Dekil Kenian
Darcy Blake
Gabor Gypyes
Paul Quinn
Adam Matthews
Martin John
J Lloyd Samuel (on loan from Bolton)
Anthony Gerrard (on loan to Hull City)

Kevin Mcnaughton - My only surprise with this guy is why a premier league team hasnt already try to snap him up. maybe is injury record is partly to blame but he seems to have got past that this season. superb at right back, even better at left back (in my opinion) and equally good in the centre. Mcnaughton is one player i would have no worries about next season. VERDICT - and easy one to start with, not just a keep, but one of the first names on the team sheet

Lee Naylor - i wont waste everyones time here, not good enough for the championship so its a no brainer. VERDICT - sell

Mark Hudson - this would have been an interesting question 6 months ago, but few can argue the guy has been superb this season, one of the best players in the club recently. still question marks over him in terms of his pace, and in the premier league he might well get caught out. VERDICT - keep, a quality CB, but is going to need some help alongside him.

Dekel Kenian - Has looked terrific since he came in and helped shore up the defence, cant be a coincidence that we have looked better defensively since he came in. Couldnt get into a poor Blackpool defence this season though, so unsure about his credentials in a higher division. VERDICT - would keep, feel he is good enough, but not as a first choice.

Darcy Blake - had a rather dissapointing season after his heroics the season before. DJ seems reluctant to want to play him in midfield so has been included as a defender. can play anywhere across the back line, like a poor mans mcnaughton. probably not good enough for the step up. VERDICT - now might be the time for Darcy to move on.

Gabor Gypyes - Defensivly, he isnt a terrible player, good in the air and decent when the ball and the play is in front of him. however, has been outpaced by jon stead and gypyes has to be one of the slowest players in the professional game. VERDICT - wont be good enough in the premier league

Paul Quinn - Would have been on his way out only a few months ago, but has come into the side thanks to the terrible form of Naylor, and has performed superbly. Has looked very comfortable on the right over the last 10 or 12 matches. VERDICT - i would have mcnaughton at RB next season, however we need cover and quinn looks up for it, i would keep him

Adam Matthews - Its a shame, but we already know he is leaving us for Celtic

Martin John - Was a risk free signing really, could have paid off but looks like it hasnt. VERDICT - will almost certianly be released

J Lloyd Samuel - has played twice and looked efficiant at LB, dont forget he hasnt started a match for a year so would take some time to get to fitness. Apparently Bolton fans rate him, and he has spend most of his career in the Prem. VERDICT if its true, we have already agreed to sign him next season if we are promoted, think its a good signing.

Antony Gerrard - Went out on loan after a falling out (apparently) had put on a lot of weight and his career here seemed to be over. it still might be, but he has had a great season at Hull, and if he has learned some disipline, then personally i think he is a great defender who gives his all for the cause. VERDICT - fitness issues aside, i would keep him

SUMMARY;
Mcnaughton (KEEP)
Hudson (KEEP)
Keinan (KEEP)
Quinn (KEEP)
Gerrard (KEEP)
Samuel (BUY)
Blake (SELL)
Naylor (SELL)
John (SELL)
Gypyes (SELL)
Mathews (GONE)

this leaves us with, 2 right backs, 1 left back and 3 centre backs. i would be looking to sign maybe two more. a LB and a top Quality CB with proven premiership experiance (maybe hope birmingham get relegated so we can get Johnson back) knowing that DJ is a fan of loovens i wouldnt be surprised if we went in for him again.

Re: Premiership Ambitions - Defenders

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Following on from goalkeeper thread Gyepes and naylor are the two out of 15 I wouldn't be so keen to put in a premiership 25 man squad. I'd give Blake a place next year and John looked good in his one game but would need to see him over a run of games.

Re: Premiership Ambitions - Defenders

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:11 pm

bspark your far more willing to give people chances than me :lol: i can see the point in keeping blake, personally i wouldnt though.