The Midfielders/wingers currently at the club are;

Gavin Rae
Peter Wittenham
Stephen Mcphail
Chris Burke
Johnaton Meades
Jason Koumas (on loan from wigan)
Seyi Olofinjana (on loan from hull)
Jay Emmanual Thomas (on loan from arsenal)
Craig Bellamy (on loan from man city)
aaron Wildig (on loan at Hamilton)

Gavin Rae - has hardly featured this season, and almost left the club but wanted to fight for his place. not sure if he is out of contract this season but cant see him staying with the club in the premier league. VERDICT - will leave/be sold in the summer

Peter Wittenham - can go missing in some games, but has premiership quality creativity. will stay, and play if we are promoted. VERDICT - no doubt about this one, will stay, and play.

Stephen Mcphail - must be honest and say im not a big fan of his. think he goes missing in games a lot and slows play down too much. however, i can see him having more of an impact in the prem, with maybe a little more time on the ball as he can obviously pick out a pass. VERDICT - DJ likes him and i think he will probably stay

Chris Burke - dont think he has signed a contract yet. but i imagine that wont be a problem if we are promoted. comes in and out of games quiet a lot, but is and old fashion winger and has the ability to win a game for us which will be crucial in the prem. VERDICT - keep, could play a very important part next season.

Johnaton Meades - Must say i know little about him so cant really make a judgement, ill say keep, as he is a youngster and the club might look to loan him out to get games.

Jason Koumas - Showed last week what he can do, though he hasnt done it all season. 31 years old now and has low fitness, out of contract with wigan at the end of the season, and will be cheap, however the wages wont be and the club have to decide if its worth it. VERDICT - must say im undecided, he hasnt really done it at premiership level and is on a lot of wages. i think we can get better on lower wages.

Seyi Olofinjana - looks limited to me, slow on the ball,with poor passing, however is commanding in the central area, and looks a good player when alongside mcphail, he can win the ball and lay it off. looks better when he doesnt try to do too much VERDICT - 31 years old and never held down a regular place in the prem, also apparently on 28k a week wages, i must admit to having some seriuous reservations about signing him next season.

Jay Emmanuel Thomas - my only concern with him is sometimes he doesnt look bothered. If promotion comes then another loan, to give him regualar matches in the top flight may well be a possibility, i think hes good enough but dont rate him as an out and out striker. VERDICT - depends what Wenger wants to do, but i would be trying to get him on loan again.

Craig Bellamy - Another no brainer. if its possible we HAVE to sign him. wages? transfer fee? is it possible?? VERDICT - the powers that be would be failing the club if they didnt try all they could to sign him.

Aaron Wildig - had looked a good prospect to me, but seems to have lost his way. has dissapeared in scotland. VERDICT - needs to get back to cardiff and, if there are problems, sort them out. personally i think he can be a good player.

SUMMARY;

Wittenham (KEEP)
Mcphail (KEEP)
Burke (KEEP)
Meades (KEEP/LOAN)
JET (SIGN)
Bellamy (SIGN)
Wildig (KEEP)
Seyi (LET GO)
Koumas (LET GO)
Rae (SELL)

this goes to show just how short on midfielders we are this season (excluding loans) the above list seens us with just 5 midfielders, and that depends on getting JET and bellamy back here. we are going to need 2 Central Midfielders if we are promoted. id like to see someone like prately, danny murphy if we could get him, while bullard was class against us this season. looking at the other teams around us, i would take hoolahan from norwich as well.

Re: Premiership Ambitions - Midfielders

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Not sure Bellamy and jet will be realistic signings but I'd love both to stay. I think we need to keep seyi and sign another one like him, made a huge difference in midfield this season but not on form every game so needs competition preferably someone stronger or equal to him. If we lost out on jet and Bellamy we need two more wide players of the stature of routledge/sinclair but not sure either of those are realistic. Would also like a jimmy Bullard. So two olifinjana's, a Bullard and two wide men who can produce quality on a regular basis.

Re: Premiership Ambitions - Midfielders

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

olly seems to divide opinion, personally i think, for the wages he is on, we can get better