Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Premiership Ambitions - Goalkeepers

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 pm

obviously we are not there yet, but thought i would look at the players currently in the side and see which ones would be suitable for premier league football should we get there. obviously many people might agree/disagree and there is obviously only 1 way to find out if our players are good enough.

the goalkeepers currently at the club are;

David Marshall
Tom Heaton
Jordan Santiago
Jason Brown (on loan from Blackburn)
Stephen Bywater (on loan from derby)

Tom Heaton - Current number 1 at the club and having a good season. perhaps convincing people who were unimpressed the first time he was here. not a keeper most would pick if looking for the top 3 in the division, but a good shot stopper and a decent command of area (despite being relatively small for a keeper). Negitives include his kicking, which although improved is still poor iMO. VERDICT - Will stay with the club but might have to fight for his place if DJ decides to bring in another keeper.

David Marshall - Most certainly number 2 at the club now, certainly doesnt inspire confidence in the fans with his inability to come off his line. injured for the rest of the season, and if cardiff are promoted then we may have seen the last of him. VERDICT - Should be sold to a championship club, where he can still have a good career.

Jordan Santiago - Cant say i know much about him to be perfectly honest, if the club rate him as a future number 1 then would be best to keep, and loan him out to get much needed experiance. VERDICT - keep, but send out on loan to any team who will keep him as their number 1

Jason Brown/Stephen Bywater - will both return to their clubs at the end of the season, unless DJ and the coaching staff have seen enough in one of them to make an offer in the summer. having seen nothing of Brown, and not liking what i see in Bywater, i hope neither of them are with us next season

SUMMARY;
Marshall - SELL
Heaton - KEEP
Santiago - KEEP (LOAN)
Brown - LET GO
Bywater - LET GO

this leaves us with only 1 main sqaud keeper, which means we would need another one. some of the potential names could be
Westwood (Coventry)
Schemichial (leeds)
Given (man city)
Bywater (derby)

Re: Premiership Ambitions - Goalkeepers

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm

I reckon heaton with Marshall as competition would be perfectly good for what we are likely to be trying to achieve if we get to the premiership. Would be nice to have a Westwood or I quite like hennessey (can't spell) but given will go somewhere big if fit, possibly arsenal. Don't think bywater or brown would be kept on but haven't seen Santiago so not sure.

If we go up there will be around 15 pros left in contract and I would give nearly all of them a chance to be in the 25 man squad. They will have got us there in the first place.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 pm

my problem is, the number 2 keeper should be good enough if something happens to the number 1, personally i dont think this is marshall

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Think we should be looking at Lee Camp if Forest fail to go up.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Think we should be looking at Lee Camp if Forest fail to go up.

good shout, camp, westwood, schemeical would be the options unless we are ambitious and could possibly steal shay given :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Westwood
Heaton
Brown

That's what I would like to see if we went up. It's clear Brown is a poor Goalkeeper but for a low wage and as a Third Choice, we could do a lot worse.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Santiago - Get rid

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 pm

If - When we go up and have to go after a keeper,Westwood would be my choice.
This lad will be the Rep Of Irelands Number 1 in the next Year or so.
Always plays well against us,even if we do beat Coventry ;)

Given would be the class choice if fit,but would Man CITY sell him :?:

Camp i agree is the alternative,How many keepers have we used Snice Alexander left :?:

Good question/point if we do go up we will need another keeper :ayatollah: