Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Our Away Support "

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 am

vince.alm wrote:Not having a go but considering what is at stake I'm quite shocked at the lack of interest for the next 2 away fixtures! Arguably our most important 2 away matches of the season I thought we may have sold a lot more than we have to date. Doncaster 850 and Sheffield United 270. A few seasons ago I said if ever Cardiff got themselves in such a great position we would sell out our away allocation, but I must admit I was wrong. The supporters who travel away have been great all season and I know the supporters who are going to the next 2 away fixtures will support the team 100%, but for those waiting just for the Burnley game (thats all people are interested in) it maybe all over by then for the worst? THE TEAM NEED YOUR SUPPORT NOW. Yes times are tough but our home average is over 20,000 we can do better than we are at the moment.

Vince, in the 80's and even 90's if we were doing well and the home crowds were say 10,000, We would take at least 2,000 to a place like Doncaster.
But I have to say the price of watching football Nowadays is Outrageous, But a lot of the fans who would go week in week out have stopped going.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 am

Vince, in the 80's and even 90's if we were doing well and the home crowds were say 10,000, We would take at least 2,000 to a place like Doncaster.
But I have to say the price of watching football Nowadays is Outrageous, But a lot of the fans who would go week in week out have stopped going.[/quote]

I have to agree there, In the 90's it was affordable to go home & away because football was not the overpriced product it is today. In 1992-93 living in London I did 44 league & cup games I wasn't on that great a wage but I could afford it. A season ticket back then was £80.

Football is supposed to be the working mans game, try telling that to a bloke who earns £250 p/w has mortgage, bills to pay & a family to support. Your hand is forced and fans that used to go week in week out have been priced out of the game. Ticket prices in 1990- 1991 was £3.50 to stand on the Bob Bank , Programme £1, In 2000 it was £10 to sit on the Bob & £2 for a programme. In this period the cost of living has doubled but the man on the street has not seen his wages double in that period.

I can no longer afford to go Away every weekend and I have to pick & choose my games. This Saturday I'll be watching Merthyr clinch the title @ home to Gillingham Town. £6 to get in & £1 a programme It's like going back to the 90's but it's how football should be

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 am

Actually it makes me wonder how some people manage to do all home games and virtually all away games, if the majority have average incomes and average outgoings it's a hell of a lot of money to find week in week out, unless some of the younger ones live with parents and pay little in the way of housekeeping to their parents etc. I'm a bus driver and earn around £20,000 a year with a bit of overtime but couldn't possibly go to all these away games, sometimes there's 2 in a week ffs. Mortgages, rent, food, household bills such as council tax etc, fuel or bus fare to get to work, kids (uniforms, school trips, clothes and shoes as they grow etc), christmas and birthdays, car insurance and tax etc, the list goes on. It 's even more astonishing if some of the regular away following are unemployed, how the f**k do they do it???. What does the average away day cost us?? ticket, coach fare, the obligatory booze and a pie, possibly a programme, don't think there's much change from £ 80/£90 and there's more often than not 2 away's per month, then you've got the cost of a season ticket to fathom in to the overall cost of watching home games or pay on the day for people who can't make it every week, plus once again the obligatory drink in Canton, pie or burger and maybe a programme and possibly a visit to the club shop.

Sorry Vince my money doesn't stretch that far, if I were to ignore a few of my urgent bills occasionally then maybe I could see a few more away's , but I have responsibilities at home and they come first

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:Actually it makes me wonder how some people manage to do all home games and virtually all away games, if the majority have average incomes and average outgoings it's a hell of a lot of money to find week in week out, unless some of the younger ones live with parents and pay little in the way of housekeeping to their parents etc. I'm a bus driver and earn around £20,000 a year with a bit of overtime but couldn't possibly go to all these away games, sometimes there's 2 in a week ffs. Mortgages, rent, food, household bills such as council tax etc, fuel or bus fare to get to work, kids (uniforms, school trips, clothes and shoes as they grow etc), christmas and birthdays, car insurance and tax etc, the list goes on. It 's even more astonishing if some of the regular away following are unemployed, how the f**k do they do it???. What does the average away day cost us?? ticket, coach fare, the obligatory booze and a pie, possibly a programme, don't think there's much change from £ 80/£90 and there's more often than not 2 away's per month, then you've got the cost of a season ticket to fathom in to the overall cost of watching home games or pay on the day for people who can't make it every week, plus once again the obligatory drink in Canton, pie or burger and maybe a programme and possibly a visit to the club shop.

Sorry Vince my money doesn't stretch that far, if I were to ignore a few of my urgent bills occasionally then maybe I could see a few more away's , but I have responsibilities at home and they come first

great post :ayatollah:
this year money is vert tight for me, so i looked to pick an away game about every 6 weeks. but that hasnt hapened as i cant resist :lol: but if i want to afford burnley, play off semi and final i ave to tell myself that i cant afford to go to sheff utd. but i know i will give in and go to shef unted anyway :cry:

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 am

Ill Be at them all now except boro at home. But as the poster above said I'm only 19 live with parents and my only real outgoings are keeping my car running and legal and a gym membership which I don't use. So I can afford to go everyweek. But I know and understand that people have other priorities and it must be hard to go to games due to the price. :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 am

There a few reasons one is times are hard and also the price of going to a match costs a fortune. Also yes we are averaging over 20.000 but a lot of them are plastic types who are not interested in going away in there Liverpool tops.
Also i am finding apart from Stoke away that our atmosphere away is getting worse and worse, Forest and Palace was desperately poor.And much more of that and i will start getting disillusioned away as well as at home. Football aint a laugh no more :cry: :cry:

Re: Away support

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:09 am

BigGwynram wrote:also to make it more interesting we'll be sharing the road for a fair way with QPR who are at Scunthorpe, wonder how many they'l take.

1,300 sold for Scunthorpe before last nights win so I expect the remaining 200 tickets to go in the next 2-3 days.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 am

Nuclearblue wrote:There a few reasons one is times are hard and also the price of going to a match costs a fortune. Also yes we are averaging over 20.000 but a lot of them are plastic types who are not interested in going away in there Liverpool tops.
Also i am finding apart from Stoke away that our atmosphere away is getting worse and worse, Forest and Palace was desperately poor.And much more of that and i will start getting disillusioned away as well as at home. Football aint a laugh no more :cry: :cry:

disagree with you there nukes. palace was a laugh!! :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 am

lewis91 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:There a few reasons one is times are hard and also the price of going to a match costs a fortune. Also yes we are averaging over 20.000 but a lot of them are plastic types who are not interested in going away in there Liverpool tops.

Yes Lewis it was, but it was a dozen around us that made any noise. For the other 1000 i didn't know they were there. f*cking Billy and his rent Boys made more noise than them if it was only grunting from the rent boys and the sound of Billy's zip going up and down :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
lewis91 wrote:

Yes Lewis it was, but it was a dozen around us that made any noise. For the other 1000 i didn't know they were there. f*cking Billy and his rent Boys made more noise than them if it was only grunting from the rent boys and the sound of Billy's zip going up and down :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: in all seriousness i have to agree. there were a handful of us who really tried to get things going, was pretty dissapointing in fairness. billy and his rent boys spurred some of us fans on. well definately you anyway. BILLLYYYY.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am

Two reasons i think Vince and they are actually linked.

1. Is money everyone is having to tighten their belts as the cost of fuel and food keeps rising and so away trips have to be sacrificed :(

2. More and more fans believe we are going to end up in the Play Offs again which could mean 2 extra away trips with one possibly being to Wembley which is a rather expensive day out :o

Great credit to all those going and as Gwyn said there will be thousands who can't make it who will be glued to the radio or watching the updates on Sky Sports etc :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am

Me and little Chief (Harry) are going to Doncaster :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Going to Donny saturday,but still costing £55 for a train and that's from north wales.Including £25 for a ticket for the game,an expensive day out!Where do british rail get their prices from!! :evil:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am

Think you maybe missing the point here! We have 20,000 plus supporters who are eligible to attend away matches over 50% of those have done at least one away game this season, Its not about attending every away game its about everyone of those eligible doing one away match with would double our away attendance. I know the other clubs around us are taking more away than us Leeds, Norwich etc although i believe Swansea May not be but are not to far behind us. Those other clubs are in a similar geographical position to Cardiff, and money is tight for those regions also, it would be interesting to see where we stand in the table for average away support this season considering we have spent a long time at the top? As I say not having a go I know money is tight but if you can attend any of the next 2 away fixtures it would be great, every game is important none more than these 2; If we can win both I believe with the other teams playing each other over the next 2 games it could propel us back into the box seat.

They will not be for the faint hearted mind

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 am

i said above i wouldnt begoing to sheff utd due to money. but i have given in :D :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:58 am

Vince, take the money side out of it for a moment.
Little clubs like the jacks are overachieving compared to us, so their fans are pleased with their players and management.
Teams like Forest and Leeds have won European trophies within living memory and so have a huge well of support with rosy memories.
Most of the others near the top have been in the premiership etc etc.
We on the other hand have to bang on about 1927 or losing to Real Madrid, whilst being told by our manager that we are doing well considering we were relegation candidates before the season started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For decades our capital city has had to play teams like Torquay, fail to deliver once they got a decent side ( Wembley ) or lose 6 nil and miss play offs on goal difference. I could go on.
Despite this we are asked to be excited about trying to catch Norwich ( 1st season in this league ) when we should be at the very least, challenging QPR for the title.
Jesus Christ would struggle to keep the faith if he was a Bluebird!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:51 pm

going to be worst next season in the premiership when we've paying £40+ for the ticket alone...... :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41354 :ayatollah:

Re: Away support

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:17 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:A major factor is that a lot of people have just renewed their season tickets for next season, and in my situation, the next two matches are a no go for me.

same here just renewed and my oldest lad getting married in july next to away games a no go for me as well