Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION " By Dave Jones

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Terry Phillips, Wales On Sunday
Apr 10 2011
DAVE JONES revealed his pre-match dilemma at Doncaster Rovers, saying: “It was Kouie or Jet – and I made the right call.”

The Bluebirds manager could not include both because he can only have five loan players in the matchday squad – and one of those was a goalkeeper.

Captain Craig Bellamy, Seyi Olofinjana and Jlloyd Samuel all started – and that meant it was a choice between Jason Koumas and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

“It was a straight choice – Kouie or Jet,” said Jones. A delighted Koumas said: “I didn’t know that – at least he gave me the nod.”

Koumas scored two late goals, adding to Chris Burke’s opener as Cardiff City extended their unbeaten run to four matches.

Back-to-back wins against Derby County (4-1) and Doncaster Rovers sends Jones’ Bluebirds into Tuesday’s clash with Sheffield United at Bramall Lane full of belief and confidence.

The squad are staying just outside Sheffield for the next few days, returning to South Wales after the game against United.

Jon Parkin missed the match at Doncaster with a slight groin strain.

Jones said: “If we can get Chops (Michael Chopra), Parky (Parkin) and Huds (Mark Hudson) back as soon as possible we will be back to full strength, They are big, big players for us.

Jones was full of praise for two-goal Koumas, saying: “Everybody is really pleased that Kouie has come to the party.

“He has worked so hard to try and get back.

“He has got close but then suffered setbacks with injuries and illness.

“Over the last 10 days he has been absolutely outstanding. He was close to being among the subs against Derby County.

“This time it was a straight choice between Kouie and Jet.”

Cardiff City have scored 12 goals in their last four matches and now face a Sheffield United who are bottom of the Championship following their 2-1 home defeat against Middlesbrough.

“It was a hard earned victory against a decent Doncaster Rovers team,” said Jones.

“At 1-1 we didn’t give up. We kept driving, kept going.

“Was a draw any good to us? Probably not. We had to step it up again and in the end we came out with a deserved win.

“Managers get hammered sometimes when they don’t make substitutions. Today I made the right decision.

“Overall, it was a solid performance from us and our work-rate was typified by the third goal.”

Re: " I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION " By Dave Jones

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:07 pm

I would have gone with Jet myself but Jones got it right this time and now Koumas will deservedly be on the bench tomorrow :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would have gone with Jet myself but Jones got it right this time and now Koumas will deservedly be on the bench tomorrow :ayatollah:

Jones has said that Koumas has been performing very well in training , pity there isnt a reserve team or maybe we may have seen him sooner in the season ??

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I would have gone with Jet myself but Jones got it right this time and now Koumas will deservedly be on the bench tomorrow :ayatollah:

Jones has said that Koumas has been performing very well in training , pity there isnt a reserve team or maybe we may have seen him sooner in the season ??

Martyn, I believe and have Always Believed WE NEED A RESERVE TEAM .

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Yep, whether it was lucky or not, it was the right decision and worked :ayatollah:

Let's hope the backing of Koumas turns out to be a masterstroke for the remainder of the season, Koumas himself seems very bouyant and that couple with his undoubted talent could be a major factor during this run-in :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm

It's crazy he went with Koumas, JET can play on the wing and play up top. Still great call though :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:

Martyn, I believe and have Always Believed WE NEED A RESERVE TEAM .

I agree, but do we have the players to do it justice?

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Martyn, I believe and have Always Believed WE NEED A RESERVE TEAM .[/quote]

I agree, but do we have the players to do it justice?[/quote]

When Chops/Jay/Koumas/Bywater etc etc needed a full hard 90 mins to get back fit and Sharp, I personally believe being in some kind of Reserve league does help.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I wonder if Dave Jones will ever be in print saying "I was wrong!" :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:22 pm

taffyapple wrote:I wonder if Dave Jones will ever be in print saying "I was wrong!" :lol:

Dave Jones did make the right decision and well done to him for that, big pat on the back needed...however, I do feel it is a bit like a comedian explaining his use of the punch line afterwards. :roll: Takes the edge off it.

Maybe he did it because of all the shite he gets but you're right he doesn't say we didn't win because I used Joe Bloggs instead of Peter Murphy.

(Just checked my programmes, my bad, apparently we don't have a Joe Bloggs or Peter Murphy in the squad :? ).

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

I thought this was the title of his new autobiography :shock:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 pm

I have had and still have great doubts about Dave Jones decision making. I will never waver away from my opinion that without the extra good fortune he seems to get at vital moment he would have been out of football management along time ago.

However, the obvious honest answer to the question did he make the right choice between JET & Koumas is 'yes'

That said JET hasn't exactly been pulling up trees recently and I just wonder how much pressure is coming from up above about the amount of cash being paid out on Koumas' wages?

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

DJ cant win can he? Loads slagged off Koumas on here too. Just think If Koumas had ballooned that free kick into row Z. Loads of posters on here would have been creaming their pants Sunday morning being able to slam DJ & JK :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:32 pm

i still say leave bywayer out ,bring santiago in just in case of heaton getting injured and then have koumas and JET on the bench,that would give us far better options if needed,JET has blown hot and cold but hes an impact player and has the talent to change a game especially late on,he gave forest plenty to think about when he came on and should have scored he has the potential to unlock defences for sure