Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Declan Dalley - why?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Daya brought this lads name up a few weeks ago. Today he has been featured in the Echo. Now, me and Daya would typically argue over anything, bar the odd anomaly.

However, I think we fans need to know why he was released - and if it's a sign of something more problematic within our clubs.

Remember, he seems to have been released, not poached - so the circumstances seem even more murky . So quickly picked up by manchester united would suggest he has apparent potential, if not talent (and yes, I know they have signed youngsters in the past that have amounted to nothing, but the players still ended up being their nothing).

Can anyone shed some light?

Re: Declan Dalley - why?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

I was gonna bring this up yesterday but didn't bother. It just doesn't make sense...what did we not see in him?? Do you think our academy staff are not up to the job?? They cant be if Utd see him as a future superstar!! Strange but true.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 pm

He's gonna be on ITV wales news within the next half hour

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 pm

The prestige of having a homegrown Welsh players in your club cannot be overlooked either.

Too early I know, but what if he becomes a superstar? Or even a good solid pro? We've seen the likes of Bale, Bellamy, Giggs being snapped up by big names at a young age. Even less talented players. It was always looked at with envy that the young gems of this country were taken at a young age.

Now we're just throwing them away!

We seemed to have addressed it when Sam came, with the likes of earnie, james collins, rambo etc.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Does released mean he wasn't offered any contract or just that he didn't accept one and left?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm

I think a comment from the club is needed as to how we can lose a potential star in these circumstances. We should be doing everything possible to hold onto our potential stars if our Club is to have a bright future. Several people have been having a snipe about our youth set up lately. Naively I've believed that we have a very good youth set up.....perhaps we have but this event says that we might not have. Also I noticed that in a recent Wales U21 squad the Jacks had 5 players and we had just one...Adam Matthews!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Prehaps he "knew" united were gonna come in for him so he didn't commit to Cardiff and therefore was released.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 pm

There is such a lack of knowledge and information of this matter that it really is pointless questioning it. Remember, Man Utd have signed some right stinkers in the past e.g. Ramon Calliste!

Just because he's gone to Man Utd it doesn't mean he's shit hot. Maybe his attitude stank or he showed a complete lack of respect to the club? Maybe not. Who knows?

The club isn't obliged to make a statement though otherwise people will demand that every time a player is released.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Zabier wrote:There is such a lack of knowledge and information of this matter that it really is pointless questioning it. Remember, Man Utd have signed some right stinkers in the past e.g. Ramon Calliste!

Just because he's gone to Man Utd it doesn't mean he's shit hot. Maybe his attitude stank or he showed a complete lack of respect to the club? Maybe not. Who knows?

The club isn't obliged to make a statement though otherwise people will demand that every time a player is released.

No....only when we release a player who then signs for one of the biggest clubs in the world !

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 pm

kodak wrote:Prehaps he "knew" united were gonna come in for him so he didn't commit to Cardiff and therefore was released.

Thats incorrect.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Zabier wrote:There is such a lack of knowledge and information of this matter that it really is pointless questioning it. Remember, Man Utd have signed some right stinkers in the past e.g. Ramon Calliste!

Declan Dalley is one of the most respected dedicated young men that you could possibly meet.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 pm

The only people who know exactly what has gone on and the reasons why he has been released are the lad himself, Dave Jones, Neil Ardley and the other Academy coaches. Perhaps the lad himself is not being 100% honest with himself for the real reasons. We don't have any right to know why he has been released. There are probably very good reasons for it.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:The only people who know exactly what has gone on and the reasons why he has been released are the lad himself, Dave Jones, Neil Ardley and the other Academy coaches. Perhaps the lad himself is not being 100% honest with himself for the real reasons. We don't have any right to know why he has been released. There are probably very good reasons for it.

TAPPED UP! :x

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:30 pm

baseboy007 wrote:
Citysince1964 wrote:The only people who know exactly what has gone on and the reasons why he has been released are the lad himself, Dave Jones, Neil Ardley and the other Academy coaches. Perhaps the lad himself is not being 100% honest with himself for the real reasons. We don't have any right to know why he has been released. There are probably very good reasons for it.

Thats incorrect.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm

The lad is always 100% honest with himself.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 pm

So, anyone think any differently after some of the important facts have been established?

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 am

AA board erases the truth!!

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:24 am

Daya wrote:AA board erases the truth!!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:36 am

The storey is now on the BBC football gossip section.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:So, anyone think any differently after some of the important facts have been established?

The only fact that's been established is that the boy is now a part of Manchester United's youth set up (as opposed to some people saying he's "signed for Manchester United" which couldn't be further from the truth).

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 am

Oh how pedantic....

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am

Apparently he was relaeased because he was too small and he attended an open trial where Manchester united picked him up

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 am

he was released, and the Man United scout, a regular at CCS arranged a trial for him. he has been on trial for about a month and played his last trial game on saturday at carrington. Before the game, I was told that he was to be informed about their decision after that game. He has NOT been tapped up. cardiff have been trying to get him back saying they made a mistake....

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 am

Decline in a lovely lad Someone mention on here he was too small He is 6ft 3 As my son is in the academy not surprised he was released we do have better centre backs at the same age level and one age group below
Around 4 of the lads have been approached by Man U and this age group have regularly beaten them through the age groups Declan dad who passed away a few years back was a big united fan and shame he is not here to see it Remember this is just a scholarship Let's hope he progresses and does well
My own son had Man Utd staff come to the house to try and sign him but stayed with city

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:Decline in a lovely lad Someone mention on here he was too small He is 6ft 3 As my son is in the academy not surprised he was released we do have better centre backs at the same age level and one age group below
Around 4 of the lads have been approached by Man U and this age group have regularly beaten them through the age groups Declan dad who passed away a few years back was a big united fan and shame he is not here to see it Remember this is just a scholarship Let's hope he progresses and does well
My own son had Man Utd staff come to the house to try and sign him but stayed with city

As I said there are always very good reasons why any youngster is released by any football club. End of story. Good luck to him. He will have even greater competition at Man Utd.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 pm

i know this is an old post but i seen it thought i would add my info to it.

i was speaking to his mother he got released from Cardiff, he was gutted and loved playing for them, also he was the captain for wales, i played along side him in the welsh cup he is a brilliant defender and can read the game, also quite tall and a leader.

he went for trials for Bristol and Birmingham not sure if he got in and declined the request but he didn't end up with them teams, few months later in the news paper he was signed my by Man united....

Hes an amazing young footballer, i seen him the other day on crouches so that has jolted his career for now but hes training hard to get back.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 am

Man Utf can afford to take on so many youngsters as a gamble. At the time we had to pick and choose. Only time will tell if it was a good or bad call

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 am

Daya wrote:
baseboy007 wrote:

Thats incorrect.

Steve, you 'appear' to know a little more than you are letting on, mate ;)

Have you any 'theories'? ;) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: