Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" JOE LEDLEY WOULD LOVE TO PLAY FOR CARDIFF AGAIN "

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 am

Joe Ledley: I’d love to play for Cardiff again one day
by Mark Bloom, South Wales Echo
Apr 30 2011

FORMER Bluebirds star Joe Ledley has revealed that he would love to play for his hometown club again one day.

Ledley, 24, left the club he made over 250 first-team appearances for last summer to join Scottish giants Celtic.

Many Bluebirds fans accused Ledley of turning his back on the club with Cardiff not receiving any compensation for him, while the Wales midfielder felt City had dithered over offering him a new deal.

But Ledley – who has made an impressive start to Celtic life with the club on the brink of a league and cup double – has declared that his heart remains in the Welsh capital.

He told the Echo: “One day I’d love to return to Cardiff, but that would depend on who was in charge – and if City fans want me back.

“You can never take out what is born inside you and I never want to.

“Of all the things I have done to date, and hope to do in the future, my goal against Barnsley at Wembley was the best footballing moment of my career without a shadow of a doubt.

“Being born in Cardiff and sending the club through to its first FA Cup final for more than 80 years was a moment that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

“It was a special moment and I must have played it back in my mind a thousand or more times since.”

Re: " JOE LEDLEY WOULD LOVE TO PLAY FOR CARDIFF AGAIN "

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 am

Interesting that he says he'd come back depending who was in charge........

I would welcome Ledley back with open arms. Legend and a true bluebird :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:01 am

PhatFrog wrote:Interesting that he says he'd come back depending who was in charge........

I would welcome Ledley back with open arms. Legend and a true bluebird :ayatollah:

Hannah

Many players would not have left if DJ was not our manager.

Especially Matthews/Ramsey/Gunter etc etc

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:07 am

i think its a case of what league we are in, rather than what manager! ... he`d have stayed if we`d gone up last year even if colonel gadaffi was in charge! .... i`d never have him back now! not after he walked away for nothing!

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:10 am

AHERNE wrote:i think its a case of what league we are in, rather than what manager! ... he`d have stayed if we`d gone up last year even if colonel gadaffi was in charge! .... i`d never have him back now! not after he walked away for nothing!

He wouldn't get in our side now.He made his bed,now he can lie in it

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 am

Forever Blue wrote:
PhatFrog wrote:Interesting that he says he'd come back depending who was in charge........

Hannah

But many more than that would not have joined/stayed if it wasn't for DJ being our manager. We've certainly gained more than we've lost.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Hannah

Yes but in the nicest since Annis,

A lot of players wouldn't have come in if it wasn't for DJ

Bellamy Bothroyd etc... etc...

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Hannah

You reckon Ramsey would have stayed if we had someone else in charge? As gutted as I was that Aaron left, with the financial difficulties we had, I think we had to sell him to stay afloat.

But then even with the backing of the Malaysians, Matthews is leaving, and he obviously has a hell of a lot of talent but not given a proper chance, so DJ must be to blame for Matthews leaving.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:28 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Hannah

Thought Ramsey (and possibly Gunter) left, because we needed the money! :?

Ramsey did come back on loan for a few weeks though, whilst DJ was in charge!

Don't know whether you've kept up with walesonline whilst you've been away though Annis, as both Koumas and Bothroyd, have both said that they only came to Cardiff (and back again in Koumas's case) because DJ was/is the manager and that he's been great for them! Many others have renewed their contracts at Cardiff whilst DJ has been in charge, including McPhail and Super Kev, who has been at Cardiff since 2006!

Oloinjana played for DJ before and came to play for him and if you forgive that he is not now the player he must have been under DJ at Wolves as well, so did Naylor!

For every player that has left Cardiff (possibly because of DJ), there are many others who have stayed!

In Ledley's case, he left for £28,000 per week, which appears to have been more than double we were prepared to pay him! :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 am

I'd welcome him back.

He wouldn't fit into our squad with the players we have, but I'd bring him back.

At the end of the day he left under shite circumstances. With a child on the way, I'd have probably done the same.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:59 am

makes you laugh, i love cardiff so much, i will come back when i have lined my pockets...blah blah blah.
all The Dave Jones Haters will be drooling over this.
He would of left whoever was manager, wasnt the manager who decides he cant pay him 25k a week which he wanted,
if he loved us so much he would of signed a contract, but with an option to be able to leave if a big club came in, at least he would of made sure his home town club would of got money.
I respect him as a footballer plater, but thats it.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:01 am

Forever Blue wrote:Joe Ledley: I’d love to play for Cardiff again one day
Apr 30 2011

FORMER Bluebirds star Joe Ledley has revealed that he would love to play for his hometown club again one day.

Ledley, 24, left the club he made over 250 first-team appearances for last summer to join Scottish giants Celtic.

Many Bluebirds fans accused Ledley of turning his back on the club with Cardiff not receiving any compensation for him, while the Wales midfielder felt City had dithered over offering him a new deal.

But Ledley – who has made an impressive start to Celtic life with the club on the brink of a league and cup double – has declared that his heart remains in the Welsh capital.

He told the Echo: “One day I’d love to return to Cardiff, but that would depend on who was in charge – and if City fans want me back.

“Of all the things I have done to date, and hope to do in the future, my goal against Barnsley at Wembley was the best footballing moment of my career without a shadow of a doubt.

“Being born in Cardiff and sending the club through to its first FA Cup final for more than 80 years was a moment that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

“It was a special moment and I must have played it back in my mind a thousand or more times since.”

The little lamb is homesick! Just another case of a player being greedy and thinking the grass is greener elsewhere. When we are promoted next Saturday, we can start planning to bring in better quality players than Ledley, i haven't seen anything from Ledley in the last 18 months that suggests he could play in the Premiership. in hindsight the one gig mistake the club made was not selling him to Everton or stoke for £5-£6 million.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:19 am

boxerbob wrote:
AHERNE wrote:i think its a case of what league we are in, rather than what manager! ... he`d have stayed if we`d gone up last year even if colonel gadaffi was in charge! .... i`d never have him back now! not after he walked away for nothing!

He wouldn't get in our side now.He made his bed,now he can lie in it

imagine oli and ledley in the middle of midfield :o

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 am

Everything is for sale including yourself.

Ledley went for the money, twice the wage from what I hear. Let us be honest here we would all have done the same in his shoes.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 am

Think Ledley lived off one good season and a few "heroic" goals and thats about it. For the club he loved as a kid, he left us in the shit. I think people are more blinded by the fact he was a Cardiff boy than what he did on the field. Only way I'd want him back is if we were struggling in the Midfield which I find we're not.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 am

would love to have joe back... it wasnt joe's fault but the club's...in fact the riddler's...

:ayatollah: JOE LEDLEY :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am

He can stay up Scotland ,he has no loyalty to us, perhaps the thought of us getting promoted has got ledley interested. WE DONT WANT YOU BACK.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am

f**k you joe

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:21 am

So Joe would still like to play for us again even after all the abuse some fans have given him on the message boards. Wasn't too disappointed when he left but a bit gutted that he didn't join an English club so we could get some dosh for him. Not really bothered about losing Matthews. Don't think he has really shown when he did play that he us an exceptional talent. Good yes but nothing special. Time will tell if I am proved wrong. I was gutted at the time when Gunter left but at that time we needed to sell at least one player every season and in hindsight I think we have better fullbacks than him on Super Kev and the Mighty Quinn(come on without,come on within, you'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn). As for Ramsey leaving because of DJ, you gotta be having a laugh. He is such a talent that all the top clubs were falling over themselves to get him. Again it was at a time when we needed to sell at least one if our best players every year to raise money to bring new players in and pay off some debts. Wish he could have stayed with us but with clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd after him he was never gonna stay so don't try and blame DJ. Really think Mr Ridsdale dropped a bollock though by virtually giving him away.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:24 am

Forever Blue wrote:Joe Ledley: I’d love to play for Cardiff again one day
Apr 30 2011

he is having a laugh he isnt good enough full stop. he's only a little bit better than gavin rae. lets move on from him please

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:26 am

J-O-E L-E-D-L-E-Y its Joe Ledley!

Super Joe. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:38 am

to those who think joe ledley could be a premiership player get your heads out of your backsides :lol: :lol:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:57 pm

I would have Joe back, in a flash, he had a work rate that I have not seen since he has gone,stamina and a love for the club,I cannot ever remember him going missing in a game, or having a bad game for that matter, Mr consistency.

Why oh why do people have a go at Dave Jones at every opportunity, picking out a sentence of Joe, says "depending who is manager" he could have meant the opposite, if the board get rid of Jones he would not come back, they have worked together for 5 years and I cannot ever remember Joe criticizing Jones, for what ever reason, I believe he was one of the few players who could have got away with it.

With two massive,massive games to go and lets see if we can have a pop at our manager, by interpretation something that may suite some fans agenda.

Dave Jones is the best manager we have had in this part of the world since the war!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 pm

I'd have him back and play him left back! :D

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Hannah

why was Ramsey willing to come back with Dave jones in charge if he had a problem with him ? :ayatollah:

Also Ramsey was a class act I think he would of gone with any manager in charge. Any manager would struggle to persuade a player to pick Cardiff over Arsenal

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:14 pm

I,m not going to go over old ground about how he went for money etc (been there, done that) but he does make me laugh when he keeps going on about playing in front of huge crowds and can hardly hear himself speak. Celtic only have a full house twice a season when they play rangers (unless they draw each other in the cup, this seasson has been exceptional, 7 times) the average away attendance in the spl is about 9,000 the crowd at celtics last two away games has been just over 5,000!!!!!

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFtAVVo13A

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:42 pm

ccfc95 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Hannah

why was Ramsey willing to come back with Dave jones in charge if he had a problem with him ? :ayatollah:

Also Ramsey was a class act I think he would of gone with any manager in charge. Any manager would struggle to persuade a player to pick Cardiff over Arsenal

I Can Guarantee, Originally Ramsey did not want to come back because of DJ, he eventually did because Wegner asked him to, just ask TOP CAT, We speak to Ramsey's Grandfather every week :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Maybe Ramsey didn't want to come back maybe he did. Until I hear that direct from Ramsey himself then I don't take any notice but please don't try and make out that if it had not been for DJ that Ramsey would not have left us when he did.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Annis, at the end of the day we all know, players had to be sold every year to ensure the club was kept as much out of the red as possible. Ramsey was sold for £5million on season, Gunter for £2.5million another, Johnson for £5million. Unless we manage to get promoted this year, the same will happen again.

No matter who the manager or the owner is, we are going to have to get rid of the players who have the best chance in making a profit for the club. We're a selling club, always have been, always will be and I know for a fact you know better than most on here about that.

It isn't Dave Jones' fault that Ledley left, or Ramsey, or Gunter. It's the fact that we wern't able to offer a better deal than the other clubs around us. Some fans will find people to blame, whether it's Dave Jones, or Peter Ridsdale, and in a few weeks time, it's going to be Vincent Tan & TG. It's just a fact of supporting a club of our size and in our situation.