Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE DANGER OF INFLAMMABLE FLAGS

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 am

A lot of people have criticised the Sheffield United Stewards for only allowing flags in the stadium that had an up to date health and safety fire certificate. Personally I commend their actions, I remember the great flag fire of 1946 when the 3ft flag that was waved at a Cwmaman Fc game burst into flames from the strong sunlight.

It almost caused a disaster of huge proportions, the two supporters and one dog present were forced to take evasive action and move 3 feet from this inferno,the resulting ashes filled a small ash tray. It was reported that a flock of sheep in a near by field and a herd of were startled and could have stampeded causing shillings worth of damage.

My concern is whilst these stewards are concerned about certificates for these flags, why stop there, what about combustive clothing, or hats and scarves bursting into flame, my god have you ever seen a pair of trainers on fire, what a sight. And the sooner they produce match programmes on engraved stone slabs to prevent such fires the better for it.

I have genuine concerns that people are being put at danger week in week out, what about all those cars in the car park with petrol in their tanks, can you imagine if they burst into flames, the sooner they insist on electric only cars and coaches at football the better.

We must make football safe, perhaps we should all stay at home and watch it on the telly (as long as it's an approved non inflammable certified model. :x

Re: THE DANGER OF INFLAMMABLE FLAGS

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 am

Its only at the Libya v USA or indeed the Iraq v USA games have I ever seen flags suddenly catch fire :lol:

altho didnt Luton fans burn a Welsh flag at our game a few years ago ??

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:02 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Its only at the Libya v USA or indeed the Iraq v USA games have I ever seen flags suddenly catch fire :lol:

altho didnt Luton fans burn a Welsh flag at our game a few years ago ??

Yes I was there for that one and found it amazing that if you held the corner of a flag over a lighter for a good few second it would catch fire, can you imagine the consequences if peole suddenly realise that they could burn things at football with lighters, f**k me just thing of the consequences. ;)

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am

Gwyn i am glad you have flagged this up :D

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

Health and safety gone mad....all seater stadiums in the Premier league have to be fitted with seat belts in the family section from 2012

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 am

corky wrote:Health and safety gone mad....all seater stadiums in the Premier league have to be fitted with seat belts in the family section from 2012

Please tell me your joking. :o

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 am

Gwyn...come on now lol :lol:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 am

corky wrote:Health and safety gone mad....all seater stadiums in the Premier league have to be fitted with seat belts in the family section from 2012

:lol: :lol: if that happened i would actually cry with laughter...when their team scores i'd love to see their celebration forgetting about the seat belt. :D

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 am

There's not enough common sense regarding these issues!

If they are so concerned with our safety why don't we have a fire extinguisher under each seat???

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 am

Can see this becoming a very hot topic.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 am

PtB wrote:Can see this becoming a very hot topic.

I was "Flagging" a bit before I saw this topic! :) :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 am

No smoke without fire...

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:19 pm

i think this subject should be exstiguished once and for all :D