Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is McNaugthon the best player youve ever seen play for City?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Or is that going a bit too far?

For me, he's best i've seen in my lifetime.

Re: Is McNaugthon the best player youve ever seen play for City?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

He's awesome but Aaron Ramsey is by far the best I've seen but mcnaughton will always be a city legend no matter what!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27 am

No. Great player and always delivers but the greatest for me is Aaron Ramsey.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 am

scott_ccfc wrote:Or is that going a bit too far?

you are confusing best with most consistent,kevin gives nothing but 100%,excellent player,and a legend most definetly :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:21 am

Yes

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 am

Agree with what people said about super Kev's consistancy, the best player ive seen play for City is Dave Bennet in 82-83 :old:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 am

Dave Bennett for me.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 am

For a short while, in the Seventies, it was Ian Gibson.
But that's the point with McNaughton, isn't it, he plays excellently match game after game...and he's done it now for years.
McNaughton for consistent excellence.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:08 am

McNaughton is certainly one of the best and has done it over a number seasons, rather than 20 odd games like Ramsey.

I would also throw Mark Delaney into the mix he was fantastic rampaging up and down the Right Flank in the 98-99 season and who can forget the recent products from our Centre-Back factory, Gabbidon, Collins, Loovens, Johnson with Kienan shortly becoming the next legend.

Going right back though who can deny Brian Clark or Peter King weren't the equivilent of today's superstars?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:13 am

I can only go on what I have seen and, for me, Kevin McNaughton is the most consistent player we have ever had. He's my favourite player for his consistency, work rate and effort but he is also a class act who deserves Premiership football. No idea how a Premiership club hasn't signed him yet but thank God they haven't!

Is he the best though? I would say purely because of his high levels of performance and consistency, yes, he is. Ramsey was probably the most talented but didn't have the chance to prove it over a longer period of time. The only other one who comes close is Earnshaw.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 am

As far as defenders go then Id maybe put Kev up there with Dwyer and Gabbidon for being the best younger players Ive seen play without a doubt but for different reasons coz Dwyer wasnt exactly the skillfull speed merchants that the other 2 are . As for an older defender playing for City in their latter days then Mike England and Kevin Ratcliffe are just 2 class players that come to mind . Also in his day Gary Bennett was another class defender who could attack just as good as his brother plus 1 or 2 would have witnessed Nathan Blake starting his career in defence and being quite usefull too ............. hard to draw comparisons when you consider players like Scott Young , Roger Johnson and Mark Delaney aswell ? :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 pm

krab wrote:
scott_ccfc wrote:Or is that going a bit too far?

you are confusing best with most consistent,kevin gives nothing but 100%,excellent player,and a legend most definetly :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

fair point but im not sure i actually am getting confused with most consistent
i know he's not one of these attacking flare players but i genuinely believe that he has the most ability at what he does over any other player ive seen down City, hence making him the best
of course theres arguments for Earnshaw, Koumas, Johnson, Delaney etc (just over the past few years)
and Ramsey will no doubt go on to be one of the best players in the world, which Kev will obviously never be

but i dunno... i just genuinely would put him as the best ive seen play in a City shirt

he's better than any right back in the premiership at the moment for me (sagna, o'shea, richards, hutton, johnson) etc

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 pm

he's up their with carl dale stevey white, lee badley, nicky richardson.

dai thomas :lol:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:53 am

Eddie! :D haha,

Kev is defiantly the most consistent in the time I've been going (4/5years) :)

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 am

Willie Anderson, oops showing my age

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 am

If your talking value for money then he has to be up there.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:13 am

Gordon Owen for me! :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 am

ccfc_cotta wrote:he's up their with carl dale stevey white, lee badley, nicky richardson.

dai thomas :lol:

You forgot to mention the 90s messi. Nathen wigg

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Iv always been an admirer of Mcnaughton, think he's great and yes potentially the best ever!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:35 pm

he's better than any right back in the premiership at the moment for me (sagna, o'shea, richards, hutton, johnson) etc[/quote]

Im a huge fan of Mcnaughton's and think he is the best defender in the championship but it really does remain to be seen if he is in the same class as those you have mentioned. There is a reason why no premier league teams ever go for him, and why he has never really broken into the Scotland starting X1. I personally think he could hack it in the premier league and lets hope he gets the chance next year because if anyone deserves it it has to be him. He is going down in folklore alongside Phil Dwyer, Jason Perry and Andy Legg!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 pm

easternblue wrote:Iv always been an admirer of Mcnaughton, think he's great and yes potentially the best ever!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:36 pm

love kevin mcnaughton id let him shag my wife if i had one :lol: but earnshaw is my city legend was gutted when he left.