Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

mcphail

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm

his reckless tackles are going to cost us dearly,the free kick he gave away led to the miss of the season by the derby player and his daft lunge gave them a pen.now if this was one of the younger players they would be looking at a long stretch on the sidelines,or a move to scotland :roll: :roll:

Re: mcphail

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:50 pm

shame he played well last season

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 pm

He's good to come in for 3-4 games to steady the ship but he soons runs out of gas. I'd seriously get JET motivated and start him ahead of McPhail with Whitts/JET in the middle with Oli. I reckon JET could do a good job as an attack minded central midfielder.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

I was disappointed with McPhail today, he looked off the pace and was caught out a few times, he also became very reckless with some of his tackles for someone so lightweight.
Last edited by nobber on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

good shout zabier,i think he might thrive on the extra involvement in midfield and be a bigger attacking threat,well worth a try :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:58 pm

he is the weak link people go past him with ease, he's to slow and he makes clusy challenges, away from home i'd definetly play 5 in midfield to make up for the lack of pace and workrate of mcphail and whitts

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Im a long time admirer of McPhail but today I actually realised today that what he had as a player is no longer good enough for this division. Really looked like Olly had to cover for him more than necessary today and he was trying to thread balls through the eye of a needle constantly when easier balls were on. Steve thanks for everything but this has to be your last season :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:03 pm

In fairness his lunge broke up a dangerous derby attack-a booking for the team....

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:In fairness his lunge broke up a dangerous derby attack-a booking for the team....

Which was a mess he got us into due to an awful pass to their player and then losing his man! :D

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:07 pm

that lunge as i said led to the miss of the season by derby,it should have made it 2-1and then who knows what may have happened

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:In fairness his lunge broke up a dangerous derby attack-a booking for the team....

Yeah, that was extremely cynical really but a very professional one - took one for the team while they were on the break.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Yeah, that was extremely cynical really but a very professional one - took one for the team while they were on the break.

And the mistake stemmed from.............????? Not one to get at players but McPhail has had his time with us, I appreciate all of the effort he has put in over recent years and pulling through his illness recently but as I have said it's got to be his last season.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Sometimes we all have an off day, that's just life generally, but I'm not sure about this being his last season.

Anyway, it didn't really matter whether he played well or not today against a pretty poor Derby side.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Agree with the sentiment but we'll have to agree to disagree. At the end of the day we won 4-1 which can only be good for confidence :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Dange wrote:Agree with the sentiment but we'll have to agree to disagree. At the end of the day we won 4-1 which can only be good for confidence :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 pm

I can't believe he was still on the pitch.

His foul for the penalty [freekick] could easily have been a yellow.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:55 pm

He could have been sent off for the free kick as he had no chance of getting the ball and I feared the worst.. Mcphail is not the best as making tackles and have giving a lot of free kicks and penaltys away.

He is a good player but not for 90 minutes first hour very good but gets tired and makes mistakes

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:24 pm

But Gareth he gave the ball away that led to him making that challenge. Had he not played such a shit pass he would not of had to take one for the team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 am

He is not good enough. Too slow and unless the ball is on his left foot it never goes forward. Anyone who has half a brain will close him down and push him onto his right foot.
Thanks for all your effort Steve but I think your time at City is up (just my opinion)

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

He was poor today but still a very good player who is more than capable at this level.

IMO it wasnt even a foul for the pen

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:19 am

ok he had a shocker but has played particularly well in other games and recived no praise,for me JET in centre mid would not work,he needs space and time and is not a great ball winner
may be mcphails last season with us but at the moment hes the best option for the position,

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:11 am

Before the game started yesterday I thought McPhail would have one of his better days because of who we were playing and how Nigel Clough sets his teams up. However he had a very disappointing game where he was constantly played out of the game by the Derby midfield and his inability to tackle cleanly and keep ace with their midfield players when they were breaking was a big concern.

His challenge to give the penalty away was typical and if that challenge was made against one of our players we all would have wanted a penalty.

The problem we have is that DJ believes in McPhail as the most pivotal player to the way we play and he is not IMO. Our next 2 away games are not easy and I think DJ needs to rethink using him as Olifinjana will need more support in CM than McPhail is capable of providing.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:17 am

He is shit, has always been shit and he causes us to be shit. 3 weeks ago the 3rd anniversary of his last goal for us past, a shocking stat for a Central Midfielder. My message is for Christ sake Jones when will you wake up to just how crap this player is?

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 am

frank skinner wrote:his reckless tackles are going to cost us dearly,the free kick he gave away led to the miss of the season by the derby player and his daft lunge gave them a pen.now if this was one of the younger players they would be looking at a long stretch on the sidelines,or a move to scotland :roll: :roll:

Ca'nt tackle for toffee. A lot of people drool about him, personally I'd rather have Whitt's in the middle and Mcphail on the bench where he ca'nt cause any trouble.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 am

lets hope mcphail dosnt read this :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

But Gareth he gave the ball away that led to him making that challenge. Had he not played such a shit pass he would not of had to take one for the team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fair enough comment. He is passed is sell by date and whilst he is wearing our shirt he deserves our support.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:26 pm

frank skinner wrote:his reckless tackles are going to cost us dearly,the free kick he gave away led to the miss of the season by the derby player and his daft lunge gave them a pen.now if this was one of the younger players they would be looking at a long stretch on the sidelines,or a move to scotland :roll: :roll:

havnt read any replys to hungover. but i like mcphail, and he had to make that tackle and take a yellow card for the team as they were breaking 3 on 3 :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Personally I think McPhail should be replaced in centre mid by JET who would give us a more potent attacking threat from that position when going forward. 2 powerhouses like Oli and JET in the middle would also help us defensively in breaking up opponents attacks, I just think we would look alot more potent with that kind of partnership in the centre of midfield.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:He is shit, has always been shit and he causes us to be shit. 3 weeks ago the 3rd anniversary of his last goal for us past, a shocking stat for a Central Midfielder. My message is for Christ sake Jones when will you wake up to just how crap this player is?

Couldn't have put it better myself. I have no idea why he is on the pitch

:ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D

Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:He is shit, has always been shit and he causes us to be shit. 3 weeks ago the 3rd anniversary of his last goal for us past, a shocking stat for a Central Midfielder. My message is for Christ sake Jones when will you wake up to just how crap this player is?

Did you watch any of last season? I can go along with that he hasnt been outstanding this season but that is beyond harsh. Personally i think he still has a part to play