Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Cardiff v Portsmouth 16 April "

Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Dave Jones asked for the fans to wear something blue for this game. It is his way of showing that he wants the fans involved. Fair enough I suppose, mentioning the fans once in a while is better than never. However getting the fans behind the team takes a lot more than that. Allowing the fans to be vocal is what is required. Like it or not Cardiff City football club but standing is what gets the crowd vocal. So translating Jones request to wear blue and get behind the team what he really meant was sing your hearts out for the boys. You have never doubted it had you Mr Jones but that is what the fans want to do. I’m just wondering if you had a word with the control room to tell the stewards to leave off. I’m just wondering if the hierarchy are starting to realise having a singing section in a corner is not going to work. Those of us who went to Bramell Lane Tuesday night saw it does not work.

Cardiff welcomed the return of Samuels to the left back position for the only change to the line up that faced Sheffield United Tuesday night. Bywater kept his starting place in goal with McNaughton, Keinan and Quinn making up the defence. Oli and McPhail once again partnered each other in central defence with Burke and Whittingham on the wing. Up front the club captain Bellamy partnered Jay Bothroyd and for the first time this season promotion to the promise land was in our hands.
The game started off in a positive fashion for the home side and they were soon on the attack. From a deep cross from the right wing a Cardiff head flashed the ball across the six yard area of the goal by the family stand.
The next few movements saw all the play in the Cardiff midfield half as the away side tried to create an opening. However, when they lost the ball they were exposed to a breakaway attack. One such loss possession cost them dearly as the pacey Cardiff attack took advantage. Bellamy collected a pass down the right wing and left his marker standing as he made his way to the byline. With time he sent in an inviting cross to the far post that had a few Cardiff backs waiting for it. It was Oli who got there first sending the cross back across the goal of which the Portsmouth keeper could only parry into the net. Cardiff had got the early goal that all of us craved for after five minutes.
From the restart it was the away team that enjoyed most of the possession while Cardiff relied on the high ball to Bothroyd. One such high ball saw Bothroyd being hauled down by a visiting defender. As Bothroyd got up he was confronted by this defender who decided to head butt him coming out rather red. Red being the blood running down his face and the colour of the card he was shown. So with only 18 minutes gone of the game the away team were down to 10 men.
Cardiff took advantage of being one man up when Bellamy this time down the left wing sent another quality cross to the far post only to see a Cardiff head put it wide of what was an open goal.
After this scare for the away side they seemed to gain the momentum of the game with some possession inside the Cardiff half. It looked like the Cardiff was going to let them tire themselves out being the one man down. This period of possession saw only one real attempt on goal when the Cardiff striker target at the Reading service station headed a cross over the bar from six yards. In fairness the away team went for it but were up against it and soon found themselves two down.

Cardiff was awarded a free kick near the corner flag just before half time. Whitts sent in a cross into the six yard area that the Portsmouth defence failed to clear. The ball fell invitingly for McPhail to try a diving header that was cleared of the line. The ball bounced high and eventually after a challenge by a Cardiff and Portsmouth player the ball fell to Bothroyd who swiped the ball in. A bit harsh on the visitors but it was certainly welcomed by the home supporters.

For 20 minutes of the second half was very much like the last 20 minutes of the first. Portsmouth had most of the possession but failed to break down the Cardiff defence. Eventually Cardiff got their way as the Portsmouth tired and started to pass the ball across the field. In the 70th minute Bellamy found himself unmarked down the right wing. As he approached the Portsmouth area he sent a low cross in and the advancing Whittingham was on hand to slide the ball home. A well worked goal that was always going to happen against 10 men, great tactics.

The rest of the game was the Bellamy show with the away team creating a couple of chances themselves. Bellamy seems to be enjoying the extra space the sending off allowed for him. He showed his premier class by skipping pass this marker with ease and one such moved saw Cardiff best chance of increasing the lead as he fired high after leaving another marker for dead.
Portsmouth did come close to scoring when one move ended with a shot into the side net, another harmlessly into Bywaters arms and finally a cross from the right that was met by a Portsmouth head in the 6 yard area that saw the ball go across the area and for a goal kick.

The referee brought the game to an end that saw perhaps the worse away fan behaviour at CCS this season.

Summing up. It was a comfortable win for the Cardiff. The away crowd was the worse behaved I have witnessed this season at CCS while the home side were the best they have been for a long time. With promotion definitely in our hands I think we could be seeing a lot better, providing we don’t bottle it.

Re: " Match report Cardiff v Portsmouth 16 April "

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Cheers Ian, I really enjoyed reading your Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

" ONWARDS and UPWARDS " :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:35 pm

From Facebook

David Dobson
Looking good Annis fingers crossed from me to all Cardiff fans.
6 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 person

Huw Meredith
It's squeaky bum time, except for next round of games Norwich and Reading got a easier run in IMO, hopefully they'l drop some points before QPR on sat which is a must win game for us, as well as the others. It's in our hands now, it's up to us, nobody else to blame if we don't make it. We got to believe and support the boys. Bluebirds!!
2 minutes ago · Like · 1 person

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:41 pm

From Facebook

Annis Abraham Jnr
Cheers Dave.
5 minutes ago · Like

Dave Holloway
after 55yrs as a true bluebird i will still support them if we go up or not, fingers crossed it will be up !!!
7 seconds ago · Unlike · 1 person

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Worst away behaviour?? hmmm maybe we havent heard the last of it!!

http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb ... ?id=343231

Some Pompey fans were disgusted by our slimey stewarding yesterday.
My cousin is a Pompey fan and was there he reckons the stewards were
like jumped up Hitlers. Worst behaved away fans at the CCS??.. he's no
fighter, and abhors violence... but reckons our stewards caused it all.
Appears one pompey fan videoed the stewards acting disgracefully...
Good, I hope they prosecute Cardiff City Football Club and Nash gets
his come-uppance

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Cheers Ian, but were you praising DJ in the first paragraph or ripping into him :D :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Nice one Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ...great read as usual. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 pm

nice one ian great report again :)

Dave Jones asked for the fans to wear something blue for this game

someone should have told annis :o

whoops he did have something blue silly me :lol: