Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

McPhail

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:18 am

Now, I'm generally in the camp suggesting his legs have gone and yes, yesterday his passes were sloppy at times particularly late on. However, yesterday I thought he did so much hard work in quashing QPR attacks and possession in the middle that it needs to be recognised. I'm not saying I agree with the Echo saying he was man of the match but he certainly wasn't as bad as many are suggesting.

We are quick to slate him when he does something wrong so I am going to point out the areas of his game where I felt he did well yesterday. QPR played a 5 man midfield... we had a 4 man midfield... and I have to say, I felt we had the better midfield. Says a lot.

Re: McPhail

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 am

in my opinion mcphail is still a quality player at this level... he works hard, he is calm and assured on the ball. and sticks a foot. or be it sometimes with less composure than paul scholes.
i think he and oli work well together, sometimes we do get over run, but is that mcphail or jones tactics?
personal opinion i feel alot better with macca in the middle than whitts, who sometimes looks like he would be scared to tackle my nan....

although credit to whitts he has got a little braver without the ball in the last few weeks and put a foot in.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:25 am

milly44 wrote:in my opinion mcphail is still a quality player at this level... he works hard, he is calm and assured on the ball. and sticks a foot. or be it sometimes with less composure than paul scholes.
i think he and oli work well together, sometimes we do get over run, but is that mcphail or jones tactics?
personal opinion i feel alot better with macca in the middle than whitts, who sometimes looks like he would be scared to tackle my nan....

although credit to whitts he has got a little braver without the ball in the last few weeks and put a foot in.

A good point about Whittingham. It was strange yesterday because he was putting the challenges in like he has been recently but it was his usually reliable pin point passing that was off yesterday.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:34 am

Zabier wrote:
milly44 wrote:in my opinion mcphail is still a quality player at this level... he works hard, he is calm and assured on the ball. and sticks a foot. or be it sometimes with less composure than paul scholes.

A good point about Whittingham. It was strange yesterday because he was putting the challenges in like he has been recently but it was his usually reliable pin point passing that was off yesterday.

Exactly right about Whitts. His passing in the second half, and his positioning, were the two main offences

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm not one of Macca's biggest fans but i thought he had a great game yesterday :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Bowmonster wrote:I'm not one of Macca's biggest fans but i thought he had a great game yesterday :ayatollah:

Agree, whatever was wrong with some of his passing he more than made up for with his closing down and pressing of Faurlin etc.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:14 pm

i am a big McPhail fan and ithought he was outstanding yesterday Man of the Match.
people lay in to him so often when it's not deserved.

McPhail calms the game down and does the simple things.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 pm

totally agree, the fact he always makes himself avaailable for a pass is so important, even if it goes sideways or forwards it still means we keep the ball and keep the movement.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:59 pm

i have always said, i think we will see mcphail at his very best when we play premier league football.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Mcphail is quality and would walk into any other championship side .superb again yesterday and was a Contender for MOM

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm

If he worked so bloody hard then why didn't he close Taarabt down for the first goal and why did he give the ball away which produced the attack from which QPR equalised for the second time?

I lost count of how many times the useless prick lost possession and it really is unbelievable how this tw*t is defended all the time.

He is a bloody liability and disaster lurkes just around the corner for Cardiff City every minute he is on the pitch wearing our colours

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:If he worked so bloody hard then why didn't he close Taarabt down for the first goal and why did he give the ball away which produced the attack from which QPR equalised for the second time?

I lost count of how many times the useless prick lost possession and it really is unbelievable how this tw*t is defended all the time.

He is a bloody liability and disaster lurkes just around the corner for Cardiff City every minute he is on the pitch wearing our colours

sorry i have to disagree, he puts himself about, makes some very good tackles, he sprays the ball around very well and he's hardly ever out of position. every player has his problems and weaknesses but Mcphail is a very good player.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:33 pm

lewis91 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:If he worked so bloody hard then why didn't he close Taarabt down for the first goal and why did he give the ball away which produced the attack from which QPR equalised for the second time?

sorry i have to disagree, he puts himself about, makes some very good tackles, he sprays the ball around very well and he's hardly ever out of position. every player has his problems and weaknesses but Mcphail is a very good player.

The Charlie Adam free-kick in the P/O Final and who gave away the free-kick? who didn't close down Kranjčar before he crossed for Kanu in the FA Cup Final?

That's just 2 of the things that never get mentioned about the tosser.

Also he has this f*cking habbit of intstead of getting into position himself he will point at others and tell them to do it for him, the lazy b*stard. Yesterday he did it to Bellamy and got a right mouthful and it is well overtime he got more of that from everyone else.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm

mcphail is a cardiff city pro who always puts in a shift and has overcome quite a bit in injuries (not to mention illness) over the last couple of seasons

you just come across as a bit of a knob when you're calling him a prick and a tw*t to be honest

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm

I thought whittingham was to blame for the second goal? I'm sure I saw him do two things wrong at opposite ends of the movement.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 am

The Charlie Adam free-kick in the P/O Final and who gave away the free-kick? who didn't close down Kranjčar before he crossed for Kanu in the FA Cup Final?

That's just 2 of the things that never get mentioned about the tosser.

Thats because the two incidents weren't strictly his fault firstly the freekick shouldn't have been a freekick he won the ball fairly secondly it was the daft finn keeper who caused the goal... not Mcphail... Why do a lot of pundits, managers and players rate him and some our fans don't?