Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Qpr points deduction in the premier league?

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:18 pm

If Qpr were to get a points deduction could it be possible that the punishment would carry over until next season?? Does anyone know whether the laws would allow this??

Re: Qpr points deduction in the premier league?

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Nope

2 different associations.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 am

Caerphillyblue1927 wrote:If Qpr were to get a points deduction could it be possible that the punishment would carry over until next season?? Does anyone know whether the laws would allow this??

Absolutely not the FL & PL are seperate competitions played under the governance of the FA if any punishment is imposed as a result of the hearing next week it must be imposed this season.

With the result due on May 6th and with QPR allowed 5 days to appeal there is plenty of time for the matter to be dealt with before this season ends on May 31st.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

There is no chance of it carrying over. Imagine how it would look to the football world if it were allowed to drag on.

The appeal, however, may drag on for some time. Imagine this scenario: QPR win the league by, say, 9 points from the 2nd place team and they are then deducted 10 points, putting them in the play-offs and the 3rd placed team is then moved into the automatic promotion places and QPR are in the play-offs. QPR then lose the play-off semi-final and they appeal the points deduction. What would happen if the appeal is not heard, or not resolved, until next season, when 3 teams from the Championship have taken their place in the Premiership and QPR are successful in their appeal to have the points deduction overturned?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 am

Nottage Blue wrote:There is no chance of it carrying over. Imagine how it would look to the football world if it were allowed to drag on.

The appeal, however, may drag on for some time. Imagine this scenario: QPR win the league by, say, 9 points from the 2nd place team and they are then deducted 10 points, putting them in the play-offs and the 3rd placed team is then moved into the automatic promotion places and QPR are in the play-offs. QPR then lose the play-off semi-final and they appeal the points deduction. What would happen if the appeal is not heard, or not resolved, until next season, when 3 teams from the Championship have taken their place in the Premiership and QPR are successful in their appeal to have the points deduction overturned?

The simple answer to that is the FA would never reverse it's original decision.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:57 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:There is no chance of it carrying over. Imagine how it would look to the football world if it were allowed to drag on.

The simple answer to that is the FA would never reverse it's original decision.

So what would the resolution be?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 am

Nottage Blue wrote:So what would the resolution be?

I sought of touched on this the other night although I'm not 100% sure this is how it would pan out or whether I am legally correct, but at a guess I would imagine it is possible.

If QPR were docked 9 points and fell into a Play-Off position and lost in either the Semi or Final, the FA could take the stance that having competed in the Play-Off's they (QPR) had accepted the findings of the FA commission.

If QPR pursued with an appeal and somehow overturned the original decsion, the FA/FL would still have the defence that QPR had competed in the Play-Off's instead of seeking an injunction through the courts.

On that basis I would assume that even though the FA were wrong to deduct the points, QPR would find it very difficult to change their status as a Championship team or even seek financial compensation.

Personally though I would think the chances of the FA reversing its decision and causing itself a whole load of problems is very very remote.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 am

If they have points deducted, putting them in the play offs, Its up to them if they take part in play offs . If they do then they are acepting the punishment. If they appeal then the 7th side will take part in play offs. QPR's points if won back on appeal will be given back at the start of next season. The FA/FL will not let any thing stop or delay the play offs. With the Champions League final a week later.In front of a World wide audience. JMO

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 am

If QPR are found guilty and decide to appeal whatever punishment they are dished out they are only 2 options open to them to base their appeal on. Firstly any appeal must be submitted within 5 days of notification (on or before May 11th) I believe the FA would hear that appeal no more than 2 days after receipt of the appeal to ensure the process is completed without delay.

QPR must base any appeal on either NEW evidence which was not available to the original hearing, but this is only allowed in very exceptional circumstances and is extremely difficult to get a positive result on.

The other option is that they can appeal the severity of the punishment i.e. fines to high or to many points deducted, this is the easier of the options and normally does bring success. If you remember Swindon Town were relegated 2 divisions reduced to 1 on appeal after the appeal there is no further avenue open to the club remember Sheffield Utd tried to get the High Court to force the PL into deducting points from West Ham and the High Court threw the application out.

The only other option is to appeal to the Court Of Arbitration In Sport but that could take months if not years and will not stop the competition i.e. playoffs being completed. There is no court that will issue an injunction from preventing the playoffs taking place.

The process is simple you have a hearing if the result is not guilty there is no further action, if guilty punishment is applied and the right of appeal is allowed there is a further hearing for any appeal and whatever the outcome that is the end of the process. This process is intended only to allow consistent governance of the competition and fair and consistent application of the rules of the competition, claims for financial loss are seperate from the competition and can take years i.e. Sheffield Utd against West Ham.

This matter in terms of football administration and governance will be completed before the end of this season and I for one would be surprised if the process was not completed before the playoff process started. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: