Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Cardiff v M'boro 2 may 2011 "

Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Middlesborough at the start of the season were the favourites to win the Championship. They had a manager with vast experience who was allowed to spend during the summer to build a team. So they went into the season optimistic being the club that had spent more on players than any other. It was not long before this optimism was killed as the club found themselves near the relegation zone. The team with its new players was not working and the manager was called into the board room. This manager realising he had not got it right resigned his post and ripped up his contract in front of the board member therefore forgoing any compensation he was entitled to. I call this the Strachan factor and although I hope not to see it at my club, if needs be I hope it is used.

Cardiff fielded the same side that had gone on an unbeaten 8 game run so confidence was high and the atmosphere in the ground reflect this. The away stand had been given to family members with the away support of 400 tucked in the corner. A contingent of 60 had come from Cardiff fan second team Chasetown to cheer the Bluebird onto premiership status. This high expectation was soon squashed.

Within the first 3 minutes Cardiff went behind. From Middlesborough first attack down the right wing there winger sent in a cross that found its way between Keinan and McNaughton. Without being challenged and from 12 yards a Boro head directed the ball wide of Heaton. The ball trickled into the net with the Cardiff goalkeeper just a spectator. The crowd was silenced as the familiar fear of capitulation appeared.
From the restart Cardiff looked lost as the Middlesborough attacked the right wing where Samuels the Cardiff left full back look well of the pace. In the 13th minute a low cross from this right found a Boro foot that diverted the ball into the left side of the goal once again leaving Heaton standing.
More attacks followed down this right wing and yet again Samuels was found wanting on the half hour mark as his attacked left him standing at the byline. The ball was sent low into the area and from 12 yards another Boro foot slammed the ball into the net.

An exodus of Cardiff fans made their way to the exits as Cardiff restarted for the 3rd time. The crowd was totally stunned and tempers started to appear. Another season of disappointment and let down suddenly filled the stadium. Dave Jones brought on Jason Koumas for Samuels who looked up in the sky with disappointment. He should have not been surprised.

Cardiff responded with their first attack on goal. Jay Bothroyd found himself in space inside the Boro area. As he lined his shot up a Boro footed plunged itself to deflect the ball away for a corner. It is sad to say that there was more effort in that challenge than anything produced by the Cardiff defence.

The referee brought the half to an end with Cardiff 3 down, not one shot on goal and a crowd booing their team off the pitch.

The start of the second half saw a more determined Cardiff. Kevin McNaughton went close within the first minute as he met a floating cross from Bellamy that he scooped over the bar.

Cardiff pressed for a goal mainly down the right hand side but any cross was easily handled by the Boro keeper. As the game went on Cardiff made very little impression on the Boro goal and were reduced to long shots of which Chris Burke went close from 15 yards.

Cardiff brought on Chopra for Quinn and with Mcphail being replaced at half time for Blake, they had perhaps the most attacking formation all season. However they failed to force a serious save from the Boro keeper with perhaps his only contribution was to stop a weak effort from Burke. This was summed up in the last 10 minutes when Oli from 12 yards and a free header sent the ball over the bar not troubling the keeper.

The ground was practically empty when the referee brought the game to an end. Around 1000 supporters stayed for the lap of honour. The Middlesborough team were applauded by these 1000 after they had thanked their own fans for their support. The victorious team acknowledge these 1000 which brought a bit of cheer to me as we showed great sportmanship in defeat.

We waited for the Cardiff players to come out and eventually they did but without the manager. They looked not interested with only McNaughton making any effort, just like he has all season. I struggled to applaud them but somehow did mainly due to those around me.

Summing up. It hurt then ands it is hurting now. So much that now I fear for us if by some miracle we do go up. How can a team go from an 8 game unbeaten run too that. Name me one other team that has capitulated like we have over the last 3 seasons. We cannot go forward until we have sorted this out.

Re: " Match report Cardiff v M'boro 2 may 2011 "

Tue May 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Now that Match Report Hurt Reading it Ian, But then as they say the Truth Hurts, Good report once again :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Another good analysis [as usual]. The last comment is the relevant point too me.

Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Great report, Ian, but heartbreaking to read and be reminded of it all again.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I did predict 3-0 on our way to the ground Ian, just got the teams mixed up. :(

Good report as usual.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Good honest report Ian absolutely gutted with the attitude, commitment and apparent inability of DJ's sides to get over anything that resembles a final hurdle. However for some reason, and I've said it all year, I still think we're going up. Now that may be via the play off's or even by the forecasted default but I have a feeling.

Good to meet you Saturday, catch up again soon :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Spot On Ian, Sad but true :( ......Great report as usual. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Spot on mate :ayatollah:

Fri May 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Cheers Ian, look forward to Burnley match report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: