Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: The Sand Martin

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:01 am

What chain are they?

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:06 am

Rigtht. Dont think we have one of them up here in Derby area. However quite a few of these places seem to be appearing and everyone I have been to have been aweful regarding the food they serve. Nice and clean places but the food is what you describe "microwave". Although these places are cheap I'm starting to return back to the traditional independant places where althought the prices are a bit higher it is worth the expense.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:07 am

Midfield general wrote:Ok we are thankfull for their Fred Keenor donation but I went there yesterday and the food was f*cking shit. I dont really expect much from chain like that because alot of the food is microwaved but this was 100% microwaved and it wasn't as cheap as their competitors either. Also the person serving me couldn't pull a pint properly and that was my first and last time in that place.

Also there is a fairground in the carpark and I was wondering if the club will receive any money from that..?

Yes agree that it's great that they have contributed to the Fred Keenor fund.

I also had a simular experience as you when visiting The Sand Martin on Friday early evening, thought id take the kids for a drink and an icecream, but found the staff unhelpful. I wanted to sit in the front Garden, Staff member dumped me at a table with a high chair for the baby and disappeared, Not realising it was NOT waiter service waited for 10 mins and then had to leave the table and make my order at the bar.

I guess as this is a family pub and there are more staff than customers ( must add some staff were standing around doing F**K all) you expect better customer service. I feel the same don't think i will return anytime soon.

Although think i might visit the funfair, for Cardiff City fans they are doing a 2 for 1 offer, latest newsletter email had a voucher, also £1 entry i think. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 am

Midfield general wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Rigtht. Dont think we have one of them up here in Derby area. However quite a few of these places seem to be appearing and everyone I have been to have been aweful regarding the food they serve. Nice and clean places but the food is what you describe "microwave". Although these places are cheap I'm starting to return back to the traditional independant places where althought the prices are a bit higher it is worth the expense.

I used to work part time in a similar place and it is all microwaved. They get delivered in a plastic bag, you put it in the microwave and then serve. No cheffing needed so a Kitchen Porter on minimum wage can do the food which saves the company on wages too.

I can imagine.

Quite frightening really and just thinking how they operates puts you off your appetite. Nope, give me the traditional place I say let them return and give them another go. A bit like welcoming butter back after it was oblivorised by margarine.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 am

I've been to the Dragonfly in Merthyr which is also a Marston's and the food their was shit as well. Not to mention ridiculously over-priced. I think someone forgot to tell them there's a financial situation going on right now!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 am

Yeah mate, totally agree. The Westgate does some quality food. It's a bit more pricey than most but the quality of the food is much better and so are the portions. :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 am

Seeing as just about everyone reads this board here is a note to the Sand Martin, change your name to 'the Fred Keenor Pub' give £500 to the young guns project and we will start giving your food better reviews ;)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 am

Marstons opened a pub/restaurant in Barry a few weks ago, The Cherry orchard, in the old Collage inn. Went there last week, food was nothing special but the beer was ok.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:40 pm

they have also got the Cathedral Hotel in Pontcanna and Eli Jenkins down the Bay, these two pubs are much cheaper than the Sandmartin.

Sat May 07, 2011 2:13 pm

They have already cut the staff, been told all the permenant jobs been given to management friends and family !!!! .