Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Any one go to Sheffield Utd on April 27 1971?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 am

SUFC 5 CCFC1. Sheff Utd beat us to second auto promotion place to the old first division that season by three points [only two auto places that season & two points a win] with two games left. A bad night,fourty years ago, etched in the memory's of older bluebirds i'm sure. :( :old:

Re: Any one go to Sheffield Utd on April 27 1971?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 am

I was 7 years old, and i remember crying :oops: when i heard the final score that night, and the following day in school i was absolutely gutted, we had Orient home i think on the Saturday, i didnt bother going,has losing to Sheffield Utd had made it irrelivent to promotion, our last game of that season we lost to Luton 3-0. and finished that year in 3rd place behind Leicester and Sheffield Utd. So lets hope we can go one better 40 years on :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am

blue nile wrote:I was 7 years old, and i remember crying :oops: when i heard the final score that night, and the following day in school i was absolutely gutted, we had Orient home i think on the Saturday, i didnt bother going,has losing to Sheffield Utd had made it irrelivent to promotion, our last game of that season we lost to Luton 3-0. and finished that year in 3rd place behind Leicester and Sheffield Utd. So lets hope we can go one better 40 years on :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The ironic thing was two seasons later [72/73] the rules were changed & the top three teams in division 2 were promoted!

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
blue nile wrote:I was 7 years old, and i remember crying :oops: when i heard the final score that night, and the following day in school i was absolutely gutted, we had Orient home i think on the Saturday, i didnt bother going,has losing to Sheffield Utd had made it irrelivent to promotion, our last game of that season we lost to Luton 3-0. and finished that year in 3rd place behind Leicester and Sheffield Utd. So lets hope we can go one better 40 years on :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The ironic thing was two seasons later [72/73] the rules were changed & the top three teams in division 2 were promoted!

That's right it was,but i don't think we ever came near the top three again in the 70,s :old: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:SUFC 5 CCFC1. Sheff Utd beat us to second auto promotion place to the old first division that season by three points [only two auto places that season & two points a win] with two games left. A bad night,fourty years ago, etched in the memory's of older bluebirds i'm sure. :( :old:

I did and it was desperately disappointing but in reality we were just overrun so no complaints about the result. Couple of future Cardiff players Gil Reece and Dave Powell scored that night which made it worse.

Terrible journey home though seemed to take forever and as can never sleep in a car / bus etc it just added to the disappointment.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: