Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Would Better Marketing Sell More Season Tickets? "

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Maybe due to false information on a forum they decided to post the figures?

The club can't lie about season ticket sales.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Hatters wrote:Maybe due to false information on a forum they decided to post the figures?

They lie about attendances.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:52 pm

castleblue wrote:Interesting we get another update statement from the club whilst there is a debate taken place on this messageboard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes indeed.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Hatters wrote:Maybe due to false information on a forum they decided to post the figures?

I dont think lie is the word, they just count season ticket sales in the attendance. I believe the club have done that for many many years though.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
castleblue wrote:Interesting we get another update statement from the club whilst there is a debate taken place on this messageboard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes indeed.

YES VERY VERY INTERESTING :lol: :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Now if I recall right when we got to the play off final last season we sold nearly 3,000 STs that week. Therefore we sold 14,000 STs before the season ended. So the club is saying we have now sold more tickets this time of year than last. Very impressive.

Now I know some people have not renewed therefore making these figures even more impressive. How do I know this? Well when I tried to renew I wanted to move from the Ninian to family stand. I could not do this as the family stand was fully booked. I had to wait until the 1st April to see if any seats became available. Well they did and I will be watching in the family stand with my daughters next season.

However there is the counter argument that those seats I have taken the previous owners have moved into another part of the stadium. Well that could be true but I find this difficult to believe witnessing how many seats were empty in the family stand for each game.

Ummm.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 pm

It is good news that we have sold almost 16,000 ST for next season but IMO it makes little difference to the fundamental question I have asked in this thread - Would Better Marketing Sell More Season Tickets?

Annis told me this morning that he had sent this thread to Gethin Jenkins and Julian Jenkins and hey presto we have a club statement on the number of tickets sold. However we are constantly being told that the club are looking to improve ALL areas of the business and whilst these are impressive sales totals they are not the best in the Championship. You need look no further than Norwich City for that and then look at how they have managed to sell 22,000 ST for next season.

Benchmarking yourself against other clubs would be good business practice and I would like to believe that our club would look at whats happened at Norwich and ask the question - How Do We Achieve Those Levels Of Advanced ST Sales?

We are currently 6th best supported club in the Championship but with our average attendance there would only be 3 clubs below us in the PL (Blackpool, Bolton & Wigan). I know many will say but if we get to the PL we will sell out every game and that may well be the case but if we are not winning maybe attendances will drop off except for the glamour fixtures.

We need to be building for the future and not just the next season and part of that process should be achieving home sell outs in all fixtures, the higher the ST sales the more likely to hit that target. This would build the justification to extend the stadium and the process would start again until the stadium has home sellouts.

Effective Marketing is fundamental to achieving that target and we will only hit the target when we are number 1 club for advanced ST sales for the division. I feel we are some way from being where we need to be and I bet anyone that next week I will get an email telling me the ST sales are about to close, thats simply not effective marketing as I renewed my ST weeks ago.

The clubs statement about sales proves one thing to me and that is Carl is so right about this messageboard being watched by club reps.

Thats why this is the number 1 messageboard for ALL things regarding the club we support. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Castleblue a very good post indeed. And i was interested in what Doncaster was doing having a raffle and having any team member delivering it by hand which had me thinking what would it be like if we had that here.
If we had Jay Bothroyd delivering it would be quite funny watching him trip on his arse coming up the Garden Path.
Michael Rahjid Chopra staggering up your garden Path
Craig Bellamy laying out the Postman that got in his way
The Beast breaking down your door instead of knocking on it.
Tom Heaton dropping the season ticket all the time
Dave Jones muttering to himself "The people who live here should take a reality check if they think i am going to give it to them personally, they should remember where they came from"
Chris Burke silky moves dodging the Cat the dog before f*cking up the final movement of getting it in the letter box.
Mark Hudson delivering it 6 Days late
Darcey Blake smashing your front window to give your ST to you.
Gabor Gypes delivering it to your Neighbour
Jason Koumas having to deliver it with his teeth as his arms are immobilized with straps
Adam Mathews would be looking for your address in Glasgow.
Super Kev "you would let in to shag your Wife" whilst he is there.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:26 pm

What type of marketing do you suggest? They have already put up a number of billboards around, posters on bus stops and buses. Emails and letters gone out and its put up on the website every now and then....I believe they even had people phoning up previous season tickets holders to ask them to renew. To me this is a massive massive improvement on anything ever seen at Cardiff previously.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Castleblue a very good post indeed. And i was interested in what Doncaster was doing having a raffle and having any team member delivering it by hand which had me thinking what would it be like if we had that here.
If we had Jay Bothroyd delivering it would be quite funny watching him trip on his arse coming up the Garden Path.
Michael Rahjid Chopra staggering up your garden Path
Craig Bellamy laying out the Postman that got in his way
The Beast breaking down your door instead of knocking on it.
Tom Heaton dropping the season ticket all the time
Dave Jones muttering to himself "The people who live here should take a reality check if they think i am going to give it to them personally, they should remember where they came from"
Chris Burke silky moves dodging the Cat the dog before f*cking up the final movement of getting it in the letter box.
Mark Hudson delivering it 6 Days late
Darcey Blake smashing your front window to give your ST to you.
Gabor Gypes delivering it to your Neighbour
Jason Koumas having to deliver it with his teeth as his arms are immobilized with straps
Adam Mathews would be looking for your address in Glasgow.
Super Kev "you would let in to shag your Wife" whilst he is there.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Brilliant Nukes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:36 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I dont think lie is the word, they just count season ticket sales in the attendance. I believe the club have done that for many many years though.

Correct but oddly at Ninian Park we used to think there were MORE there than the official attendance :D

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41471 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:40 pm

castleblue wrote:It is good news that we have sold almost 16,000 ST for next season but IMO it makes little difference to the fundamental question I have asked in this thread - Would Better Marketing Sell More Season Tickets?

Annis told me this morning that he had sent this thread to Gethin Jenkins and Julian Jenkins and hey presto we have a club statement on the number of tickets sold. However we are constantly being told that the club are looking to improve ALL areas of the business and whilst these are impressive sales totals they are not the best in the Championship. You need look no further than Norwich City for that and then look at how they have managed to sell 22,000 ST for next season.

Benchmarking yourself against other clubs would be good business practice and I would like to believe that our club would look at whats happened at Norwich and ask the question - How Do We Achieve Those Levels Of Advanced ST Sales?

We are currently 6th best supported club in the Championship but with our average attendance there would only be 3 clubs below us in the PL (Blackpool, Bolton & Wigan). I know many will say but if we get to the PL we will sell out every game and that may well be the case but if we are not winning maybe attendances will drop off except for the glamour fixtures.

We need to be building for the future and not just the next season and part of that process should be achieving home sell outs in all fixtures, the higher the ST sales the more likely to hit that target. This would build the justification to extend the stadium and the process would start again until the stadium has home sellouts.

Effective Marketing is fundamental to achieving that target and we will only hit the target when we are number 1 club for advanced ST sales for the division. I feel we are some way from being where we need to be and I bet anyone that next week I will get an email telling me the ST sales are about to close, thats simply not effective marketing as I renewed my ST weeks ago.

The clubs statement about sales proves one thing to me and that is Carl is so right about this messageboard being watched by club reps.

Thats why this is the number 1 messageboard for ALL things regarding the club we support. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41471 :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:What type of marketing do you suggest? They have already put up a number of billboards around, posters on bus stops and buses. Emails and letters gone out and its put up on the website every now and then....I believe they even had people phoning up previous season tickets holders to ask them to renew. To me this is a massive massive improvement on anything ever seen at Cardiff previously.

The question I have asked is "Would Better Marketing Sell More Season Tickets" and I thought in asking that question I had recognised the fact that there is a Marketing Campaign in Existance. The I'll Be There Campaign is a further extension of this season theme and I'm not saying it's a bad thing just asking if it could be better. So to answer your question about what I would do differently well I would try a more personal approach i.e.

Any email to an existing ST Holder or Ambassador would start with a Dear Gary which would refer to me or Dear 2blue2handle, I would also mention how much the club has appreciated my support in the past and how important my continued support is.

Lots of mention about the positive things about supporting the club, FA Cup Final appearance, Play Off Final appearance etc.

Certainly include reference to any benefits i.e. discounts in club shop etc and first call on away tickets, also offer as many payment options as possible and make sure they are at least equal to other offers amongst Championship clubs.

I would make absolutely sure to remove all reference to renew by this date or your seat could be sold to someone else or renew by this date our you won't be able to buy a season ticket it's just to negative.

I would also ensure there is an offer of a 5-10% discount for any NEW ST and open up an area such as the corner section of the Canton Stand to house the new ambassadors.

The thing is the I'll Be There Campaign is directed purely at existing ST holders and IMO thats poor marketing as the club should be setting itself a target for new ST holders each season. If you think about it any new ST holder has had a maximum of 18 days to sort things out it could and should be better.

If the club doesn't have a email contact for fans they should send a letter and it should be personal and as above and most important of all when a fan has renewed stop sending reminder email it's just lazy. Instead send a thank you email or letter with a message from TG, GJ or even DJ these little things would mean a lot in my opinion.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Castleblue
THIS MORNING 07.48 am I SENT EMAILS

Then they announced Record Sales :lol: :lol:

Date: 8 April 2011 07:48:48 GMT+01:00
To: gethin jenkins <gethin.jenkins@cardiffcityfc.co.uk>
Subject: Fwd: I think this is very interesting.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 8 April 2011 07:48:26 GMT+01:00
To: Julian Jenkins <julian@cardiffcityfc.co.uk>
Subject: I think this is very interesting.

Morning Julian/Gethin

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41433

Regards Annis Jnr

Date: 8 April 2011 07:48:26 GMT+01:00
To: Julian Jenkins <julian@cardiffcityfc.co.uk>
Subject: I think this is very interesting.

Morning Julian/Gethin

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41433

Regards Annis Jnr

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

They lie about attendances

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
2blue2handle wrote: I dont think lie is the word, they just count season ticket sales in the attendance. I believe the club have done that for many many years though.

Correct but oddly at Ninian Park we used to think there were MORE there than the official attendance :D

Yes I know Luke.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

castleblue wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:I agree fully with this post....

One confusion, though....what did you mean by "constantly being told I'm one of the "People In This Part Of The World" ??

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Dave Jones basically he appears incapable of giving an interview without putting the boot in about "People In This Part Of The World"

Just gets on my nerves :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ah, ok. All cleared up. Cheers....and true!! LOL :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: