Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Exclusive: JONES BIDS FAREWELL TO BLUEBIRDS

Wed May 04, 2011 2:54 pm

JONES BIDS FAREWELL TO BLUEBIRDS04/05/2011

Barrow legend Paul Jones bade an emotional farewell to Holker Street as the Bluebirds secured their future in the Blue Square Bet Premier at the weekend.

The 32-year-old lionhearted defender, who skippered Barrow to promotion in 2008 and FA Trophy Wembley glory in 2010, came off the bench in the closing stages as the Bluebirds beat Hayes and Yeading 2-0 in their final game of the season.

Barrow finished the campaign in 18th place, four points clear of the relegation zone.

North West rivals Altrincham and Southport joined Histon and Eastbourne in falling through the Blue Square Bet Premier trapdoor.

Fans’ favourite Jones (pictured), for whom it was a 290th appearance in Barrow colours, threw his shirt and captain’s armband into the crowd on Saturday’s full-time whistle, then said: “I’ve loved every minute of my time at Barrow, but I think it’s now time for me to step aside.

“I’m so happy that I got to come back (from a loan spell at Droylsden) and play today, though it was probably the most nervous I’ve ever been in a Barrow shirt.

“I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone at the club and the fans for everything down the years and all the appreciation.

“Barrow really is a great club to play for and I’ll definitely be recommending it to others.

“I’m not sure what’s next for me, but I don’t want to hang up my boots just yet.”

> http://www.nwemail.co.uk

Re: Exclusive: JONES BIDS FAREWELL TO BLUEBIRDS

Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 pm

keep up at the back...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43924