Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our Best Ever Free Kick Taker?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 am

Apologies if this has been posted before but I was wondering who people thought was / is our best ever free kick taker?

The recent Koumas strike got me thinking that we don't currently seem to have a 'go to man' for our free kicks at goal but it could be Koumas, Bellamy, Chopra or Whitts who all seem pretty decent.

When I first started watching City I remember when ever there was a free kick on the edge of the box, Alan Curtis would line up and a chant of 'ALAN, ALAN CURTIS' would ring around the ground. Apart from a few notable exceptions he would then normally proceed to blaze it over the bar (am I being a bit harsh?)!!

:ayatollah:

Re: Our Best Ever Free Kick Taker?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:15 am

kavanagh was good and andy legg was half decent

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:16 am

In my time of watching city....... Has to be a choice between koumas in his first spell with us or kavanagh.. I think koumas would just edge it.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 am

Valleybluebird wrote:In my time of watching city....... Has to be a choice between koumas in his first spell with us or kavanagh.. I think koumas would just edge it.

Kav for me. The one against Leeds being the pick of the bunch. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Also a couple of lucky ones (last season?) Burke against Borough away, and Mathews against Palace I think?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:22 am

John Buchanan was the original free kick blaster :old:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:24 am

Kavanagh was outstanding but I think Whitts pips him.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:25 am

Allways remember Jimmy Gilligan hitting a cracker. I was only young so not sure how regular he hit them. Ross McCormack hit a few crackers aswell

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 am

Uncle Fester wrote:
Valleybluebird wrote:In my time of watching city....... Has to be a choice between koumas in his first spell with us or kavanagh.. I think koumas would just edge it.

Kav for me. The one against Leeds being the pick of the bunch. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Also a couple of lucky ones (last season?) Burke against Borough away, and Mathews against Palace I think?

Yeah, remember the Leeds one well. Still have that ticket stub on a pin board on my kitchen wall. :ayatollah:

I thought that Kav's were a bit slow and loopy though and generally gave the keeper a chance although normally accurate.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 am

Whitts free kicks last season were immense. They have been pretty decent this season.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 am

I think Whittingham is the best free kick taker we've had if you look at technique, he can hit a sweet shot. The free kick against Leicester in the first leg of the play-off semis was amazing and everyone did not expect it.

I do think Kav should get credit for keeping his nerve. I think he scored some pretty important free kicks when the pressure was on.

If you could have Whitts technique and Kav's nerve rolled into one you'd have a sublime free kick taker.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:12 am

Uncle Fester wrote:

against watford when we won 4-0 :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 am

kavanagh for me, althought whitt's, koumas first spell and mccormack were also great takers

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 am

christ when mccormack got his free kicks on target they were good, he had good power on them :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 am

Kavanagh was the best i've seen.