Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " CARDIFF CITY + WELSH CUP + EUROPE "

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Cardiff City have been offered a return to compete in the Welsh Cup along with Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr and Colwyn Bay.

If the exiles decide to accept the invite to return it would mean them competing for the first time since 1995.

The winners of the competition would be given a route into Europe, as long as Uefa and the FA agree.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/sgorio/e_/faw200411

A DREAM COME TRUE IN MY EYES.

Going Away with City in Europe are MY GREATEST MEMORIES of THE PAST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes - in the past. Those times are gone.

The Premier League is the way forward - only a matter of time before the top teams in Scotland, holland, Belgium, Denamrk get invited to join along with Wales. Eventually France , Italy and Spain. In 20 years time the Premier League will be more important than the World Cup

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 pm

As i've said elsewhere, why not withdraw ourselves, and Swansea, and others if they were in the top 4 leagues, from the League Cup.

You get naf all money from it anyway. But it would be a good trade off, adds credibility to the Welsh Cup without upsetting anyone. Run the Welsh Cup at the same time as the League cup so you wouldn't conflict with different league systems. Final might change two fixtures but that's all.

Welsh Cup is worth winning for Europe, But it doesn't last until the end of the season where Us, Swansea and Newport may de-prioritise it over the league

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

I have missed something somewhere......

Yes ...to return to Europe - but you have to win the Welsh Cup first.

Why would we want to leave he FAW ?

Why would we want to join the FA ?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Certainly shouldn't rule anything out until we know how the FA & UEFA feel about it.

Re: CARDIFF CITY + WELSH CUP + EUROPE

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:37 am

chris_ccfc wrote:I would rather Cardiff left the FAW and joined the English FA

Couldn't agree more....FA to preside over te Bluebirds and NOT the FAW (Football Amateurs of Wales)

Europe at ANY cost to our current status?? Absolutely NOT....!!

We've been there before and (Real Madrid apart) it wasn't all that exciting TBH....

Let's just wait until we get into the Chamions League through our own efforts in our own league, eh??

Don't believe it could happen?? Wind yourselves back to the year 200 and ask yourselves (honestly) did you REALLY think we'd be where we are now....??

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 am

Great news--

I can imagine a trip to Amsterdam, Spain, Sweden-- Italy ---and even Galatasary --

We must accept --even if we only play our reserves and youngsters.

Final versus the jacks at the Millenium --10 quid a ticket would be a sell out

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 am

carlccfc wrote:Cardiff City have been offered a return to compete in the Welsh Cup along with Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr and Colwyn Bay.

If the exiles decide to accept the invite to return it would mean them competing for the first time since 1995.

The winners of the competition would be given a route into Europe, as long as Uefa and the FA agree.

heared Jason Perry discussing this on the Radio this morning ..... he's not optomistic of it getting off the ground unless a route into Europe could be guaranteed which doesnt involve playing Europa League qualifiers in June etc . Cardiff and Swansea have moved on since 1995 and tbh would they field a 1st or a 2nd team in the comp if there was no route into Europe plus take into consideration where both teams are in the Championship and where both teams would like to be next season . Great idea but I think football has indeed moved on since 1995 altho personally I do miss the old Welsh Cup , and like Ive highlighted its dependant apon the FA and UEFA !

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:57 am

Vintage 63 wrote:

heared Jason Perry discussing this on the Radio this morning ..... he's not optomistic of it getting off the ground unless a route into Europe could be guaranteed which doesnt involve playing Europa League qualifiers in June etc . Cardiff and Swansea have moved on since 1995 and tbh would they field a 1st or a 2nd team in the comp if there was no route into Europe plus take into consideration where both teams are in the Championship and where both teams would like to be next season . Great idea but I think football has indeed moved on since 1995 altho personally I do miss the old Welsh Cup , and like Ive highlighted its dependant apon the FA and UEFA !

Thats the whole point as I see it because the FAW have created a truely mickey mouse league where since 1995 no team which has qualified for Europe has lasted more than the qualification rounds (Which start in June). This and the repeated failure of the national side has seen Welsh Football Status hit an all time low and IMO this is just the FAW trying to hang on to the coat tails of Cardiff & Swansea hoping that one will win the Welsh Cup and get through both the qualifying rounds then the preliminary rounds and that will be a positive for the FAW.

If we want to be a PL club then we MUST look forward and do our best to get promoted, stay in the PL and then take our chances with everyone else in the FA Cup, League Cup and the PL. Middlesbrough, Bolton and Birmingham and 3 clubs of similar size to us who have qualified for Europe in their own right either through Cup competitions or League position.

If they can do it we can do it but we must start by looking forward and look back on the past as just fond memories, forget what the FAW want or need they made the mess let them sort it out.

Our future is ahead of us not behind us. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 am

We must grab this chance

Dont know if my marriage can stand annual trips to Amsterdam /Prague/ Spain/ Scandinavia --but heck lets try it out.

Would you go to Galatasary

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 am

Id happily take Zante FC in the 1st round :D

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:31 am

At a quick glance it sounds amamzing, to good to be true but lets be honest I cant see us being able to qualify into europe through the FA and the FAW so more than likely we would be losing the chance gain European entry through the english cups and league positioning which would be a massive blow and rule out champions league.

It would be a quick fix a great fun for a season or two but long term it would be a disaster for us.
Welsh clubs get pennies from advertisements and TV rights, no one is interested in them and it wouldnt change with us in it. The money gained from entering through the English system is huge, multi million pound deals and if we ever seriously wanted to compete in europe in the future at any sort of decent level we need that money to keep a squad together, improve etc etc

Unless the FA can guarantee that we can still qualify for europe through them as well then I expect this to instantly rules out within seconds by the club and rightly so.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Having thought about it more - the starting dates, the way it would effect us with the English FA etc. - I think that CCFC should reject this.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

A DREAM COME TRUE IN MY EYES.

Going Away with City in Europe are MY GREATEST MEMORIES of THE PAST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

My best memories as well annis.
servette away was my first ever and still my favourite.
the only downside is if they go back to the rules of having to play so many welsh players in the team.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:08 pm

There is not a chance the FA or Uefa will allow us to do this!! They wont let us have the best of both worlds and im sure the other 90 English leauge clubs would have somthing to say!!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
nerd wrote:Ridiculous proposal.

Lose out of potential CL place a long way down the line to play solely in the Europe League?

And what about the Prem League - don't you need to be a FA member to be in it?

Stuff the FAW.

The Welsh FA do have a Champions League place they could entice us with, either by giving it directly to the highest placed English League team or a play-off between them and the winners of the WPL.

A CL place which involves very early pre-season qualifiers.

Which then devalues th WPL even more - you seriously think UEFA would agree to that?

Equally, the point no-one has answered either way is that, AFAIK, Prem league are bringign rules in you have to be a FA member to be in the Prem - to stop the endless crap from Rangers and Celtic about going into Prem. If that's true, this wonderful idea is a non starter.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Be amazing to be back in europe, remember Admira Wacker!!(sp?) Happy days! :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:05 pm

castleblue wrote:

I would say do not accept and ask the FAW for permission to affiliate to the FA. My main reason is that after 16 years of hardly winning a game any winner of the Welsh Cup would have to start playing in June during the qualification round of the Europa League and that would mean our players hardly having a break and that could cost us dearly.

If we are ever to get the chance of playing in Europe again then lets take our chances with the FA at least because of Englands FIFA ranking we would make it straight to the qualifying rounds in July / August.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Agree. I think a long campaign in the Europa League would severely deplete our resources and therefore badly affect our chances of success in the Championship or the Premiership

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Cant see how it would intefere with our season

THis would be our team for the first round of the Welsh Cup

1. Santiago
2. Matthews
3. Naylor
4. Gypes
5.Meaded
6. Rae
7. Wildig
8.Koumas
9.Parkin
10.Blake
11jarvis

None of those in or first team ---they would beat the likes of Rhyl or Merthyr --and wouldnt do that bad in the euro cup first round

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:55 pm

F*ck Liege i want an away trip to Rhyl :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am

i've been there on holidays,there is nothing there at all

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 am

We should disassociate ourselves from the FAW entirely.
If(when) we are in the premier league we should be subject to the same rules,conditions and procedures as all our rivals.The last thing we want is the FAW having a say in the affairs of our club,especially in matters of discipline.
By entering a competition to which the other clubs did not have access and thereby gaining an advantage,we would be making a rod
for our own backs.Imagine what the likes of Jez Moxey and Ken Bates would do with the ammunition we would be giving them!!!
Why go out of our way to create animosity against us?
We are entering the most crucial period in our club's history.Everything that has happened in the past,from 1927 to the present day,pales into insignificance compared with what is now at stake.
Let's not jeopardise the future because of a wretched parochialism.We should politely decline the offer.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 am

The thought of competing in Europe is a dream come true, the income it could potentially generate plus exposure for our club and memorable nights and trips for fans. Not since the mid 90's when Barry Town made the first round proper of the uefa cup have Wales had anyone make even a small dent in European competition. I know there are issues here regarding cheesing off our English counterparts and any future entries into Europe via the English system but aren't we getting slightly ahead of ourselves here? We have come a long way since 1995 and are on the brink of greatness but I for one would relish seeing Cardiff back competing in European competition via whatever means are possible :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:40 am

Leoforengland wrote:The thought of competing in Europe is a dream come true, the income it could potentially generate plus exposure for our club and memorable nights and trips for fans. Not since the mid 90's when Barry Town made the first round proper of the uefa cup have Wales had anyone make even a small dent in European competition. I know there are issues here regarding cheesing off our English counterparts and any future entries into Europe via the English system but aren't we getting slightly ahead of ourselves here? We have come a long way since 1995 and are on the brink of greatness but I for one would relish seeing Cardiff back competing in European competition via whatever means are possible :ayatollah:

i swear cardiff were in the eufa cup in 2000 :shock:

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Leoforengland wrote:The thought of competing in Europe is a dream come true, the income it could potentially generate plus exposure for our club and memorable nights and trips for fans. Not since the mid 90's when Barry Town made the first round proper of the uefa cup have Wales had anyone make even a small dent in European competition. I know there are issues here regarding cheesing off our English counterparts and any future entries into Europe via the English system but aren't we getting slightly ahead of ourselves here? We have come a long way since 1995 and are on the brink of greatness but I for one would relish seeing Cardiff back competing in European competition via whatever means are possible :ayatollah:

Wasn't our last appearance in Europe the Cup Winners Cup in 93/94 vs Liege? Unless you include the Algarve Cup in 2008 :lol: Which might I add was a fantastic few days and makes me want us to be back in Europe all the more!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:24 pm

I for one would not want to be a part of the FA, although we play in the English system, we are a Welsh club and should remain so.
Historicly we have been under the umbrella of the FA of Wales, like them or not, we are Welsh and not English, what do you do next scrap Wales and become a part of Ingerland? not in a million years, let the status Quo remain and if we can get back into Europe through the Welsh cup, happy days, I am one that was there for both games against Real Madrid, and the many others that we played, they were all special games and I would love to see them return, but would not sell my soul for a few more Pounds.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:21 pm

i won'nt want us back in the welsh cup the extra fixtures would be a disadvantage to us and effect our league form.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Had some fantastic European away trips over the years.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:09 am

I'm sorry guys but the Welsh Cup does not have anywhere near enough prestige to get us into Europe, it would be far too easy surely.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:29 am

For the life of me I can't figure out why they chucked us all out in the first place.

:old: AND SLEEPLESS IN CANTON.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:50 am

Leoforengland wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

Wasn't our last appearance in Europe the Cup Winners Cup in 93/94 vs Liege? Unless you include the Algarve Cup in 2008 :lol: Which might I add was a fantastic few days and makes me want us to be back in Europe all the more!

Welcome to the board L4E ;)