Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: VALE UPDATE!

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 pm

BlueView wrote:
birdy wrote:Gwynn used to be my old sports teacher at Llanedeyrn!

Mine to back in the 70's

Mine too, late 70's, early 80's, feeling really old now. Had Gwynn and Bob Dyer, who was the Wales B rugby captain. Was never quite sure who was in charge? Played for both the football and rugby sides but you hardly ever got a game of football as was the case with most schools in those days

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Cheers mate..................that makes me feel far better knowing that our players aint slacking,and reading that hopefully they will be up to the coming task.....great news on Chops!! :)

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks for that - a good read.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

As an update, late yesterday afternoon I met up with Gwynn and the kids at the club shop, prior to them playing a Cardiff City development team at Leckwith. There must be about 19 of them on the trip and all of them bought replica shirts as well as training tops and other memorabilia! I mentioned in a thread on Monday that I wish the club shop had at least one mirror as I have been down there countless times and there never seems to be one. As if by mircale, there was one there yesterday so it goes to show the club does listen and take action, even on such a minor point as this.

Further credit must go to the club as Gwynn went to reception unannounced and asked if someone would be able to give the kids a quick tour of the stadium. This isnt something that they usually do but within minutes someone came down to show the kids around! It was great to see the club really do everything that they could and the kids were thrilled.

After the tour they played a development team and I have to say that the standard from that team was very high. Some of the kids looked very sharp and it goes to show that there is plenty of talent in this area. One kid in particular looked unplayable and everything he did was top notch.

All in all a huge success on the PR front from Cardiff City. None of this was pre-arranged, it was all day on the hoof, and it goes to show that whilst there may still be problems that fundamentally we are a friendly club, run by decent people, who are all trying their hardest to get us to where we want to be. Well done Cardiff City, I'm proud to be a supporter :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

A damn good read jimbo!Maybe the club is heading in the right direction now :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 am

cecilccfc wrote:Superb update, get up there myself a bit, not suprised to hear about Rae works his socks off in training.

yeah, he was really slogging his guts out. Personally, he's not my favourite player, and with his contract ending in the summer, and him not featuring regularly, he could be forgiven for going through the motions but he was one of the first out and last to go in! Great commitment and an example to all!!!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 am

RichardBluebird wrote:Very refreshing, thank you Jimbo. I have to be honest when I took my g/son to watch them train early in the season DJ was very good to him and happily have his photo taken with him and to the point he asked the rest of the squad on their way back to the clubhouse to stop and sign g/sons book. Dont believe all you read and hear about DJ

I'm not a DJ fan, and have really hammered him at times this season, but he was great yesterday, very friendly and approachable. I may take issue with his tactics and selection but i will try my best to never make it personal as he came across as a good bloke yesterday who is trying his best.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 am

chris_ccfc wrote:Lucky bugger for living in San Diego, went there two years ago and loved it, returning in late August too. Know any good pubs that might show a City match there if we make it to the Premiership?

I dont unfortunately, I spent most of my time in the Laguna Beach area but it is a cracking city and with Fox and ESPN having rights to the premier league now I found that there were more live matches on tv over there than there are over here so you shouldnt have a problem! When I was in Los Angeles they were even showing highlights of the Cardiff v Celtic pre-season friendly!!!!!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:55 pm

This is an excellent update and exactly the sort of injection of positivity we've all needed over the last couple of weeks.

I reckon it should be a sticky, right at the top of the first page as a constant reminder that the players and the club remain positive and we should all be positive too. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Great update these kids nearly cleared out the club shop and sure it won't be long before we have a San Deigo fan base Jimbo told me a great story of when he was out there the other coach with him was a Swansea fan So at the end of the day the kids had a City v Swansea match but not sure who won the most games
Had some great clips of the games and the celebrations and yes also included the swim away as well but great to see the kids knowing about city ratherbthan Man U

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:Great update these kids nearly cleared out the club shop and sure it won't be long before we have a San Deigo fan base Jimbo told me a great story of when he was out there the other coach with him was a Swansea fan So at the end of the day the kids had a City v Swansea match but not sure who won the most games
Had some great clips of the games and the celebrations and yes also included the swim away as well but great to see the kids knowing about city ratherbthan Man U

ha ha im happy to report that City won the Las Vegas Welsh derby and the Swansea coach was so infuriated when they were losing that he launched himself into a 10 year old kid on the Cardiff side. His mood wasnt improved when I told all of my Cardiff team to taunt him all week by doing the ayatollah and singing " Whats that coming over the hill, its Michael Chopra, it's Michael Chopra!!!!" One day ill get the pics of the game up on here as all the parents watched with their faces painted with either a bluebird or a swan and they made loads of banners with the clubs crest on them which lined the field!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Great post - thanks a lot!

In recent weeks ive noticed how all the players keep mentioning how intense and sharp it has been in training last 2 weeks.

Be interesting to see our results from now on, and whether it has made a difference. Im not saying our lads were lazy earlier in the season, but looks like the fear of the play - offs has taken them on to that next level that perhaps lesser teams on paper have been on for some time.

We may now, just have the edge.

Heres to hoping its enough to get 2nd spot :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 pm

That was a nice read.

Lovely to hear of people at our club being respectful and accomodating.

Off the field the club is moving forward week after week.

Lets pray we can finish the job ON IT !

:ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Quality post butt...gives a timely reminder of everything we have to be proud of our great club at the moment and genuine optimism for both the short & long term future - Luvz it!

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBIRDS!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:32 pm

I've read it again,its actually an excellent report :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Ha ha thanks Annis! I've been honest all season and if there was anything I didn't like or someone wasn't pulling their weight I would have said it but everyone looked focussed and sharp and no one could have asked for anymore! The more I think about it the more I realise just how lucky we are to have Craig Bellamy, his influence in training, and then his exemplary behavior with the kids cannot be understated! To hear him talk so passionately and sensibly about the club was tremendous! Craig loves his football and when his career is over I definetely think we need to have him at the club In some capacity, perhaps even running our academy as he would really inspire and motivate our youngsters!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 am

CCFCBULL wrote:Great post - thanks a lot!

In recent weeks ive noticed how all the players keep mentioning how intense and sharp it has been in training last 2 weeks.

Be interesting to see our results from now on, and whether it has made a difference. Im not saying our lads were lazy earlier in the season, but looks like the fear of the play - offs has taken them on to that next level that perhaps lesser teams on paper have been on for some time.

We may now, just have the edge.

Heres to hoping its enough to get 2nd spot :ayatollah:

Bull, just to pick up on where you mentioned fear of the playoffs - I think it's the opposite tbh, determination not to go back there, and I'm sure I won't be the only one to say the lads played without fear against Derby on Saturday. Sure, it was only Derby, but then we've "only" got Donny and Sheffield Utd the next two.

Win these two and the Pompey game will be rocking :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am

ive not posted on here in a while, tbh all the negativity was just depressing the life out of me.

this though was a fantastic read. made me feel good reading it and the first thread ive read from the first post to the last in ages.

this is exactly the type of stuff we should be writing and reading with the time of the season we are at. you can tell by the replies the effect a bit of real positivity has.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Cardiff Daft! wrote:ive not posted on here in a while, tbh all the negativity was just depressing the life out of me.

this though was a fantastic read. made me feel good reading it and the first thread ive read from the first post to the last in ages.

this is exactly the type of stuff we should be writing and reading with the time of the season we are at. you can tell by the replies the effect a bit of real positivity has.

I agree 100%
Good positive news.

Re: " VALE UPDATE! "

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks once again Jimbo, Look forward to your next Vale Update. 4,000 Views :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " VALE UPDATE! "

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 am

Im keeping my boy home from school on Monday and take him down there , he is only 4 but always on about Bellers. :ayatollah: