Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Furious Jones blasts boozed-up 'unprofessional' players

Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... t-out.html

"Dave Jones tore into his Cardiff players yesterday after discovering they had been out drinking less than 48 hours before the crushing defeat that cost them the chance of automatic promotion to the Barclays Premier League.

The Cardiff manager gave his squad permission to attend a supporters' player-of-the-year function on Saturday, on condition they remained sober and headed straight home afterwards.

Instead, Sportsmail understands most of them headed into the city centre for a booze session that went on late into the night.

Some are thought to have been drinking the night before as well.

Cardiff were vying with Norwich for the second automatic promotion slot but blew their chances on Monday, less than two days after the players' unauthorised night out, with an embarrassing home defeat by Middlesbrough.

Striker Jay Bothroyd and full-back Jlloyd Samuel were two of the more high-profile players who stayed out, with on-loan Bolton defender Samuel being substituted by Jones during Cardiff's shambolic defeat.

They were 3-0 down after barely 20 minutes and left the field at half-time to loud boos.

After being left once more to battle it out in the play-offs, Jones apologised to supporters for his side's shortcomings against Middlesbrough.

When he subsequently discovered the players' late-night antics may have been a contributory factor, he laid into them and labelled them 'unprofessional'.

In a scathing attack, Jones, whose position will be under threat if Cardiff miss out on promotion again, made it clear he will sack any player he finds 'with a glass in their hand' between now and the end of the season.

Despite his past record for courting trouble in Cardiff, Craig Bellamy was thought not to have been among the late-night revellers."

Re: Furious Jones blasts boozed-up 'unprofessional' players

Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 pm

cc592 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1383280/Furious-Dave-Jones-blasts-Cardiff-City-players-boozy-night-out.html

"Dave Jones tore into his Cardiff players yesterday after discovering they had been out drinking less than 48 hours before the crushing defeat that cost them the chance of automatic promotion to the Barclays Premier League.

The Cardiff manager gave his squad permission to attend a supporters' player-of-the-year function on Saturday, on condition they remained sober and headed straight home afterwards.

Instead, Sportsmail understands most of them headed into the city centre for a booze session that went on late into the night.

Some are thought to have been drinking the night before as well.

Cardiff were vying with Norwich for the second automatic promotion slot but blew their chances on Monday, less than two days after the players' unauthorised night out, with an embarrassing home defeat by Middlesbrough.

Striker Jay Bothroyd and full-back Jlloyd Samuel were two of the more high-profile players who stayed out, with on-loan Bolton defender Samuel being substituted by Jones during Cardiff's shambolic defeat.

They were 3-0 down after barely 20 minutes and left the field at half-time to loud boos.

After being left once more to battle it out in the play-offs, Jones apologised to supporters for his side's shortcomings against Middlesbrough.

When he subsequently discovered the players' late-night antics may have been a contributory factor, he laid into them and labelled them 'unprofessional'.

In a scathing attack, Jones, whose position will be under threat if Cardiff miss out on promotion again, made it clear he will sack any player he finds 'with a glass in their hand' between now and the end of the season.

Despite his past record for courting trouble in Cardiff, Craig Bellamy was thought not to have been among the late-night revellers."

oh shit :(

Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Heads should roll those players cost us possible promotion. Samuals should be sent back to his parent club in disgrace. Bothroyd should be fined the maximum. And if Chopra had also been involved again then he should be released at the end of the season. Disgusting

Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Provided this is true I wonder what Craig Bellamy makes of it all.

The players in question should be ashamed of themselves although I doubt they'll give a shit.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Disgraceful, what is even going through they're heads? Must be stupid.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 pm

2games in 6 days then they could do what the f**k they liked, idiots. JLS wanted a Perm move? League One puts up with professionalism like that, if he's lucky.

Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 am

Who the hell organised the Supporters' Player of the Year event to be held before the end of the season - ridiculous, asking for trouble.

Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 am

Bunch of wankers.

Wed May 04, 2011 6:04 am

EllBoy wrote:Who the hell organised the Supporters' Player of the Year event to be held before the end of the season - ridiculous, asking for trouble.

Totally Agree.....f*cking incredible..!!... :evil: :evil:

Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 am

sack the f*cking lot of them, put the academy out against burnley :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2011 6:39 am

Sounds to me like a lazy journalist has been reading messageboards!

No facts, and no quotes as far as I could see.

Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 am

Sounds to me like a lazy journalist has been reading messageboards!

Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 am

Owain wrote:Sounds to me like a lazy journalist has been reading messageboards!

I wouldn't say that. Jones appologised to the fans for the performance and that is a major departure from his previous responses to similar results i.e. Ipswich.

Wed May 04, 2011 6:54 am

I don't think your players ever have or ever will have any respect for Davey Jones he's got the psassion of a house brick

Wed May 04, 2011 6:57 am

An action like this just goes to show the real feelings players have for there clubs and fans, They know what this means to the fans and how the fans travel all over the uk to support them, and deep down they dont give a fK, Now where are all the guys on here that slag other guys off for leaving early ? what respect should we as fans have ,for players that have no respect for the shirt they wear and the fans that support them ? I wish I had know about this when I went down to the vale on Tuesday , I think some off you know I dont give a fk , I say what I think and What I think I would have said to them I would have shouted it from the side and told them to there fking face !

Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 am

they should all have their wages docked

Wed May 04, 2011 7:24 am

EllBoy wrote:Who the hell organised the Supporters' Player of the Year event to be held before the end of the season - ridiculous, asking for trouble.

Agreed. Crazy decision all round and the players involved should be ashamed of themselves and got rid at end of season. Shows what they think of DJ and the club hierarchy mind. Arrogance and complacency again.

Wed May 04, 2011 7:41 am

Instead of slagging off the organisers of the event's timing, maybe we should be looking at the player's lack of professionalism and maturity in deciding a night out on the piss was more important than staying sober, having an early night and preparing themselves properly for the Boro match. Maybne they don't deserve life in the Premiership, but us fans certainly do

Wed May 04, 2011 7:49 am

Other clubs and their players are quite capable of having awards nights without going out on the piss and intefering in performances. Nothing to do with what night it was on - most clubs have them that week

Wed May 04, 2011 7:52 am

Jones blasts players,big wow the players don't give a shit. Hit them where it hurts in the pocket & that J lloyd Samuel I'd f**k him off ,he seems a bad influence. Not that they need much encouragement :idea:

Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 am

Xcasual wrote:Jones blasts players,big wow the players don't give a shit. Hit them where it hurts in the pocket & that J lloyd Samuel I'd f**k him off ,he seems a bad influence. Not that they need much encouragement :idea:

aye coz Kev , Darcy , Quinn and Naylor can cover left back now that Hudson is fit again ??

Wed May 04, 2011 7:58 am

With regards to Samuel, this is the sort of lad we have on our plate...

During his appearance on MTV's Footballers Cribs, Samuel revealed he calls himself 'Sweetboy' and calls his wife Emma Pritchard 'Sweetgirl'.

Oh dear. Poor man's Jermaine Defoe with reference to his demeanour??? :(

Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

With the past history of certain players lack of self discipline I firmly believe that DJ should have made the players stay in the Vale and ensured that they all conformed to his wishes.
Jones seems to want to be too close to the players and I am afraid that they have taken advantage of this. He seems to like problem players but he should concentrate on managing the squad not being an agony aunt.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 am

I just don't understand this obsession they all have with going out? Are they incapable of just waiting a few weeks before getting smashed? Can't they just stay in and chill out for a few weeks? Is it that f*cking hard? I'd stay in for 10 years if I was on their money.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 am

ridofrid wrote:With the past history of certain players lack of self discipline I firmly believe that DJ should have made the players stay in the Vale and ensured that they all conformed to his wishes.
Jones seems to want to be too close to the players and I am afraid that they have taken advantage of this. He seems to like problem players but he should concentrate on managing the squad not being an agony aunt.

Good point.

Can anyone tell me if Jones was at the player of the year presentation? Because if he was then surely he had a responsibility to ensure the players did leave for home at the end?

Of course if he wasn't there then he got what he deserved.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:17 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
ridofrid wrote:With the past history of certain players lack of self discipline I firmly believe that DJ should have made the players stay in the Vale and ensured that they all conformed to his wishes.

Good point.

Can anyone tell me if Jones was at the player of the year presentation? Because if he was then surely he had a responsibility to ensure the players did leave for home at the end?

Of course if he wasn't there then he got what he deserved.

surely the players can do that for themselves, dont need to have their hand held

Wed May 04, 2011 8:23 am

Jones was there and all players were told to go home and NO drinking, on the evening as far as i could see all players were drinking orange juice/ water. it must be like being in charge of big kids, they shouldn't have to be told NO DRINKING LATER :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2011 8:35 am

what f~cking planet are they on , don't they want to play in the premier league, i thought it was every players dream, may be bothroyd knows he'll be in the top flight next season what ever and some of the others know they ain't good enough for the prem and would probabley be sold on if promotion was achieved, personally i just don't get the attitude of many players these days it stinks :twisted:

Wed May 04, 2011 8:54 am

Just a few points of clarification

1) the dinner was on Friday , not Saturday. If the journalist got that basic fact wrong , how accurate are his other "sources".

2) as far as I recall , the Player of the Year Dinner has always been held before the end of the season without anyone raising the issue as a problem before

3) the players at the dinner(Jason Koumas was the only obvious absentee) were all sober and left early - nearly all were gone before 10.

So the issue seems to be what the players did or did not get up to after they left the dinner , not a problem with the dinner itself which was a very good , well attended event.
If the players then disobeyed club orders and went out into town on the p*ss then they deserve whatever bollocking/club fine they get as that would have been hugely unprofessional. But other than having them electronically tagged , I am not sure what else the club could have done to prevent it.