Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Championship Play Off Stats since 98

Thu May 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Not sure why but I always thought that the team that finishes 6th always did best in the playoffs but not so since 98 in the championship.

Surprised to see the majority of winners finish 3rd. Statistically finishing 4th is no good...must win on the weekend. Come to think of it we finished 4th last year didn't we :lol:

5 wins from 3rd
1 win from 4th
4 wins from 5th
3 wins from 6th

These teams won from finishing 3rd:
2000 Ipswich Town
2001 Bolton Wanderers
2006 Watford
2007 Derby County
2008 Hull City

These teams won from finishing 4th:
1998 Charlton Athletic

These teams won from finishing 5th:
1999 Watford
2002 Birmingham City
2003 Wolverhampton Wanderers
2009 Burnley

These teams won from finishing 6th:
2004 Crystal Palace
2005 West Ham United
2010 Blackpool

Re: Championship Play Off Stats since 98

Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm

interesting post mate!! whatever happens we need to support the boys, but we certainly need to get back to winning ways saturday!! :ayatollah:

Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

lets hope that swansea finish 4th then :ayatollah:

Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 pm

brewer918 wrote:interesting post mate!! whatever happens we need to support the boys, but we certainly need to get back to winning ways saturday!! :ayatollah:

I agree, we must turn up to every game ion our thousands and try and make our players believe they can do it when it matters :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 05, 2011 9:38 pm

We played one lost one and our boys continually fail to deliver in the big games :old:

Sorry :old: none of my folding money on us triumphing.

Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm

ccfc_cotta wrote:lets hope that swansea finish 4th then :ayatollah:

:ayatollah:

Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 am

brewer918 wrote:interesting post mate!! whatever happens we need to support the boys, but we certainly need to get back to winning ways saturday!! :ayatollah:

Spot on brewer, we must bounce back to winning ways tomorrow. If Monday was a freak result for us then look at QPR, they had a freak result when the lost 4-1 to Scunthorpe. The following game they won 1 – 0 away at Barnsley and so proved it to be a freak result, we need to do the same tomorrow. 1-0 to City will do me just fine.

I have woken up this morning a bit more confident about the playoffs and these statistics have helped a bit. I was really surprised the majority of winners have finished 3rd. I still say though if we do win the playoffs, it will be down to the players alone as Dave Jones is incapable of inspiring the team

Fri May 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Einstein wrote:We played one lost one and our boys continually fail to deliver in the big games :old:

Sorry :old: none of my folding money on us triumphing.

Einstien, could you please explain "The Theory of Relativity" again :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: