are contracted to a professional football club. Jones should have told them to have an early night beforehand and put in 100%. Had he done that then yes, I would accept the blame solely lies with the players. However, according to the media, he said they could go out until 10:30pm in the first place. Any normal human would know that people are easily persuaded to stay out once they are out, especially footballers when they're out with the rest of their mates and so on.

Did he honestly expect them to turn around at 10:30pm and go 'right lads, we best all get off home now because we have a game tomorrow.' If he did expect that from a group of footballers then he is extremely daft in my honest opinion.

Fri May 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" DAVE JONES FEELS LET DOWN BY HIS PLAYERS "

MY OPINION

What manager lets his whole squad to do what they want from Thursday 12pm till Monday 2pm, just before the most important match so far this season, especially after their have been at least 5 major episodes reported already this season of City players on the lash/drunk/fighting and Gambling.

In my opinion your the Boss, the Buck stops with you.

Media Wales

Cardiff City boss Dave Jones

CARDIFF CITY boss Dave Jones has opened up on the late night booze allegations surrounding some of his players, admitting he felt let down by the incident that has tarnished his squad this week.

Reports alleged a small group of players defied the managers' instructions by partying into the early hours of Saturday morning following a fans awards function - just two days before the crunch home match against Middlesbrough.

The Bluebirds suffered a humiliating 3-0 defeat against Boro on Bank Holiday Monday as they collapsed in front of a sell-out crowd and saw their automatic promotion hopes go up in smoke.

And today, Jones vowed to find out the truth of exactly what happened, while admitting he and the rest of the squad felt let down.

“We felt let down. We were disappointed.

"You have to remember that everybody has been tarred with the same brush and they shouldn’t be. You are talking about a very small minority of a big playing squad.

"There are 22 players and it was a very small minority. Everybody felt disappointed. Not just me, not just my staff, but the players and everyone else.

"We will look into it. we have other issues to concern ourselves with at the moment, which is playing, and then we will will look into it.

"We will find out the truth, rather than all the stories that are flying around. Then we will deal with it in the manner that everybody – fans, me, hierarchy, players – will expect it to be treated."

And he admitted: "I would imagine the fans’ feelings are exactly the same as mine.”

Sorry DJ give them the ok to go to the player awards on the understanding they would go home after that. If you trust your players to do that the players should respect him and do it. Remember we all promise our mother and father when we were young ,oyes mam I will be in at 10pm . But we didnt all do it did we ? I know is easy to jump on DJ at ever event , but you also have to give him the ,Yes dave you were right tell tell them to go home after the awards, if they go off after that is it really his fault ? I mean should he have taken them all home and tucked them up in bed and given them a big night kiss ?
We are talking about pro players , they should have known better and done what they were told to do.

Fri May 06, 2011 3:54 pm

According to the papers he said they could stay out until 10.30pm. Personally I would have no problem with that and any player who went against that deserves all the abuse and not Dave Jones. But when did you ever believe what you read in the papers. Has anyone heard Dave Jones say that he agreed they could stay out until 10.30pm. Guess work by the papers in my opinion. On the subject of Super Kev, although I am a big fan of his he was anything but Super against QPR and against Boro.

Fri May 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Sorry Annis Mr Jones has had hisa chips. Too many chances already!

To let the squad have Thursday to Sunday off before a huge game defies belief.

Why not have the whole squad together at The Vale in a training camp? You certainly don't
rest when such a game is on the horizon and as you say knowing past histories.

I wonder what Mr Tan thought of it all?

W :o

Fri May 06, 2011 5:04 pm

i can't believe you've flipped this around onto DJ again... give it a rest will you....the players are employed by the club not owned...its entirely down to them how they act outside of thier football lives, and i for one, blame the players responsible 100%...they ain't kids anymore

Fri May 06, 2011 5:10 pm

valleycasual wrote:i can't believe you've flipped this around onto DJ again... give it a rest will you....the players are employed by the club not owned...its entirely down to them how they act outside of thier football lives, and i for one, blame the players responsible 100%...they ain't kids anymore

I havent Blamed him for the Golden Ticket Scam, even though he Did back it :D

Fri May 06, 2011 5:12 pm

they trained saturday morning 10am untill 1145 am i was there the whole squad was there except for naylor not sure about sunday as i was not there

Fri May 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
valleycasual wrote:i can't believe you've flipped this around onto DJ again... give it a rest will you....the players are employed by the club not owned...its entirely down to them how they act outside of thier football lives, and i for one, blame the players responsible 100%...they ain't kids anymore

Could you answer then what he was backing exactly?
1) the raising of money to buy players in the January window?
or
2) the alleged fraudulent swindling of CCFC fans?

Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

he backed it because he thought he was going to get money to buy players in January

Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 pm

I can't agree with you - Jones needs to be able to trust his players, and they've let him down. It's as simple as. He CANNOT watch them 24/7.

Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

surely the players have common sense not to go out days before a game? nothing to do with DJ he expects them to be professional and stay in

Fri May 06, 2011 6:55 pm

wigstar wrote:Sorry Annis Mr Jones has had hisa chips. Too many chances already!

To let the squad have Thursday to Sunday off before a huge game defies belief.

Why not have the whole squad together at The Vale in a training camp? You certainly don't
rest when such a game is on the horizon and as you say knowing past histories.

I wonder what Mr Tan thought of it all?

W :o

Wiggy, Last time Cardiff squad were given a good rest we came back all guns blazing! Im sure DJ was hoping for a similar result after being rested again.

The buck stops with the RESPECT of this MINORITY of these binging players! They are on THOUSANDS of pounds a week, and should respect their team mates, Manager and club for a few weeks until the Job is done?

No one is asking them to stop drinking altogether, and no one is able to keep an eye on them 24/7 - So they must take some pride in their work, If you or I turned up to work with hangovers, im sure the establishment would take some kind of disciplinary action!

On that note, I wish Dave Jones and the squad in Burnley all the best for tomorrows game, we STILL WANT the 3pts guys!

Good Luck.