Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF CITY + WELSH CUP + EUROPE "

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Cardiff City have been offered a return to compete in the Welsh Cup along with Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr and Colwyn Bay.

If the exiles decide to accept the invite to return it would mean them competing for the first time since 1995.

The winners of the competition would be given a route into Europe, as long as Uefa and the FA agree.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/sgorio/e_/faw200411

Re: CARDIFF CITY + WELSH CUP + EUROPE

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:35 pm

would that then mean we couldn't qualify through the english route (unlikely i know)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 pm

F***ing brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Welsh Cup rules!!

Bangor away!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Accept!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be class. After reading the stories of Liege, it would nice to experiance it myself!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:42 pm

I would rather Cardiff left the FAW and joined the English FA

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Be awesome! But if we are serious about joining the FA, can't see us being allowed to play in the Welsh Cup.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

carlccfc wrote:Cardiff City have been offered a return to compete in the Welsh Cup along with Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr and Colwyn Bay.

If the exiles decide to accept the invite to return it would mean them competing for the first time since 1995.

The winners of the competition would be given a route into Europe, as long as Uefa and the FA agree.

I would say do not accept and ask the FAW for permission to affiliate to the FA. My main reason is that after 16 years of hardly winning a game any winner of the Welsh Cup would have to start playing in June during the qualification round of the Europa League and that would mean our players hardly having a break and that could cost us dearly.

If we are ever to get the chance of playing in Europe again then lets take our chances with the FA at least because of Englands FIFA ranking we would make it straight to the qualifying rounds in July / August.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: I would love that. Still that trip to Standard Liege is fresh in my memory :old: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

castleblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Cardiff City have been offered a return to compete in the Welsh Cup along with Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr and Colwyn Bay.

I would say do not accept and ask the FAW for permission to affiliate to the FA. My main reason is that after 16 years of hardly winning a game any winner of the Welsh Cup would have to start playing in June during the qualification round of the Europa League and that would mean our players hardly having a break and that could cost us dearly.

If we are ever to get the chance of playing in Europe again then lets take our chances with the FA at least because of Englands FIFA ranking we would make it straight to the qualifying rounds in July / August.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

agree i think the faw only offering this as we are close to prem and are worried bout us leaving . I f we do go up im sure i read somewhere that all prem clubs have to be with the FA , so non- starter surely

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:I would rather Cardiff left the FAW and joined the English FA

Hear hear. Sounds ot be the FAW are getting worried. With the possibilty of 2 of their teams getting into the premier. their 2 biggest teams, the their grip on us could wonder.

Let us join the English FA and get to Europe by creditable means. You never know we just might end up in the champions league instead of the UEFA competition that the Welsh cup might and its a big might allow us to play in.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 pm

If it means we can't qualify via the England route i would say thanks but no thanks.
If we want to be a real big club then we need to qualify through the English cups as thats where the money is.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 pm

soon as i saw it i had to post on here after i said ill stop for a bit :lol:

europe?!?!?!! :shock: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Didn't Sam Hammam approach the WFA years ago with a view to resurrecting this same competition???

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Well in that case if we go up we say no thanks, But if we stay down we say Thanks :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: Simples

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I would go back to the FAW and ask them to allocate their Champions League place to the highest finishing club in the English Pryamid system ;) and give their Europa League places to the WPL & Cup winners.

In return we would give up any European places which could be gained from playing in English FA/League competitions.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Ridiculous proposal.

Lose out of potential CL place a long way down the line to play solely in the Europe League?

And what about the Prem League - don't you need to be a FA member to be in it?

Stuff the FAW.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:17 pm

nerd wrote:Ridiculous proposal.

Lose out of potential CL place a long way down the line to play solely in the Europe League?

And what about the Prem League - don't you need to be a FA member to be in it?

Stuff the FAW.

The Welsh FA do have a Champions League place they could entice us with, either by giving it directly to the highest placed English League team or a play-off between them and the winners of the WPL.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 pm

The Premier League is a competition open to clubs from England & Wales exactly the same as the Football League so the matter of player discipline will be exactly the same as it is now.

If the FAW want to invite the exile clubs back perhaps they should consider offering Cardiff, Swansea and any of the other exile clubs the opportunity to enter a reserve team into the Welsh Premier League. That would open up the possibility of the Champions League albiet by the qualifying rounds.

Now that would be interesting :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 pm

could they buy us into it,
I dunnoh highest bidder ?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh my god!!! Im literally bouncing at this piece of news!! ACCEPT!!!
Bring the European glory days! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 pm

when we go up this season, and finish top of the prem, we will be in the champions league, tell them thanks , but no thanks :ayatollah:

Re: " CARDIFF CITY + WELSH CUP + EUROPE "

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 pm

A DREAM COME TRUE IN MY EYES.

Going Away with City in Europe are MY GREATEST MEMORIES of THE PAST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Going Away with City in Europe are MY GREATEST MEMORIES of THE PAST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Absoulutely agree with you Annis, would be one heck of a ride :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We're all going on a European tour :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Accept!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be class. After reading the stories of Liege, it would nice to experiance it myself!

Bankiebluebird has fond memories of said trip!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 pm

CCFCGoingUp wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Absoulutely agree with you Annis, would be one heck of a ride :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We're all going on a European tour :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Europe sounds good to me!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm

PtB wrote:
Billy Hunt. wrote:Accept!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be class. After reading the stories of Liege, it would nice to experiance it myself!

Bankiebluebird has fond memories of said trip!

is he on the videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3k14jOjBA :ayatollah: :ayatollah: we had hundreds locked up in a leisure centre didnt make the match :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 pm

No, no, no, no.

We cannot keep playing both sides against the middle. We put our lot in with the English league. Our route to Europe is via the top 7 of the premiership or the English League and FA Cups.

No way should we then ALSO take an easier route that is not available to our main rivals, it would be a travesty.

We already get a sickening benefit from the weak way in which the FAW treat us with fines and suspensions, let's not make it worse.

Do not trust the FAW, do not let FAW ride on ours and swansea's coat tails.

End of rant.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 pm

I think a rule should be brought in saying that players can only play in the Welsh Cup if they haven't appeared in the Football League. I also don't think we should be allowed to qualify for Europe through it. We should have one or the other but not both. I won't refuse the opportunity to be able to qualify through Europe for both but I think it would be a bit greedy and potentially damage our long term ambitions in the Football League.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Wtf???? Happy days!!!