Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I was asked an interesting question today.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 pm

What is Traditional Welsh music?

Something I'd never really thought about before but do we have such a thing?

The oirish have the didly didly, the english have Morris, the jocks have that god awful bagpipe shite (no offence to our Scottish friends but it does sound like someone blowing bubbles up a cats arse) but what do we have?

The Harp?

My question is pre max boyce, male voice choirs, religous dirge and even The Alarm. The really old days when our ancestors smoked weed, painted themselves blue and sent the roman legions packing. That was our females! :shock:

I suggested Clanad but a cursory check reveals that they appear to be oirish, did they steal our bard when little daipatrick was snatched? The oirish obviously not daipatrick but they did give us St David in return for whatever he did. Daipatrick expelled all snakes from Ireland apparently and sent them with St Dai to Aberdare but I digress.

So whose knicked our music then?

Re: I was asked an interesting question today.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

a welshman singing with a very strong welsh accent?

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:21 pm

i would say welsh choirs, some of the best in britain, so ive been told :roll:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 pm

i know.....the go compare advert :D

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:a welshman singing with a very strong welsh accent?

No BB, I'm not thinking the old era, er whatisname, Riodan from Sennybridge now look you init, far, far older than even The Alarm. A thousand years ago, ney two thousand years ago even before Cardiff City invented football sort of time.

Ivor Emanual singing Men of Harlech in Zulu doesn't count hear as that is reserved for another day. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:

No BB, I'm not thinking the old era, er whatisname, Riodan from Sennybridge now look you init, far, far older than even The Alarm. A thousand years ago, ney two thousand years ago even before Cardiff City invented football sort of time.

Ivor Emanual singing Men of Harlech in Zulu doesn't count hear as that is reserved for another day. :ayatollah:

build a time machine and go back in time and ask the celts (true brits) :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:37 pm

take a look at this and you'll see the quallity music we used to play.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/ ... onal.shtml.
Not quite 68 guns is it.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:58 pm

ninianblue wrote:i would say welsh choirs, some of the best in britain, so ive been told :roll:

Basically came about from immigrant Italian miners and caught on in the communities when there was no telly to distract them. So fairly modern and not Welsh in origin although now synonymous with Wales.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Myfanwy, shepherd of aberdovey, are very good welsh folk songs

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Willy the Wombat wrote:

build a time machine and go back in time and ask the celts (true brits) :ayatollah:

My fecking time machine broke down thanks to AMMB you bastards :x

In your future we captured internet bullshit converting it into a clean fuel to power vast electro magnets that enabled us to visit the past quite successful in shiney saucer shaped objects that tied in with old history. Everything was going fine, CCMB provided enough power for eon's, a stella measurement not a french electricity company, until the AAMB came on stream with all its sensible views on life. The power drain was such that "plastics" could no longer visit their favourite soccer teams, Manchester America, MacDonalds Moscow, Cardiff City, or even Mr Buyright Barcelona! :shock:

This caused some distress amongest the united population of the solar system, particularly on Mrs Thacther Month, a holiday for all, so our top agent was sent back in time to sort it out. Unfortunately, he has turned to the dark side, calls himself Daya, Dayo, or Steve, if you see him make sure he buys the first round then grass him up to the nearest CCMB officer. Your cooperation is appreciated and can make a difference to the first promotion in 2011.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 pm

corndog70 wrote:take a look at this and you'll see the quallity music we used to play.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/ ... onal.shtml.
Not quite 68 guns is it.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ah thanks corndog, always wondered what a cwrth was!

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:
ninianblue wrote:i would say welsh choirs, some of the best in britain, so ive been told :roll:

Basically came about from immigrant Italian miners and caught on in the communities when there was no telly to distract them. So fairly modern and not Welsh in origin although now synonymous with Wales.

Immigrant Italian miners?

Thats a first. Italian and German POW's possibly but miners I think not.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 pm

In the Swansea slums thats traditional Welsh Music :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 am

Nuclearblue wrote:In the Swansea slums thats traditional Welsh Music :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: