Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whittingham v Sheffield Utd

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:14 pm

It was a good solid team performance last night but I thought it was most pleasing to see Whittingham getting 'stuck in' and making some great tackles and challenges. Never really seen this part of his game before last night and hopefully it will continue, if he can mix that commitment with his undoubted technical ability then it will be a great asset in the next few weeks :ayatollah:

Re: Whittingham v Sheffield Utd

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:41 pm

To be honest I like whits BUT! this season all I have seen him do is pass back or across or pump long balls down field that most times dont make it to the player . He pulls out of 50/50 balls time and time again. and if he get the ball the first thing he will do is pass it any where he can , when he has got loads of spcae to make a run.
Be honest when have you seen him make a run with the ball ? even a short run. I think he should be on the bench for a few game till he learns to put in more work than he had done.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:56 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:To be honest I like whits BUT! this season all I have seen him do is pass back or across or pump long balls down field that most times dont make it to the player . He pulls out of 50/50 balls time and time again. and if he get the ball the first thing he will do is pass it any where he can , when he has got loads of spcae to make a run.
Be honest when have you seen him make a run with the ball ? even a short run. I think he should be on the bench for a few game till he learns to put in more work than he had done.

You've seen a different Whittingham to me - or perhaps you're expecting him to be a player that he isn't. The boy is class, nobody can doubt that, and against thugs like Sheffield United he's never going to have the easiest of games.

There's nothing wrong with passing across and you're confusing long balls with cross-field passes. Nobody in our side is as good at doing that as Whitts is.

He's also nowhere near fast enough to make runs, he's not a flying winger. I hate to say this but he's closer to a David Beckham than a Ryan Giggs (of old), you know what I'm saying?

Why interrupt a winning team?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Im not wanting him to make long runs but if you have an open space infront of you and you can gain ground by running into that space it then draws other player to make runs after you and draws the other team players out after you.
Also Im not just talking about the sheff game there are many time in many game he has done it or if you like havent done it.

I have also heard the same as I have thought come from other guys around me, and at half time in the loo.
he is quality But even Beks and giggs make runs with the ball if I remember!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:12 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:Im not wanting him to make long runs but if you have an open space infront of you and you can gain ground by running into that space it then draws other player to make runs after you and draws the other team players out after you.
Also Im not just talking about the sheff game there are many time in many game he has done it or if you like havent done it.

I have also heard the same as I have thought come from other guys around me, and at half time in the loo.

You know you're losing an argument, when you have to justify your point of view, by stating that other guys have mentioned the same, when you've been speaking to them, or overheard them in the Loo! ;) :) :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:Im not wanting him to make long runs but if you have an open space infront of you and you can gain ground by running into that space it then draws other player to make runs after you and draws the other team players out after you.

I'll stick with what I said before, I think you're expecting him to be a player that he just isn't.

Still, joys of the game,I've been disappointed with McPhail of late :?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:35 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:I've been disappointed with McPhail of late :?

No way! :) :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 pm

thats cool with me, you stay with your opinion and l will stay with mine. l wasnt out to change what you thought ,l was just just saaying what l have seen .