Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Premiership - Too Good To Be True?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 am

Right, I'm not trying to dampen excitement but the more I think about it the more I'm not really seeing the Premiership as the dream land. Yes, it will be nice to play big teams week in, week out, but there are so many factors that make it a bit of a daunting prospect...

- After next season the season ticket prices are bound to sky rocket in order to recoup losses made from this price freeze scheme.

- 75% maybe even less of games won't be at 3pm on a Saturday.

- We will go from being a team near the top to a team battling and scrapping for wins every week.

- The money will become the biggest focus it has ever been which means loyalty decreases.

- Our atmosphere might decrease even more with the presence of more fair weather fans who have turned up to watch rather than get involved.

I don't know, I'm just a pessimist and think even if we do make it won't be as amazing as we all think.

On the plus side, it will hopefully secure our financial future and being a capital city club with such huge potential we will be able to attract better players than most newly promoted sides. So long as Kevin McNaughton remains starting I think we'll be ok. :D

Re: Premiership - Too Good To Be True?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:41 am

The Season Ticket prices won't rocket, for those of us who are Platinum Ambassadors and subject of a 5 year price freeze! :mrgreen: ;) :) :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 am

Where have u come uP with 75% of our games wont be on a sat at 3pm......its only the games sky want to show that are moved, eg) any game involving the big 4 usually

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:11 am

Zabier wrote:Right, I'm not trying to dampen excitement but the more I think about it the more I'm not really seeing the Premiership as the dream land. Yes, it will be nice to play big teams week in, week out, but there are so many factors that make it a bit of a daunting prospect...

- After next season the season ticket prices are bound to sky rocket in order to recoup losses made from this price freeze scheme.

- 75% maybe even less of games won't be at 3pm on a Saturday.

- We will go from being a team near the top to a team battling and scrapping for wins every week.

- The money will become the biggest focus it has ever been which means loyalty decreases.

- Our atmosphere might decrease even more with the presence of more fair weather fans who have turned up to watch rather than get involved.

I don't know, I'm just a pessimist and think even if we do make it won't be as amazing as we all think.

On the plus side, it will hopefully secure our financial future and being a capital city club with such huge potential we will be able to attract better players than most newly promoted sides. So long as Kevin McNaughton remains starting I think we'll be ok. :D

A lot of good points there, but I bet if you asked fans of Burnley, Reading, Portsmouth and Hull who have recently been there and come back to the Championship, if they would like to return to the PL now, I'm sure the answer would be a resounding YES.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:25 am

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:Where have u come uP with 75% of our games wont be on a sat at 3pm......its only the games sky want to show that are moved, eg) any game involving the big 4 usually

If you take into account midweek games, Monday night games, games that are either early kick offs or late kick offs on a Saturday and then every time we play a team in European action which games are likely to be played on a Sunday as well, I think 75% is fairly generous!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 am

honestly id be happy with just a season up there.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 am

I would lke to experience a season in the top flight, Hopefully more than one though. :ayatollah:
Cardiff deserve to be a premiership team.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 pm

I'd like to find out then judge it after. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:30 pm

pro's and cons to everything but this is what every team is in a league for is it not? for us it has to be more about sorting out some debts, altho many of the clubs who go up with few debts seem to come down with more somehow, maybe badly run who knows. Thats the main run for me despite our wealthy backers. how can a club as big as say everton have 40 million debts?
It will be great to have it in your lifetime tho wont it? those of us who ambled down to ninian park on cold and wet november nights v aldershot and bury back in 1990 ish with 3000 others will be pinching ourselves.....

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:42 pm

rb1976 wrote:I'd like to find out then judge it after. :ayatollah:

Spot on.

Cardiff City have battled for the last few decades in lower leagues, fighting to survive and that is the only way many of us can remember our club, Fighting for survival in the premiership seems a more prosperous adventure for me as a fan as many of the good times were usually surrounded in era's of relegation and fighting to live another week, and bringing out the best of the Cardiff fans! Probably some of my brighter days were back in division 3 and 2 when Ninian park was a fortress and the fans were on top of the players.

Now, I wouldnt mind having a bit of that all over again! and to do that in the Premier League would be absolutely brilliant, dont get me wrong, I'd love to be competing up there with the likes of Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool etc etc but as a realist, and with normal levels of expectations, We can all honestly say that we'll be fighting to survive once again next year if we get promotion, Just as QPR will......

Im just purely excited to get our WELSH club up in the mix of the best league in the world, whether we're winning or losing.

Pick and Shovel comes to mind once again! :ayatollah: