Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rise of the foot soldier... question....

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Last night i watched this film i know the history behind the gangsters, but what really shocked most was the level of violence between football fans early in the film.

I have been City since 1978, abeit a spotty teenager then as you go, i stopped following when i started playing rugby, but the city result was always the first thing i looked for on a saturday.

Flash fwd 20 yrs, and ive been back about 3 yrs, can anyone confirm if that level of violence took place, (never seen nothing like that in the press) Matchettes, axes, knives ect.

Innocent people being battered to pulp for being wrong place wrong time??

IVE been following 'Corkys posts' and just feel what todays lads got done for, is nothing in comparisson to those days surly..

A huge injustice, or paying the price for decades ago??

Re: Rise of the foot soldier... question....

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:04 pm

When they get attacked by Millwall on the train it was West Ham who pulled the machete not the way they portray it.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm

although based on real events - movies are always glorified! have you ever seen such perfect violence! it doesnt happen- usually a f*cking right mess! :lol:

BillyGoat Gruff wrote:When they get attacked by Millwall on the train it was West Ham who pulled the machete not the way they portray it.

Thanks mate, but these things happened then ye,, only be inquisitive... :ayatollah:

Funny thing I was talking to a mate about this film, we both thought the attack by Millwall on the tube was a bit OTT, Why spoil a good film by letting the truth get in the way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm

As an old timer who started watching the City around 1966, I was there at the start of things (mind you I can promise i didn't start it.lol) and by the early 70's it was right mental, and stabbings and slashings were common occurrences, also there were quite a few deaths, remember the one in Sloper Road when palace played the jerks, missed that by a few minutes.

Had a machete pulled on me in Colchester of all places and that was in the ground in the middle of a fight in front of the food stall, a crowd of Colchester fans were in with us (mind you they did try to make out they were Millwall, possibly to try and scare us.lol) when it kicked off it was chaos and everyman for himself and during the furore I knocked one bloke to the floor only to find out he was a fellow Cardiff fan. That was the night we stopped in London overnight in an hotel, two bus loads of us with Mair and Roy Daniels, mad night and worth a story on its own. :old:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:20 pm

BigGwynram wrote:As an old timer who started watching the City around 1966, I was there at the start of things (mind you I can promise i didn't start it.lol) and by the early 70's it was right mental, and stabbings and slashings were common occurrences, also there were quite a few deaths, remember the one in Sloper Road when palace played the jerks, missed that by a few minutes.

Had a machete pulled on me in Colchester of all places and that was in the ground in the middle of a fight in front of the food stall, a crowd of Colchester fans were in with us (mind you they did try to make out they were Millwall, possibly to try and scare us.lol) when it kicked off it was chaos and everyman for himself and during the furore I knocked one bloke to the floor only to find out he was a fellow Cardiff fan. That was the night we stopped in London overnight in an hotel, two bus loads of us with Mair and Roy Daniels, mad night and worth a story on its own. :old:

Class man,
please tell it when you got time, be good reading.. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 pm

I reckon 80's was the worst with them filthy scousers and their stanleys.
My mate was stabbed at Old Trafford but didn't realise until the cops told him,he thought he'd been punched in the side.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:37 pm

BillyGoat Gruff wrote:I reckon 80's was the worst with them filthy scousers and their stanleys.
My mate was stabbed at Old Trafford but didn't realise until the cops told him,he thought he'd been punched in the side.

Stabbed over football, mind boogles..ive been taking my 2 boys down last few years, we sit top corner Ninian next to canton end love it there, after seeing that makes me wonder.... i will be there sat can't wait :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:23 pm

I remember going to Birmingham City on the train and it kicked off just outside New Street Station and one of the boys was wearing one of those big white sweaters and he got whacked on the head by a machette or something similar so I was told. I did see the guy and he was covered in blood!!!! Can't remember if that was the day we bumped into the ICF too... They had a good firm but it passed without incident.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm

peggy (pegleg) r.i.p.......took a shotgun to a pre season game in bournemouth

Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 pm

coppler wrote:peggy (pegleg) r.i.p.......took a shotgun to a pre season game in bournemouth

f*cking hell !
:lol:

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 pm

CCFC- Bramhill wrote:
coppler wrote:peggy (pegleg) r.i.p.......took a shotgun to a pre season game in bournemouth

f*cking hell !
:lol:

It's ok, it wasn't loaded :lol:

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 pm

BigGwynram wrote:As an old timer who started watching the City around 1966, I was there at the start of things (mind you I can promise i didn't start it.lol) and by the early 70's it was right mental, and stabbings and slashings were common occurrences, also there were quite a few deaths, remember the one in Sloper Road when palace played the jerks, missed that by a few minutes.

I was at that colchester game, 76/77 was it ?. As i recall it wasn't a machette it was a samurai sword, the coppers took the fella with the sword away and amazingly he came back in to the ground during the second half :lol: . We stayed overnight in kensington I think it was, lovely hotel, well it was until we got there :lol:

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:39 pm

If you was in the same hotel as us you may remember there was a large party of Swedish girls over on a high school trip or something, they were being looked after by 3 old biddies who had the busiest night of their life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Gwyn if my memory serves me well. Wasn't the late great Tuckers stabbed by Portsmouth fans many years ago?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Keep these memiours coming, great stuff!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: