Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match Report Cardiff C v Derby C 02 April "

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 am

Personally I felt there was an air of tension around CCS for this game. From the moment I walked into the Ninian pub, to taking my daughters to the family fun fair to right up to kick off of which I was late for. That was the second start I had missed all season, the first one being Leeds away and we knew why that was. Yesterdays late appearance was that my eldest twin wanted to have another go on the trampoline. So besides the tension I got to my seat slightly annoyed. Strange that is was the most talked about person this week that released that tension and put our auto ambitions back on track.
There has been a lot of talk aimed at Jay Bothroyd in the 48 hours prior to this game. With the announcement of an explosive update tonight, Sunday, people have put two and two together and convinced themselves it is about Jays personal life. Well guys, two and two does not make five. However it does seem to have attracted new users to the forum so welcome aboard guys and to the owners of this place, very clever.

Cardiff fielded a new debutant in Jason Lloyd Samuel known as JLS. He made up a backline of McNaughton, Keinan and Quinn with Heaton returning to the posts. McPhail partnered Oli in central midfield with Whittingham and Burke making up the wings. Upfront was the unusual partnership of Bellamy and Bothroyd. This was a strong lineout against a weak and out of form Derby team yet the tension was still there.

Derby attacked the goal at the family stand and started the more lively. Within the first few minutes they had a free kick just outside the Cardiff penalty area. The Cardiff defence held firm for this and clear easily but even at this early stage of the game there was a resounding spirit of defeat amongst the home side. Something needed to happen and quickly. It did.
Cardiff captain Bellamy took control of the game after the early scare with his determination and quick pace. This seemed to help the all eyes on Bothroyd who linked up well with the captain. In the seventh minute Bellamy picked up a pass within the Derby area. He slipped the ball pass a Derby defender who in all fairness had time to adjust himself and trace the ball back. Instead he chose to block Bellamy who in turn went down. This looked like it was all done in slow motion but the referee did not hesitate to point to the spot.

Much to everyone surprise it was Bothroyd who stepped up to take the penalty. It made me wonder if this was planned with all the talk about him. The Cardiff faithful are used to seeing Whittingham take the spot kicks, so why Bothroyd? Anyway he did and he sent the keeper the wrong way. He reframed himself from what was on his mind as he went to acknowledge the cheering fans in the Canton stand. Perhaps he realised the person he wanted to stick his finger up to was in the opposite stand.

From the restart it became the Bellamy show. His hassling of the Derby defence was highly appreciated by the home support. Something we have not seen for a while. His linking up with Bothroyd was something we have not seen since Leeds away. It was this linking that created the next best chance. Bothroyd first time pass from the half way line found Bellamy who had got behind the Derby defence. The captain with only the keeper to beat was let down by a touch and was force to round the keeper. With an open goal he was left with a tight angle but managed to get his shot on line. Unfortunately a pair of derby legs had managed to get back and clear of the line.

Moments later Derby nearly found themselves on equal terms. As the Cardiff defence tried to clear up a Derby attack Quinn made a mistake that left Heaton one on one with a visiting forward. The goalkeeper was beaten but the effort was weak and the new guy JLS managed to clear the danger.

For the remainder of the half both defences held firm. Cardiff created the better chances with Jay having a forcing a desperate block form 18 yards. Derby won some free kicks just outside the Cardiff area but could not find the finishing touch in front of goal.
The referee brought the half to an end with Cardiff maintaining their one goal lead.

Three minutes into the second half Cardiff increased their lead from a corner. From the cross Keinan came from nowhere to beat everyone to the ball. It was a clean header that powered its way into the net giving the Derby keeper no chance.

After this set back for the visitors they then had their best period of the game. They earned themselves a free kick after a bad pass by McPhail that forced him to bring down his marker. The free kick was taken from 35 yards and it made its’ way to the far post. It was met by a Derby head that sent the pass back cross the six yard area beating all on looking Cardiff faces. However and from 2 yards out with an open goal a Derby foot somehow poked the ball over the cross bar. Surely that is going down as the miss of the season.
Soon after this scare Cardiff increased their lead. Cardiff started to open up the Derby defence down the left wing with Whittingham being prominent. Working well with Bellamy he sent a delightful cross in across the Derby area. Quinn was first to the ball and with a first time shot slipped the ball into the net.

On the hour Cardiff had the ball in the Derby net again. Once again the opening was made down the left hand side. From some quick passing the ball fell to Whittingham inside the Derby area and he volleyed the ball home.

By now the game was won and the tension was gone. So all eyes were on the Derby captain and Cardiff favourite hate figure Ricky Savage. It is always a bad thing to pick on an opposing player as they seem to get the last say. As the game went into 5 minutes of injury time Derby were awarded a penalty. Savage was quick to step up and take it beating Heaton to the left of the goal.

The game ended with a comfortable 4-1 victory for the Bluebirds.

Summing up. A much wanted win but let us be realistic. That was a weak team we played, perhaps the weakest we have seen all season. However it was a much welcome three points and just perhaps that is what we needed to get rid of the tension.

Re: " Match Report Cardiff C v Derby C 02 April "

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:52 am

Great Match Report as usual Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 am

I hope your two girls enjoyed the day Ian, see you next weekend and thanks for letting me stay up with you, top man :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks great report.....I said to the fella sitting next to me, when derby missed that sitter, maybe that's the little turn of fortune we need for this run in.
See you all at the keepmoat :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Great report
Cheers
Jes

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Thank you Ian, a good report. :ayatollah:

But you failed to mention the quote of the day. When I came into the Ninian you were in there with your daughters who I had never met before yesterday, I asked you "Are these your children Ian?"

and your reply " Yes these are 2 of the 3 twins !"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:10 pm

carlccfc wrote:
But you failed to mention the quote of the day. When I came into the Ninian you were in there with your daughters who I had never met before yesterday, I asked you "Are these your children Ian?"

and your reply " Yes these are 2 of the 3 twins !"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol:
That is typical me Carl.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm

nice one ian mate. :ayatollah:

as you say a weakend derby made us look good, bad mistakes in defence would be punishe dby other better sides, with a score line more in tune to what we have been getting.

So all eyes were on the Derby captain and Cardiff favourite hate figure Ricky Savage

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 am

Cheers Ian, Look forward to Doncaster Aways Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: