Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Lets all chip in to get a race horse owned by AAMB

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am

:lol: :lol: this would be awesome. call it forum bums! :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 am

lewis91 wrote::lol: :lol: this would be awesome. call it forum bums! :ayatollah:

Still mocking my typo then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 am

I would be 100% if there were enough of us so the costs would be down! Great idea as I love horse racing :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 am

You could call it "Dave Jones" always falling at the last hurdle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:31 am

Nuclearblue wrote:You could call it "Dave Jones" always falling at the last hurdle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am

This one looks Good , memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=136

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:16 pm

we should give it no name

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 pm

a horse with no name wrote:we should give it no name

:lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:16 pm

I would be up for it, but from experience I have had 6 horses and only won one race. It's great craic starting off but things can turn very bitter if it turns out to be a complete nag and they can be very expensive to keep. Your looking at approx £1000 a month stable fees before extras.

The trainers also lie like a cheap watch telling you that you have a star on your hands just to keep the horse in training thus bleeding the owners for £1000 a month. If we were going to do it I would pick a decent trainer as the cheapest trainer is cheap for a very good reason, at the moment you can get very well bred horses for next to nothing.

If you are up for it and need more info let me know via PM as I used to run a syndicate.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Midfield general wrote:Thats fantastic that we now have someone 'in the know'. Lets see what interest we get first before taking the interest further. :ayatollah:

After the donny game we should call it Koumas

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:58 pm

adamt958 wrote:
lewis91 wrote::lol: :lol: this would be awesome. call it forum bums! :ayatollah:

Still mocking my typo then :lol: :lol: :lol:

theres a number of us who will not drop your typo for quite a while :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:16 pm

a horse with no name wrote:we should give it no name

:lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Midfield general wrote:If it was up to me I would like to call it 'Ninian Park' then at least something good may come from knocking the beautiful place down.

not if it gets shot in its first race :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Can we follow tradition ...and get a horse on a season long loan ? :shock:

It will of course be injured when it arrives....

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:49 pm

How about we call it "Plan B" ? seeing as nobody else has one! :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Midfield general wrote:
wdb2721 wrote:I would be up for it, but from experience I have had 6 horses and only won one race. It's great craic starting off but things can turn very bitter if it turns out to be a complete nag and they can be very expensive to keep. Your looking at approx £1000 a month stable fees before extras.

The trainers also lie like a cheap watch telling you that you have a star on your hands just to keep the horse in training thus bleeding the owners for £1000 a month. If we were going to do it I would pick a decent trainer as the cheapest trainer is cheap for a very good reason, at the moment you can get very well bred horses for next to nothing.

If you are up for it and need more info let me know via PM as I used to run a syndicate.

So all in all how much would you be looking a then..?

Just sent you a PM with some more info.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Merlin wrote:How about we call it "Plan B" ? seeing as nobody else has one! :lol:

:lol: ...could have ndungu nsungu aka dave

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm

I'd be well up for it, love a gamble. what sort of figure would we be looking at though? i'm guessing quite a bit coz there doesnt seem to be many others wanting a share of the winnings :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 pm

tripper wrote:I'd be well up for it, love a gamble. what sort of figure would we be looking at though? i'm guessing quite a bit coz there doesnt seem to be many others wanting a share of the winnings :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tripper here's some info I sent Midfield general via PM.

To purchase a horse will depend on the budget from the so called syndicate I'd say 8 to 12 grand would get you a very decent bred horse, but that is only half the battle a lot of well bred horses fail to make the grade. Then on the other hand for example the last syndicate I was invloved in we purchased a horse for 13g's however we were offered a different horse by the same trainer for 6g's which had a lesser pedigree. We chose the better pedigree horse for 13g's. That horse is now either on a shelf in france or sticking airfix together and to make it worse the one we rejected went on to win a €70,000 race (Goffs land rover bumper in Punchestown) I am still sick over it, this horse also ran well at Cheltenham this year. This just go to show that luck plays a huge part.

What you pay for the horse will very much depend on how many members buy in, the biggest rule is to get money up front as chasing people for money especially in the current climate is not nice.

e.g. 50 MB members put in £200 for the purchase you have 10 g's, each member will have an equal share of 1/50 (you will not make monr=ey with that amount of members but if you do end up with a decent horse it will be a lot of fun for all.

Each member then pays 1/50 of the monthly fees the fees will actually depend on the quality of trainer, but an average will be about £1000 therefore each member will pay £20 a month (this is based just on training, feed and being stabled, extra costs will include racing shoes once a month approx £80, vets fees variable but not that frequent if the horse stays healthy, transport to the races the trainer will have a set fee for this depending on the mileage).

Other costs that will need to be covered would be registration of the syndicate approx £70, purchase and registration of the syndicate colours £210 (colours registration is an annual fee, however you can register them for more than one year at additional cost) An account will also have to be set up with the British Horse racing board this is where all the entry fees, jockey fees will be paid from this account will have to be serviced on a regular basis by the syndicate to ensure that there are enough funds in the account to cover any fees (the contribution to this will depend on the amount of members)

Above are the main fees that a syndicate will fork out there will be one or two more but not that steep. The syndicate would need to appoint an agent (usually a member of the syndicate) to deal with the admin, relationship with the trainer and passing on info to teh other syndicate members. Also a treasurer to keep account of the syndicate financial status. You will also need to decide if you want to insure the horse against theft and mortality (but as usual insurance companies have their clauses even if the horse dies, certain causes of death are not always covered.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 pm

wdb2721 wrote:
tripper wrote:I'd be well up for it, love a gamble. what sort of figure would we be looking at though? i'm guessing quite a bit coz there doesnt seem to be many others wanting a share of the winnings :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tripper here's some info I sent Midfield general via PM.

To purchase a horse will depend on the budget from the so called syndicate I'd say 8 to 12 grand would get you a very decent bred horse, but that is only half the battle a lot of well bred horses fail to make the grade. Then on the other hand for example the last syndicate I was invloved in we purchased a horse for 13g's however we were offered a different horse by the same trainer for 6g's which had a lesser pedigree. We chose the better pedigree horse for 13g's. That horse is now either on a shelf in france or sticking airfix together and to make it worse the one we rejected went on to win a €70,000 race (Goffs land rover bumper in Punchestown) I am still sick over it, this horse also ran well at Cheltenham this year. This just go to show that luck plays a huge part.

What you pay for the horse will very much depend on how many members buy in, the biggest rule is to get money up front as chasing people for money especially in the current climate is not nice.

e.g. 50 MB members put in £200 for the purchase you have 10 g's, each member will have an equal share of 1/50 (you will not make monr=ey with that amount of members but if you do end up with a decent horse it will be a lot of fun for all.

Each member then pays 1/50 of the monthly fees the fees will actually depend on the quality of trainer, but an average will be about £1000 therefore each member will pay £20 a month (this is based just on training, feed and being stabled, extra costs will include racing shoes once a month approx £80, vets fees variable but not that frequent if the horse stays healthy, transport to the races the trainer will have a set fee for this depending on the mileage).

Other costs that will need to be covered would be registration of the syndicate approx £70, purchase and registration of the syndicate colours £210 (colours registration is an annual fee, however you can register them for more than one year at additional cost) An account will also have to be set up with the British Horse racing board this is where all the entry fees, jockey fees will be paid from this account will have to be serviced on a regular basis by the syndicate to ensure that there are enough funds in the account to cover any fees (the contribution to this will depend on the amount of members)

Above are the main fees that a syndicate will fork out there will be one or two more but not that steep. The syndicate would need to appoint an agent (usually a member of the syndicate) to deal with the admin, relationship with the trainer and passing on info to teh other syndicate members. Also a treasurer to keep account of the syndicate financial status. You will also need to decide if you want to insure the horse against theft and mortality (but as usual insurance companies have their clauses even if the horse dies, certain causes of death are not always covered.

Great post wdb 2721 - you know your stuff mate :ayatollah:

Just one question...is it cheaper to have a jump hores than a flat one :?:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks TC, to answer your question there is no real difference in cost it's just self preference. A lot of horses these days are bred to perform on both disciplines.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

wdb2721 wrote:Thanks TC, to answer your question there is no real difference in cost it's just self preference. A lot of horses these days are bred to perform on both disciplines.

Thanks wdb2721 :ayatollah: We would need a fair few people to get this started.
Chepstow run races under both codes,so its not as if we would have to go far to watch ;)

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm still up for it, but my max initial fee is £500

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm

tripper wrote:I'm still up for it, but my max initial fee is £500

I'm still up for it too, did midfield general get much of an interest?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 pm

no idea m8, at this rate we'll be forking out 5 grand each :o :ayatollah: :ayatollah: