Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" PETER RIDSDALE " CROWN COURT ? GOLDEN TICKET SCAM

Thu May 05, 2011 11:36 am

Peter has been in magistrates court this morning and that was the reason for him being in Cardiff.
Which could lead to a Crown Court Trial.

Reason for his appearance could it be a 'GOLDEN' reason but I am sure we will find out soon enough.
I would advise anyone posting below to be careful for legal reasons

Peter Ridsdale in court
FORMER Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale has appeared in court charged over last season’s Golden Ticket scheme.

Mr Ridsdale faces two charges under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and one under the Fraud Act 2006.

The criminal charges have been brought against Mr Ridsdale, who stood down as Cardiff City chairman in May 2010, by Cardiff council’s Trading Standards department.

Mr Ridsdale appeared at Cardiff Magistrates’ Court to confirm his full name – Robert Peter Ridsdale – and address.

It was indicated he would plead not guilty.

Following his 10am court appearance yesterday morning, Mr Ridsdale said: “I can confirm that I was present and that I will be vigorously rebutting the charges.”

The Golden Ticket scheme was announced in December 2009, offering Bluebirds fans who buy season tickets early a full refund in the event of promotion to the Premier League.

The club also promised to spend the proceeds on players in the January 2010 transfer window.

On January 27, 2010, a statement was published on Cardiff City’s website saying no new players would be bought.

The three charges are:

Being knowingly or recklessly engaged in a commercial practice which contravenes the requirements of professional diligence under Regulation 33a of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Materially distorted or was likely to materially distort the economic behaviour of the average consumer with regard to a product, namely season tickets, contrary to Regulation 8 and 13 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008;

Being a trade engaged in a commercial practice which by omission was misleading under Regulation 6 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 in that its factual context omitted material information, namely that they were subject to an embargo imposed by the Football Association on the registration of new players at the said Football Club and as a result caused or was likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise, contrary to Regulation 10 and 13 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008;

Committed fraud in that you dishonestly made a false representation, namely the sale of season tickets intending to make a gain, namely using revenue to purchase new players, contrary to Sections 1 and 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

The case was adjourned until July 22 for a committal hearing. Cardiff council’s legal team has indicated it wants the case to be heard at a crown court.

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 states that a person found guilty of an offence under regulation 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 can face a fine and/or prison for a maximum of two years.

A person who is guilty of fraud by jury on indictment in a crown court can be imprisoned for up to 10 years.

A summary conviction in the magistrates’ court carries a maximum 12 month prison sentence and/or a fine.

Re: PETER RIDSDALE IN COURT

Thu May 05, 2011 11:39 am

carlccfc wrote:Peter has been in magistrates court this morning and that was the reason for him being in Cardiff.

Reason for his appearance could it be a 'GOLDEN' reason but I am sure we will find out soon enough.

I can't wait to find out Carl.

I bet he won't want a referendum on any verdict I would deffo vote YES for guilty in that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am

i do not understand, anyone want to explain for me please

Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am

carlccfc wrote:Peter has been in magistrates court this morning and that was the reason for him being in Cardiff.

it could be anything really I suppose from just paying a parking ticket to major fraud :lol:

Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 am

a golden oppertunity for retrebution :D

Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 pm

has riddler commited an offence then carl ?

also i dont get the "posting below due to legal reasons" part,
is this board under an investigation..............i bet this will be the FA's excuse not to allow us in the prem

Thu May 05, 2011 12:07 pm

GTS

THATS IT.

Thu May 05, 2011 12:18 pm

bluebird04 wrote:i do not understand, anyone want to explain for me please

In my opinion (just to cover everyone :lol: ) Ridsdale could have possibly breached trading standards regulations. I remember posting at the time that he may be committing criminal offence by advertising in a misleading way (e.g. the season ticket revenue would be used to purchase players).

Complaints were made to Trading Standards (I remember sending off an Email) so the investigating Trading Standards Officers might have used their powers to take action if they have proof that a consumer protection law has been broken.

Re: PETER RIDSDALE

Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 pm

I remember seeing Football Focus a few weeks back and part of the football expo they were featuring was a conference about finances in football and he was being interviewed by the BBC as part of his contribution as a delegate. I don't think you could really make up irony like that, could you?

Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes Carl you are very near the truth, now this will be very interesting .
Dave Jones called as a witness, will he back the Riddler ?

Thu May 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Annis I just talked to PR and he alledgedly said that he has done nothing wrong but if he did then it was in good faith, seems the qpr bug is getting caught by everyone :lol:

What I have written is not deemed to be the truth but a figment of my imagination :lol:

Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Igovernor wrote:Annis I just talked to PR and he alledgedly said that he has done nothing wrong but if he did then it was in good faith, seems the qpr bug is getting caught by everyone :lol:

What I have written is not deemed to be the truth but a figment of my imagination :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " PETER RIDSDALE "

Thu May 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Dunno what the problem is, i always found Mr Peter Ridsdale a decent and honest chap :? :?

Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Oh so I cant say things like he is A ROBBING b*stard, A CROOK, LEPER, A SLIME BALL THAT WOULD ROB THE EYES OUT OF YOUR HEAD.

Of course these are words of my own and not that of AAMB and those connected to it, sue me you FAT ROBBING THIEVING b*stard.

Thu May 05, 2011 2:07 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:

Oh so I cant say things like he is A ROBBING b*stard, A CROOK, LEPER, A SLIME BALL THAT WOULD ROB THE EYES OUT OF YOUR HEAD.

Of course these are words of my own and not that of AAMB and those connected to it, sue me you FAT ROBBING THIEVING b*stard.

you still got his fone number then Rich ?? :lol:

Thu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Golden or "platinum"???

Thu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm

The main office for Cardiff Council trading standards department is in Charles Street :o

Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:

you still got his fone number then Rich ?? :lol:

Yeah I do actually :lol:

Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Has a Cardiff fan taken him to court, after using our previous seasons season ticket money to pay off club debts? :D

Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm

could not believe it today,i was on the phone to annis parked by the traders tavern when i said to annis have a guess who i can see ,i think he fell off his chair when i said it was ridsdale. the second time ive made annis speechless in weeks wounderful.i shouted out peter so annis would believe me .

Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:

Get off the Fence and say waht you really mean :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu May 05, 2011 9:20 pm

NIBluebird wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:

Get off the Fence and say waht you really mean :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Did he have to swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Fri May 06, 2011 12:51 am

Golden Days IF he's found guilty....!! :ayatollah:

Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 am

Sven Ghali wrote:Golden Days IF he's found guilty....!! :ayatollah:

you were his biggest fan at one time! how times change!

Fri May 06, 2011 1:42 am

I certainly don't believe everything I read in the press but I assume the following is an accurate summary of why PR was in court yesterday:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -28641894/

It says that Cardiff council want a trial to be held in a Crown Court. One of the charges is fraud, very serious stuff - possible prison sentence if found guilty in a Crown Court.

Apparently DJ was called as a witness. Does anyone else remember it being announced (on the official city web-site I think) that the idea of selling season tickets early to fund player purchases was DJ's in the first place? As I remember it it was stated that he went to the board with this idea which they agreed with - it came out later that the club was under a transfer embargo at the time and so couldn't use the money for its stated purpose - did DJ know this I wonder?

I guess that if/when this does go to court then the full story will come out - look forward to it with interest. :roll: :roll:

Fri May 06, 2011 1:52 am

Those charges wont stick i doubt.

Anyway it's nothing compared to the far bigger case of current director Alan Whittleitaway or however his name spelt allegedlly.

Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am

Daya wrote:Those charges wont stick i doubt.

Anyway it's nothing compared to the far bigger case of current director Alan Whittleitaway or however his name spelt allegedlly.

Steve Id love to know where all the missing mi££ions went from CCFC ........ considering DJ says in his book he sold over £25 mil worth of players and the fact that the major creditor Sam Langstone still waiting to be paid ??

Re: " PETER RIDSDALE " CROWN COURT ? GOLDEN TICKET SCAM

Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am

Daya, what has Whitely allegedly done then?

Re: " PETER RIDSDALE " CROWN COURT ? GOLDEN TICKET SCAM

Fri May 06, 2011 10:10 am

Natman Blue wrote:Daya, what has Whitely allegedly done then?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... -28359752/