Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BSC EASTMOORS ANYONE HERE WORKED THERE

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:44 am

I still to this day miss that place, it was like a workplace for the insane. Full of great characters and the most loyal work mates a man could have asked for, I worked in the rolling mill where every shift was a pleasure to work and not a shift go by without a incident of some sort. Crazy people that would scream over the tannoy for relief because they had shat themselves at their stations, overhead crane drivers that would piss on the billets as you were stamping them and one particular foreman who was punchdrunk who would pace & rant as he would be calling himself on the tannoy and never a reply, so many great stories and many sad ones too and many tragedies within the plant but everyone would pull together as one, its still one of the saddest days of my life when they shut the plant down. I honestly think Cardiff had never really recovered from it's closure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BSC EASTMOORS ANYONE HERE WORKED THERE

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 pm

My grand fathers worked there, as did my father, for a short period of time in the early 60's. Definitely was part of the fabric & culture of Cardiff life & society. Just like the pit closures up the valleys, there was nothing to replace them, & a whole way of life was extinguished for ever. Some one who worked for Brains beer once told me that up untill the closure of Eastmoors, Brains Dark was was the most popular pint in Cardiff!

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Your right nothing has or can replace it,not sure about the dark but wouldnt be atall surprised if true. We could finish a nightshift and pop into the old Fleur De Lys pub they seemed to be open 24/7 back then and coming to think of it Dark was always more popular.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:34 pm

My dad worked at east moors. I remember after visiting my Nan in Adamsdown as a treat he would drive us back home through the steel works! (We were easily entertained as kids). It was a mad place, all the noise and smell and its hard to imagine that sort of heavy industry ever existed in Cardiff. I also remember going to a Children's Christmas Party once in the one of the canteens. My dad has always said the same as you about the city never recovering after the closure and its amazing how quickly people have forgotten it ever existed.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 pm

My grandad was a shunter driver over there, think he enjoyed his working time there but was stitched up with redundancy which left him bitter

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Grandfather worked there all his life, (as did his dad) he was up in the offices though I think. And my dad worked for them
All his life too, and was based in newport. He was sales! He would never let me get involved, as he knew it was dying... But it did them Both good for years... My cousin quit port Talbot the other week, the last of our family, and the history goes way back.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 am

My father was a gantry crane driver there for thirty odd years.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:28 am

I started as a Stripper Attendant, then moved up to Stripper Bay OHC driver, Some of the guys I worked with have passed on now, but remember these guys in particular, George Sweeney, Joe Chick, Ken Baynham, George McCarthy, Arthur Bennett, Kenny Faulkner, Ray Williams, Freddie Slip, Keith Perry all mostly stripper crane drivers apart from Freddie Slip who was a loco driver. Can remember it like it was yesterday, a part of Cardiff's history that will be remembered forever.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:04 am

My wifes uncle worked there Dave Hurton sadly he passed away 3 years ago

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:52 am

My old man Bobby Williams, worked there for many years...In his words a special place to work with speacial people...

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:23 am

90210 Blues wrote:My old man Bobby Williams, worked there for many years...In his words a special place to work with speacial people...

Bobby's speaks of wise words mate, it truly was special and the likes Cardiff will never see again.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:I started as a Stripper Attendant, then moved up to Stripper Bay OHC driver, Some of the guys I worked with have passed on now, but remember these guys in particular, George Sweeney, Joe Chick, Ken Baynham, George McCarthy, Arthur Bennett, Kenny Faulkner, Ray Williams, Freddie Slip, Keith Perry all mostly stripper crane drivers apart from Freddie Slip who was a loco driver. Can remember it like it was yesterday, a part of Cardiff's history that will be remembered forever.

Our OHC driver Peter Sutcliffe (not the ripper) use to piss on the hot bed while we were stamping them, I flipped this one day after being sprayed in the face with piss and threw the stamp block at him but it hit the overhead cables and sparks were flying everywhere & Sutcliffe was jumping about in his cab, I had burnt myself & sent to medical bay. My shop steward Johnney Regan came in with security and told me I had killed Sutcliffe and I had to wait here until the Police came, I absolutely shit myself because they were so convincing and the nurse being in on it too, I was distraught until I seen Sutcliffe walking pass the window with Reagan giving me the 2 fingers. Bastards lol

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:47 pm

My Dad, Dave Gibbs, worked there for many years, most people knew him as he worked in Payroll! He loved the place and I always remember picking him up after work. He ended up going to work at Alphasteel in Newport but hated the place. Eastmoors in his words were the best working days of his life!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:21 pm

my late dad worked there in the late 60s/70s was one of the first to be made redundant only got £3000 year later majority were made redundant getting around £28,000 he was well shit on :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:23 pm

richard, sorry to ask, how old are you?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:27 pm

48 m8

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:37 pm

My old man did plus both my Grandads, my dad retired just before it went down the pan, I used to go down there to see him.

:ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 pm

ok heres my story, my father-in law, since passed away 3 years ago, was from somerset, and he worked over there, known as somerset wire, they relocated to cardiff, and joined ,gkn, but he was brought over here, to train the workers over in cardiff how to use the machinery, he was offered a full time position over here, that came with a brand new council house, in llandudno rd, he accepted the offer, and worked there untill his retirement, also his son, ivor hughes,worked there and still works there,my father in laws name was billy hughes

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 pm

one half of my family came down from Middlesborogh as roll turners in the 1930's. they all lived in Fairwater. :ayatollah:

Loads of ccfc worked there

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Both my grandfathers worked there 30-40 years, my great-grandfather died here in an accident, trapped cleaning the blast furnace.

My dad worked in Llanwern.

Awesome place,

Glad I'm in plastics though :lol:

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Mentiones a few of the names on here and my old man new some. Dad is Keith Williams, and grandfather Sydney.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:56 pm

I'll ask them mate :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Still have my grandads gold watch 50 years service award its inscribed 1910 to 1959 from working there. My dad had over 30 years service his brother also, many of my family worked there most of them since it was started .(the family moved from Merthyr when it was built) As for myself i had 24 years in G.K.N. Three generations of us worked in the steel industry from 1910 to 1999. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Coke Ovens 69/70 :old:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 am

my late dad worked the coke ovens late 60s/70s his name was Bevil Rudd

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:43 pm

bluebirdrob wrote:Still have my grandads gold watch 50 years service award its inscribed 1910 to 1959 from working there. My dad had over 30 years service his brother also, many of my family worked there most of them since it was started .(the family moved from Merthyr when it was built) As for myself i had 24 years in G.K.N. Three generations of us worked in the steel industry from 1910 to 1999. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I've still got my father's gold watch which he had when he retired after 35 years service, he finished off at Castle Works. I remember taking him down the Bay a good few years after he retired and he he couldn't believe how it had changed, we went to a couple of his old haunts for a beer, The Packet and The Ship & Pilot, great pubs in the old days. :ayatollah: