Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

1970-71 season

Wed May 04, 2011 11:37 am

I was talking to my old man last night and he said the season above killed City for 20 Years !!

Should of gone up !
sold Toshack!

lots of support turned there back on city and some say they never came back!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80 ... .C._season

similarities!

Re: 1970-71 season

Wed May 04, 2011 11:49 am

In still around.

Wed May 04, 2011 11:51 am

He's right I was there every game that season and Tosh leaving killed us and yes it set the club back 20 years well to be truthfull nearer 40 years because only now are we back where we were. Can we go that step further this time?

Wed May 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Fingers crossed!
My dad said we were called Cardiff shitty in the area till the early 90's
Bloody cheek!
apparently in the 1960's we were getting 60k for games only 10 years before this (1 game !!lol)
city till I die! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2011 12:26 pm

ihatealiens wrote:He's right I was there every game that season and Tosh leaving killed us and yes it set the club back 20 years well to be truthfull nearer 40 years because only now are we back where we were. Can we go that step further this time?

Geoff Twentyman the Liverpool Cheif Scout when they signed John Toshack, listed 'Tosh' as one of his 'Discoveries'

Before signing for Liverpool in 1970 Toshack made 162 appearances scoring 74 goals since his debut for City in 1965 so it is hard to understand how GT thought he was some kind of f**king secert :lol:

Wed May 04, 2011 12:45 pm

that bloke claimed everyone !
Who knows If we had kept Tosh and Clarke up front we might of stayed in the 1st divsion till now :ayatollah: !

Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 pm

placid-casual wrote:I was talking to my old man last night and he said the season above killed City for 20 Years !!

Should of gone up !
sold Toshack!

similarities!

Forget all this I'll Be There Stuff - I was there then, I'm here now and I'll be here as long as god allows. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 pm

There are still taxi drivers in cardiff who say they've never been back down the City since they sold Toshack.

I can recall as a young nipper queueing for my milk in school when I heard the news he'd been sold and was stunned.

The season imploded, and although they did well to get back into it, 3 defeats in particular to watford at home, Luton away (Malcolm McDonald hatrick) and Sheff u away did for us.

We came 3rd.

The folowing season the top 3 went up.................typical luck of the City.

If I ever see City in the top flight in the years I have left then I'll run naked down St Mary Street.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm

placid-casual wrote:I was talking to my old man last night and he said the season above killed City for 20 Years !!

Should of gone up !
sold Toshack!

similarities!

It still hurts :old:

Wed May 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Danny Says wrote:There are still taxi drivers in cardiff who say they've never been back down the City since they sold Toshack.

I can recall as a young nipper queueing for my milk in school when I heard the news he'd been sold and was stunned.

The season imploded, and although they did well to get back into it, 3 defeats in particular to watford at home, Luton away (Malcolm McDonald hatrick) and Sheff u away did for us.

Totally dominated that Waford game but lost to a solitary goal. We then got hammered away to Sheff Utd 5-1 and then relied on Watford to beat them at Brammel Lane while we needed to beat Leyton Orient at Ninian. When the HT scores were read out Ninian was alibrary, first time I witnessed that. The announcer read Sheff Utd 2 Watford 0 and we then knew our chance had gone. The Blades went on to win 3-0 and we then played our last game against Luton, a none plus game by now, and lost 3-0.

Wed May 04, 2011 5:15 pm

My old man used to live & breathe City & used to take me down the City as a nipper in July just to see how the grass at NP was growing.This was in the day before wall to wall away coverage but a teleprinter on BBC 1 at 4;45pm saturdays where we used to wait for the City result to come in & the b*stard thing always seemed to be stuck halfway across our result.When it finally came in & we'd won he'd clap & cheer at the tele. This all changed in November 71 & after that it was never the same,we used to go to all the games but the magic for him had gone. City sold their souls that year & there was a lot of deep rooted bitterness.