Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Should DAVE JONES Change A Winning Team ? "

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:51 am

Seems to be a very popular question in the last few days and why not afterall 5 games unbeaten with 3 wins on the trot would suggest the team is building momentum. But Chopra it appears has done a lazarus and is about to return to fitness and Mark Hudson could be back in the next 2 weeks so maybe the question 2 ask is who should be filling the bench in the remaining games.

We currently have 7 loan players at the club but can only use 5 of them in the match day squad, with Olofinjana and Bellamy everyones automatic choices to start and at least one out of Bywater or Brown to be in the squad what about the others?

We are left to perm 2 out of 3 with Jlloyd Samuel, JET and Koumas so who would you choice be?

According to our friends at mediawales losing Chopra in recent weeks has been a blessing in disguise as they accuse DJ of having failed to gel Chopra, Bellamy and Bothroyd into an effective attacking unit. I think thats nonsense and you only have to think of Leeds & Scunthorpe away and Leeds & Norwich at home as examples of where they have destroyed the opposition.

Paul Abbandanato also suggests that it would be a mistake to to put Mark Hudson back in the team when he recovers again I disagree as I think Mark has been outstanding this season and even more importantly is releases MacNaughton to left back. This removes the risk of playing Lee Naylor or of losing an attacking loan player JET or Koumas to allow Jlloyd Samuel to play.

So here is my team for the weekend Heaton or Bywater, Quinn, MacNaughton, Keinan, Naylor, Burke, Olofinjana, MacPhail, Whittingham, Bellamy , Bothroyd. Subs: Heaton / Bywater, Blake, Gypes, Koumas, JET, Chopra, Parkin.

So for me I would lose Brown and Jlloyd Samuel from the squad because I think it is more important to give ourselves every possible attacking option and Koumas and JET do that.

Whatever DJ decides to do I don't envy him having to make these choices but I suppose that's what he gets the big bucks for.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Should DJ Change A Winning Team?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Good post!!

IF everyone is fit at the same time this would be my match day squad-

Heaton
Quinn
McNaughton
Keinan
Hudson(JLS* this weekend)
Olifinjana*
Burke
McPhail
Bothroyd
Bellamy*
Whittingham

Bywater*
Blake
Gypes
JET *(Naylor this weekend)
Koumas*
Chopra
Parkin

*loan players.

I never thought I would pick Mcphail in my 1st XI but, to be fair, he has played in all the recent games and it can't be a coincidence that the normally weakest part of our team(central midfield) has performed better with him in there. I also think Whitts is dangerous in a loose role. The bench has loads of attacking options, in case DJ needs to change anything.

I know many will disagree with parts of this team but I think we'd all agree that it'd be a great position to be in, having this squad to choose from!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 pm

One of the main reasons we lost the play off final last season, along with Jay hobbling off, was that Jones split a promising partnership between Blake and Gerard. Let's hope he's learned lessons from that

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:One of the main reasons we lost the play off final last season, along with Jay hobbling off, was that Jones split a promising partnership between Blake and Gerard. Let's hope he's learned lessons from that

It's a bit different this time though Nottage Blue. I'm not talking about changing it for 1 game, like Wembley last year. Also, we'd all agree Hudson has been a different player this season.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:07 pm

i've got my pick n shovel! wrote:Good post!!

Heaton
Quinn
McNaughton
Keinan
Olifinjana*
Burke
McPhail
Bothroyd
Bellamy*
Whittingham

Bywater*
Blake
Gypes
Koumas*
Chopra
Parkin

*loan players.

I never thought I would pick Mcphail in my 1st XI but, to be fair, he has played in all the recent games and it can't be a coincidence that the normally weakest part of our team(central midfield) has performed better with him in there. I also think Whitts is dangerous in a loose role. The bench has loads of attacking options, in case DJ needs to change anything.

I know many will disagree with parts of this team but I think we'd all agree that it'd be a great position to be in, having this squad to choose from!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree except this weekend I would go with Naylor if Hudson is still unavailable for no other reason other than I think we should have every possible attacking option available for DJ. I know lots of people will worry about Naylor but I think we should all remember he was a regular in the team which took us to the top of the League in October albiet it was only for 1 week.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm

castleblue wrote:
i've got my pick n shovel! wrote:Good post!!

Heaton
Quinn
McNaughton
Keinan
Olifinjana*
Burke
McPhail
Bothroyd
Bellamy*
Whittingham

Bywater*
Blake
Gypes
Koumas*
Chopra
Parkin

*loan players.

I agree except this weekend I would go with Naylor if Hudson is still unavailable for no other reason other than I think we should have every possible attacking option available for DJ. I know lots of people will worry about Naylor but I think we should all remember he was a regular in the team which took us to the top of the League in October albiet it was only for 1 week.

Wow!!!! This MB really is in a positive place at the moment!! Never thought I'd see another post on here in favour of Lee Naylor! :lol:

I know what you're saying Castle blue. It would depend for me on who Pompey have out wide, if they've got much pace then Naylor out for me. I still have sleepless nights thinking about Jimmy Kebe running rings around him for Reading. JLS come on down!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Should DAVE JONES Change A Winning Team ? "

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Interesting post! For me we need our strongest back 4 and that has to include JLS at left back! Huds has been magnificent this season but it's a tough call as to whether he should come straight back in as keinan and mcnaughton have built a good partnership and mcnaughtons pace in that position is key! For mr the western mail is right, we are scoring far more goals without chopra and therefore when he's fit he must surely be on the bench! However, what a player to throw on if we are looking for a goal!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 pm

i've got my pick n shovel! wrote:
Wow!!!! This MB really is in a positive place at the moment!! Never thought I'd see another post on here in favour of Lee Naylor! :lol:

I know what you're saying Castle blue. It would depend for me on who Pompey have out wide, if they've got much pace then Naylor out for me. I still have sleepless nights thinking about Jimmy Kebe running rings around him for Reading. JLS come on down!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I watched the full 90 minutes of the Sheffield Utd game this morning and boy was that a performance or what. When you see the team putting in a performance of such quality, commitment and desire it's difficult to be anything other than positive.

Bellamy was incredible non stop energy, terrific pace and quality and led the team as if his very life depended on it. It looks to me that he is determined to drag this club into the Premier League kicking and screaming if that what it takes and on another day he would have had a hatrick and Sheffield Utd would have been on the end of the hammering they deserved.

Another thing I noticed today is that we have taken maximum points from every visit into South Yorkshire this season, Leeds, Barnsley, Hull, Doncaster, Sheffield Utd and although it's not Yorkshire Scunthorpe is only just across the M18 from Doncaster.

Little wonder we have the most away wins in the League :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:12 pm

i've got my pick n shovel! wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:One of the main reasons we lost the play off final last season, along with Jay hobbling off, was that Jones split a promising partnership between Blake and Gerard. Let's hope he's learned lessons from that

It's a bit different this time though Nottage Blue. I'm not talking about changing it for 1 game, like Wembley last year. Also, we'd all agree Hudson has been a different player this season.

Personally, I don't think you should ever change a winning team unless the player/s you are bringing back are head and shoulders above their team-mates and anyone in the division they're in and I don't think Chopra and Hudson are

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm

It's tough but I would honestly say stick with the team that beat Sheffield United. The only two changes I'd consider making would be JET for McPhail and Blake for Naylor.

Football is a funny old game though and we've all witnessed the way Hudson turned things around. Who is to say Naylor can't do the same? Whoever starts we'll support them but Dave Jones is going to earn his corn in these last 5 games.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Zabier wrote:It's tough but I would honestly say stick with the team that beat Sheffield United. The only two changes I'd consider making would be JET for McPhail and Blake for Naylor.

Football is a funny old game though and we've all witnessed the way Hudson turned things around. Who is to say Naylor can't do the same? Whoever starts we'll support them but Dave Jones is going to earn his corn in these last 5 games.

I think the only change I'd make is Darcy Blake for Naylor

I'll be the first to admit Hudson has head-butted my "you are shit" posts right
in the face :D

But McNaughton is not a 'small' defender, he's 5ft10" and his speed of thought,
fleet of foot and overall tenacity makes up for anything he may lack in the air!

Its unfortunate for MH, who knows, without his injury he may well have forged
as commanding a patrnership with Dekkel Keinan. But right now, the special Ks
are doing the business. So Darcy for Naylor is the only change id make.

BUT... Naylor did nowt wrong on Tuesday, perhaps he's deserved a chance on Saturday!!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Great topic of debate this one
I would do without Naylor regardless of who Pompey play out wide.
Jes

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Normally you wouldn't expect the manager to change a winning team unless he has injuries or suspensions and I hope that is the case here.

Great if we can get Chopra back but I think he needs to wait for his chance from the bench, agree about MacNaughton & Keinan who have been excellent since Mark Hudson has been injured. Portsmouth do have Kitson and he is a good tall target man but he is not as mobile as MacNaughton and Keinan, also Portsmouth are the lowest number of shots on target in the Championship this season with an average of less than 5 per game, (Their away average is less than 3) so we should not fear them. Respect yes fear absolutely not.

I hope DJ plays either Naylor or Blake at LB because we need both JET and Koumas on the bench because of the attacking threat they bring with them.

I think Portsmouth will try and park the bus on Saturday so the more players available who can open them up the better. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Zabier wrote:It's tough but I would honestly say stick with the team that beat Sheffield United. The only two changes I'd consider making would be JET for McPhail and Blake for Naylor.

JET for Mcphail?????? Really? Im not McPhail's biggest fan, he's hot and cold but JET is no way in a million years a centre midfielder. He may have played that position in youth and reserve football but at this moment in time he would be eaten alive in the middle!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 pm

No, keep the team thats on a winning run...

They are all playing well, confidently and like a team, so a few games together will mean the promised land :D

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm

castleblue wrote:Seems to be a very popular question in the last few days and why not afterall 5 games unbeaten with 3 wins on the trot would suggest the team is building momentum. But Chopra it appears has done a lazarus and is about to return to fitness and Mark Hudson could be back in the next 2 weeks so maybe the question 2 ask is who should be filling the bench in the remaining games.

We currently have 7 loan players at the club but can only use 5 of them in the match day squad, with Olofinjana and Bellamy everyones automatic choices to start and at least one out of Bywater or Brown to be in the squad what about the others?

We are left to perm 2 out of 3 with Jlloyd Samuel, JET and Koumas so who would you choice be?

According to our friends at mediawales losing Chopra in recent weeks has been a blessing in disguise as they accuse DJ of having failed to gel Chopra, Bellamy and Bothroyd into an effective attacking unit. I think thats nonsense and you only have to think of Leeds & Scunthorpe away and Leeds & Norwich at home as examples of where they have destroyed the opposition.

Paul Abbandanato also suggests that it would be a mistake to to put Mark Hudson back in the team when he recovers again I disagree as I think Mark has been outstanding this season and even more importantly is releases MacNaughton to left back. This removes the risk of playing Lee Naylor or of losing an attacking loan player JET or Koumas to allow Jlloyd Samuel to play.

So here is my team for the weekend Heaton or Bywater, Quinn, MacNaughton, Keinan, Naylor, Burke, Olofinjana, MacPhail, Whittingham, Bellamy , Bothroyd. Subs: Heaton / Bywater, Blake, Gypes, Koumas, JET, Chopra, Parkin.

So for me I would lose Brown and Jlloyd Samuel from the squad because I think it is more important to give ourselves every possible attacking option and Koumas and JET do that.

Whatever DJ decides to do I don't envy him having to make these choices but I suppose that's what he gets the big bucks for.

hange
i have always said never change a winning team however on this occasion i would bring back Hudson but leave chopra on the bench