Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Doncaster v Cardiff City 9th April "

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 am

When was the last time I watch a game of football this season without having to wear my jacket. I don’t think I have so today sunshine was very welcoming.
Ever the keen supporter I arrived at the pre-arranged drinking hole well before the forum bus. Chris_ccfc and I were the only people in the pub as the girls behind the bar showed off their daffodils to us. The butterflies in my stomach were starting to come alive again like they do most Saturdays at this time. Yep Saturday was back and it is what most of us live for.
The forum bus arrived about 40 minutes after our arrival and soon the place was packed out with Cardiff. We retreated to the outside garden with our drinks resulting in myself, Chris, Carl, Claire and Nuclearblue occupying a table. We were later joined by a prominent poster from CCMB called Carolan known to Chris and myself as Matt. We have met Matt a few time now and had some good talks with him. A terrific guy he is and it makes you wonder why there is a difference between AAMB and CCMB. Well actually the reality is that this difference is very small but seems to be exaggerated by very few. Mike Morris board is populated by great characters like Matt, I ask us on AAMB to keep this in mind.
I have to give credit to the South Yorkshire police for organisation. I felt they did a good job today as we all arrived at the ground safely. The Cardiff were in good voice and you just felt the fans where going to get right behind the team from the start. Over 1,200 had made the trip but it felt a lot more as the away section was buzzing. The home fans looked uncomfortable and you could feel they expected their side to have a difficult day. Well it turned out cruel for them in the end.

Heaton retained his place in goal with the defence line up of Samuels, McNaughton, Keinan and Quinn. In midfield Oli partners McPhail with Burke and Whitts on the wings. Up front Bothroyd was to work with the captain Bellamy. The same side that had a comfortable 4-1 win against Derby last week and also against a fairly similar side that is lacking in confidence. Apparently Doncaster had not scored in six hours of football.
The Cardiff fans were housed behind one of the goals that saw Heaton keep for the first half. It was the home side that went close to first scoring. From a well works move down the right side as the Cardiff support looked the hosts created a chance just inside and on the edge of the area. With only Heaton to beat the effort from the Donny attack was low and beat everyone as the ball went across the six yard area and just wide of the left post.

A few moments later Donny had opened up the Cardiff defence again. From another move down the right once again Heaton was facing a one on one situation. This time the shot was on target, a bit tame though, but Heaton managed to get down and palm the ball away for a corner.

Then from Cardiff first attack they took the lead. On the 15th minute Bothroyd picked up the ball outside the Donny area and dribbled his way in. With a couple of Donny defenders being enticed to him he back heeled the ball to Burke who was just inside the area but with some space. Burke sent a low shot towards the goal that went under the body of the Donny keeper and into the net.

Credit to Donny, after that setback they took the game to Cardiff. They were the dominant force in midfield and started moving the ball around nicely. They seemed to be winning everything in that department but could not produce the cutting edge finish up front. Cardiff in the meantime relied on the breakaway which were few and far between.
The next real chance actually did fall to Cardiff and it was from breakaway. As Donny tried to break down the Cardiff defence they were caught napping when a long pass from the area half found Bellamy free down the left wing. He sent one of his customary low passes across the penalty area that eluded everyone.
Doncaster best chance came from a mistake by Samuels. As the home side once again moved the ball around the midfield looking for a breakthrough the Cardiff defence looked comfortable. Then Samuels under a bit of pressure gave the ball away. When it looked like the Donny player who took advantage of this mishap only had Heaton to beat was soon closed down by Keinan. This caused the Donny attacked to do a snap shot on goal but still caused a diving save from Heaton who pushed the ball out for a corner.

For the rest of the half Donny controlled the game from midfield but besides one or two half chances did not trouble the Cardiff goal. The half ended with Cardiff holding onto their lead.

The second half started with Cardiff being the more attack minded side. However they never looked like endangering the home side goal and soon after Donny started to take control again. The hard working Donny midfield failed to create any serious attack as they were hounded by the ever busy Cardiff captain Bellamy. Due to his work rate most of the Donny work resulted in the ball being passed back to their keeper. Bellamy was on his way to our man of the match award.

However it was only a question of time before the hosts managed to get some efforts on target. As most of the game was played in the Cardiff half they were restricted to long efforts that did not trouble Heaton. Then from a move down the right Heaton was forced to make a low save to his left from an 18 yard effort. In return from this Donny pressure Whitts reacted to a Cardiff move down the left and he forced a great save from the Donny keeper.
Then with 12 minutes to go Donny got their deserved goal. From a move down the left the ball was passed across the width of the field to an awaiting Donny striker just outside the area. He sent a low shot towards Heaton’s right. The keeper managed to get his fingers to it bit could not prevent it going in.
Donny was now the side on the ascendency. The reverted to ariel threats that saw one of their effort go over the bar. Cardiff struggled to counter act this and with six minutes to go DJ substituted Samuel for Naylor. Then he made an even stranger substitution by taking off Burke and bringing on Koumas. All but one of the visiting fans just could not believe what they were seeing, the exception being the prophet Chris_ccfc who mentioned something about taking free kicks.
Cardiff actually weathered the last 5 minutes quite well and started to pump the ball up field. One such pump in the final minute of proper time resulted in Jay being brought down 25 yards out. The away support sated singing Jason Koumas more in hope than anything. Koumas stood around the ball with Bellamy and Whitts. He then took a short run up, curled the ball over the Donny wall and into the right hand side of the goal giving the home keeper no chance.
The away supporters went wild and so did the Cardiff players in front of them. Koumas held his hands high right in front of us as if to say now what do you think. All is forgiven Jason. McPhail matched him with his empathic dance celebrating right across the whole away stand. They were unbelievable scenes of which we could do with more of.
In fairness to Donny they went for an equaliser and nearly got one when from a free kick just outside the Cardiff area the ball was floated to the far post and was met by a home head that sent the ball against the post. It would have not counted as a foul was committed but it got the away supported whistling for the final whistle.

As Donny pressured forward in the last seconds they were exposed at the back. From a clearance it was two against two. Bellamy and Koumas found themselves just outside the Donny area against 2 of the home side defenders. They basically toyed with them as Bellamy set up Koumas who had worked himself into space. Koumas shot took a slight deflection but that did not worry the away contingent as the ball ended up in the home net again.
Soon after the restart the referee brought the game to an end and the 3 points were on their way back home.

Summing up it was a great last 5 minutes and one that we will all remember, especially Koumas first goal. A great win but a lucky one if truth be told. With all the bad luck we have had we were due some. Perhaps, just perhaps that is the luck we needed.

Re: " Match report Doncaster v Cardiff City 9th April "

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:57 am

Bakedalasker wrote:When was the last time I watch a game of football this season without having to wear my jacket. I don’t think I have so today sunshine was very welcoming.
Ever the keen supporter I arrived at the pre-arranged drinking hole well before the forum bus. Chris_ccfc and I were the only people in the pub as the girls behind the bar showed off their daffodils to us. The butterflies in my stomach were starting to come alive again like they do most Saturdays at this time. Yep Saturday was back and it is what most of us live for.
The forum bus arrived about 40 minutes after our arrival and soon the place was packed out with Cardiff. We retreated to the outside garden with our drinks resulting in myself, Chris, Carl, Claire and Nuclearblue occupying a table. We were later joined by a prominent poster from CCMB called Carolan known to Chris and myself as Matt. We have met Matt a few time now and had some good talks with him. A terrific guy he is and it makes you wonder why there is a difference between AAMB and CCMB. Well actually the reality is that this difference is very small but seems to be exaggerated by very few. Mike Morris board is populated by great characters like Matt, I ask us on AAMB to keep this in mind.
I have to give credit to the South Yorkshire police for organisation. I felt they did a good job today as we all arrived at the ground safely. The Cardiff were in good voice and you just felt the fans where going to get right behind the team from the start. Over 1,200 had made the trip but it felt a lot more as the away section was buzzing. The home fans looked uncomfortable and you could feel they expected their side to have a difficult day. Well it turned out cruel for them in the end.

Heaton retained his place in goal with the defence line up of Samuels, McNaughton, Keinan and Quinn. In midfield Oli partners McPhail with Burke and Whitts on the wings. Up front Bothroyd was to work with the captain Bellamy. The same side that had a comfortable 4-1 win against Derby last week and also against a fairly similar side that is lacking in confidence. Apparently Doncaster had not scored in six hours of football.
The Cardiff fans were housed behind one of the goals that saw Heaton keep for the first half. It was the home side that went close to first scoring. From a well works move down the right side as the Cardiff support looked the hosts created a chance just inside and on the edge of the area. With only Heaton to beat the effort from the Donny attack was low and beat everyone as the ball went across the six yard area and just wide of the left post.

A few moments later Donny had opened up the Cardiff defence again. From another move down the right once again Heaton was facing a one on one situation. This time the shot was on target, a bit tame though, but Heaton managed to get down and palm the ball away for a corner.

Then from Cardiff first attack they took the lead. On the 15th minute Bothroyd picked up the ball outside the Donny area and dribbled his way in. With a couple of Donny defenders being enticed to him he back heeled the ball to Burke who was just inside the area but with some space. Burke sent a low shot towards the goal that went under the body of the Donny keeper and into the net.

Credit to Donny, after that setback they took the game to Cardiff. They were the dominant force in midfield and started moving the ball around nicely. They seemed to be winning everything in that department but could not produce the cutting edge finish up front. Cardiff in the meantime relied on the breakaway which were few and far between.
The next real chance actually did fall to Cardiff and it was from breakaway. As Donny tried to break down the Cardiff defence they were caught napping when a long pass from the area half found Bellamy free down the left wing. He sent one of his customary low passes across the penalty area that eluded everyone.
Doncaster best chance came from a mistake by Samuels. As the home side once again moved the ball around the midfield looking for a breakthrough the Cardiff defence looked comfortable. Then Samuels under a bit of pressure gave the ball away. When it looked like the Donny player who took advantage of this mishap only had Heaton to beat was soon closed down by Keinan. This caused the Donny attacked to do a snap shot on goal but still caused a diving save from Heaton who pushed the ball out for a corner.

For the rest of the half Donny controlled the game from midfield but besides one or two half chances did not trouble the Cardiff goal. The half ended with Cardiff holding onto their lead.

The second half started with Cardiff being the more attack minded side. However they never looked like endangering the home side goal and soon after Donny started to take control again. The hard working Donny midfield failed to create any serious attack as they were hounded by the ever busy Cardiff captain Bellamy. Due to his work rate most of the Donny work resulted in the ball being passed back to their keeper. Bellamy was on his way to our man of the match award.

However it was only a question of time before the hosts managed to get some efforts on target. As most of the game was played in the Cardiff half they were restricted to long efforts that did not trouble Heaton. Then from a move down the right Heaton was forced to make a low save to his left from an 18 yard effort. In return from this Donny pressure Whitts reacted to a Cardiff move down the left and he forced a great save from the Donny keeper.
Then with 12 minutes to go Donny got their deserved goal. From a move down the left the ball was passed across the width of the field to an awaiting Donny striker just outside the area. He sent a low shot towards Heaton’s right. The keeper managed to get his fingers to it bit could not prevent it going in.
Donny was now the side on the ascendency. The reverted to ariel threats that saw one of their effort go over the bar. Cardiff struggled to counter act this and with six minutes to go DJ substituted Samuel for Naylor. Then he made an even stranger substitution by taking off Burke and bringing on Koumas. All but one of the visiting fans just could not believe what they were seeing, the exception being the prophet Chris_ccfc who mentioned something about taking free kicks.
Cardiff actually weathered the last 5 minutes quite well and started to pump the ball up field. One such pump in the final minute of proper time resulted in Jay being brought down 25 yards out. The away support sated singing Jason Koumas more in hope than anything. Koumas stood around the ball with Bellamy and Whitts. He then took a short run up, curled the ball over the Donny wall and into the right hand side of the goal giving the home keeper no chance.
The away supporters went wild and so did the Cardiff players in front of them. Koumas held his hands high right in front of us as if to say now what do you think. All is forgiven Jason. McPhail matched him with his empathic dance celebrating right across the whole away stand. They were unbelievable scenes of which we could do with more of.
In fairness to Donny they went for an equaliser and nearly got one when from a free kick just outside the Cardiff area the ball was floated to the far post and was met by a home head that sent the ball against the post. It would have not counted as a foul was committed but it got the away supported whistling for the final whistle.

As Donny pressured forward in the last seconds they were exposed at the back. From a clearance it was two against two. Bellamy and Koumas found themselves just outside the Donny area against 2 of the home side defenders. They basically toyed with them as Bellamy set up Koumas who had worked himself into space. Koumas shot took a slight deflection but that did not worry the away contingent as the ball ended up in the home net again.
Soon after the restart the referee brought the game to an end and the 3 points were on their way back home.

Summing up it was a great last 5 minutes and one that we will all remember, especially Koumas first goal. A great win but a lucky one if truth be told. With all the bad luck we have had we were due some. Perhaps, just perhaps that is the luck we needed.

Great Update Ian, Looks like you All had a good day, But may I remind you yes they have some good posters, But the also have 10 times as many arseholes ON THEIR MB, AS THIS FORUM MAY HAVE,and those that do snipe are from theirs any way and come over here to stir up trouble. WE dont have to delete 24/7 Snipes about their Members and their Forum every day actually Its very rare WE ewven mention them, If you had not mentioned them, I would not have to be writing this.
But I suppose I should feel Honoured,as its through Jealousy etc, as like My Mother use to say when they are not talking about you then worry. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:18 am

FANtastic report as usual, thank you mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:36 am

Great report Ian and thanks for your company yesterday :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:When was the last time I watch a game of football this season without having to wear my jacket. I don’t think I have so today sunshine was very welcoming.

Great Update Ian, Looks like you All had a good day, But may I remind you yes they have some good posters, But the also have 10 times as many arseholes ON THEIR MB, AS THIS FORUM MAY HAVE,and those that do snipe are from theirs any way and come over here to stir up trouble. WE dont have to delete 24/7 Snipes about their Members and their Forum every day actually Its very rare WE ewven mention them, If you had not mentioned them, I would not have to be writing this.
But I suppose I should feel Honoured,as its through Jealousy etc, as like My Mother use to say when they are not talking about you then worry. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

its quite ironic that you are having a snipe at them having snipes which means i am sniping at you for sniping at them for sniping haha.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Good report Ian and thanks for the weekend. Really enjoyed yesterday, thought we were lucky to win but we took our chances and got the much needed 3 points. Great to chat and meet more people in the Salutation before the game, we have a great set of people on this forum who attend away games.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the report Ian and for the reserved table at the Salutation :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:06 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:Good report Ian and thanks for the weekend. Really enjoyed yesterday, thought we were lucky to win but we took our chances and got the much needed 3 points. Great to chat and meet more people in the Salutation before the game, we have a great set of people on this forum who attend away games.

Nice to meet up again mate, but i cant help thinking how many lasses came back to the bakedasker household and if so why wasn't i invited :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i can say please if you want :D

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
chris_ccfc wrote:Good report Ian and thanks for the weekend. Really enjoyed yesterday, thought we were lucky to win but we took our chances and got the much needed 3 points. Great to chat and meet more people in the Salutation before the game, we have a great set of people on this forum who attend away games.

Nice to meet up again mate, but i cant help thinking how many lasses came back to the bakedasker household and if so why wasn't i invited :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i can say please if you want :D

Wasn't that sort of weekend mate, I have plans for next weekend though ;)

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 am

chris_ccfc wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Wasn't that sort of weekend mate, I have plans for next weekend though ;)

Slag Slut Tart Whore Studly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Slag Slut Tart Whore Studly :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Got to make the most of it while you can ;)

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 am

chris_ccfc wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Slag Slut Tart Whore Studly :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Got to make the most of it while you can ;)

Chris you are spot on mate. When you get to my age it ...........................oh you will find out. :lol: Now go and get that STI Chief and enjoy it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 pm

STI :shock: I will pass on that :lol:

I still can't get over how tall your lad is for his age, bit quieter this time compared to the Forest trip :lol:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Cheers Ian, we know look forward to the Sheffield united match report :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:21 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:STI :shock: I will pass on that :lol:

I still can't get over how tall your lad is for his age, bit quieter this time compared to the Forest trip :lol:

No Jager bombs for him this time :lol: his mates Smithy and Uncle Fester were not on that trip Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: