Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why don't Scotland fight each other...?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Scotland don't seem to have the same infighting at their games as Wales even though they've got two main teams who hate each other? They seem to pull together and have a good time. Why?

Is it because most of Scotland's support isn't Old Firm fans with all their shite? Surely a big percentage are Celtic and Rangers though? Any Scots on here who can enlighten me?

Let's keep this in perspective though - it's only the really big Wales games where the dick cheeses come out to play - most of the time it's fine.

Re: Why don't Scotland fight each other...?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Very few celtic and gers fans follow scotland.weird

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:51 pm

earnieblue wrote:Very few celtic and gers fans follow scotland.weird

I can't believe that - who do they follow then? England/Northern Ireland (Rangers) and Ireland (Celtic)? Surely not.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Celtic follow Ireland and Rangers follow England I think? I bet there are some rivalries with other clubs in the Scottish international scene though! It's nothing exclusive to the Welsh though even if it is annoying. The English have been kicking shit out of eachother for decades now.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:58 pm

earnieblue wrote:Very few celtic and gers fans follow scotland.weird

Weird but true. I've met very few old firm fans when watching Scotland away.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Hearts seem to be the biggest followers :?:

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Should also add that with the number of "professional Jocks" and ballbags that follow us it puts lads off from going. We tend to to stay away from the main areas except on the day of the game so we don't have to listen to all these wankers who think a Scotland away game is an excuse to wear a kilt for 5 days and make a total arsehole of yourself while annoying everyone within 30 miles, and sleeping thorugh the game with sick splashed all over you.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 pm

earnieblue wrote:Hearts seem to be the biggest followers :?:

Hard to tell. All the smaller clubs have good turnouts for the Internationals. I'd say a quarter of our support follow Scotland reguarly. Teams like Partick, Falkirk, QoS etc all have god turnouts.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I think the Scots fans sometimes dont always get on. Whilst out in Paris for the 1998 world cup met 150 Aberdeen finest who certainly were not mingling with other Scots supporters and looked game as !!!!

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I think the Scots fans sometimes dont always get on. Whilst out in Paris for the 1998 world cup met 150 Aberdeen finest who certainly were not mingling with other Scots supporters and looked game as !!!!

That sums it up, though as you say that was at a tournament, and a close one at that. Wouldn't expect to see them in Vilnius etc.

Would expect to see them all down at Hampden on April 17th though :D

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Dont Aberdeen fans have something in common with the Welsh other scots call them SHEEPSHAGGERS Lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Im sure their ultras will be getting their flags ready for their jolly !!! Celtic would be favourites I'd imagine but you never know in those sort of matches

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Dont Aberdeen fans have something in common with the Welsh other scots call them SHEEPSHAGGERS Lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Im sure their ultras will be getting their flags ready for their jolly !!! Celtic would be favourites I'd imagine but you never know in those sort of matches

Yeah, although everything outside Glasgow is seen as sheepshaggers! Lots of good boys up here, have made me most welcome since I moved and I even have a little "Aberdeen Sheepshaggers" pin badge :lol: The added bonus of that game being on the Sunday means I can go to two games that weekend. :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Or they are not complete morons and are all under the one flag?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm

A lot of the so called Tartan Army are complete tossers. More like a rugby crowd than football fans. It puts a lot of lads off going.The only time there's trouble is against England and most mobs like Hibs and Aberdeen would stick together for this. As PTB said the majority of Celtic and Rangers fans dont really follow Scotland but the ones that do go dont wear club colours so there's no real problems.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 am

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I think the Scots fans sometimes dont always get on. Whilst out in Paris for the 1998 world cup met 150 Aberdeen finest who certainly were not mingling with other Scots supporters and looked game as !!!!

I think those fans get fed up of the 'Tartan Army', who just want to go round hugging any local they meet and have their pics taken, wearing kilts, hiking boots and tartan hats with fake ginger hair, with said locals while saying "We're not like the English and their hooligan following" and passing out pissed in the gutter at 1pm or throwing up at 10am. Personally, if I was a Scottish football supporter going away, I'd feel patronised in the extreme by all the Tartan Army bollocks

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:49 am

I think a lot of the 'tartan army' would be there whether it was football, rugby or curling. They are mostly in it for a couple of days away with the lads, the chance to get their cheap kilts out and their arses felt by the local birds wondering what they're wearing underneath. I don't know where they're from but in the 9 years I've been living here I've never met anyone that goes to a Scotland away game and I live near Glasgow and Edinburgh....

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 am

Hamden park and three sets of cells for naughty boys, one for away fans and two to separate the jocks, catholic and protestant, so I think give them a chance and they'll have a right tear up.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:36 am

I just asked a ex colleague of mine who is a season ticket Celtic fan about this and he told me that Scottish football is mainly followed by those outside "the old firm" circle. However he did say that he has not missed a Scottish game for the last 22 yrs and went to every game with his best mate a season ticket holding Rangers fan, Scotland is more fucked up than Wales with its anti Jacks.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:41 am

Lots of pertinent points raised above.

The "professional jock" image does put alot of people off and like I say, my group tend to distance ourselves from the main event except on the day of the game. It keeps idiots out of our way and stops us beng ripped off as the quieter places are just happy for the custom. There is nothing worse than boarding a plane to find it rammed with drunk kilties and belting out doe a f*cking dear!!!!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 am

1977 at Anfield Wales v Scotland, most bizarre game of football Id ever been too. Just fighting everywhere in the ground, Taffs fighting Scots, Old Firm fighting each other, Cardiff fighting Swansea, Hibs v Aberdeen, infact Cardiff seemed to be fighting everyone including each other, complete mayhem.

Oh BTW Joe Jordan is a cheating b*stard :twisted:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 am

RichardBluebird wrote:1977 at Anfield Wales v Scotland, most bizarre game of football Id ever been too. Just fighting everywhere in the ground, Taffs fighting Scots, Old Firm fighting each other, Cardiff fighting Swansea, Hibs v Aberdeen, infact Cardiff seemed to be fighting everyone including each other, complete mayhem.

Before my time...... :lol:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm

PtB wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:1977 at Anfield Wales v Scotland, most bizarre game of football Id ever been too. Just fighting everywhere in the ground, Taffs fighting Scots, Old Firm fighting each other, Cardiff fighting Swansea, Hibs v Aberdeen, infact Cardiff seemed to be fighting everyone including each other, complete mayhem.

Not before mine though PTB :old: and I can confirm that he is a cheating bar steward! :)

Am I right in saying that The Jocks aren't allowed in Hampden to watch Scotland, with their club colours on? :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
PtB wrote:

Not before mine though PTB :old: and I can confirm that he is a cheating bar steward! :)

Am I right in saying that The Jocks aren't allowed in Hampden to watch Scotland, with their club colours on? :ayatollah:

Never had much time for him myself until he had has little spat with Gattuso lately :lol:

Club colours at Hampden is frowned upon by the "Tartan Army". A bloke once pulled me up for wearing a Clydebank pinbadge on my Scotland shirt. Like I say, there are many wankers who follow Scotland!!!!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Is it frowned upon by the fans though, or are they banned by the Scottish FA? :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:44 pm

By the fans. Don't think the SFA give a flying f**k, as long as they sell tickets.....

It's a "Tartan Army" thing :roll:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 pm

PtB wrote:
earnieblue wrote:Hearts seem to be the biggest followers :?:

Hard to tell. All the smaller clubs have good turnouts for the Internationals. I'd say a quarter of our support follow Scotland reguarly. Teams like Partick, Falkirk, QoS etc all have god turnouts.

Queen of the South???

Get ready for some comments about the 'lads' from Wales 2nd city....... ;)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:38 pm

If You look at the England flags alone on saturday they were all muggy Clubs (no offense)
so small clubs supporters having a go at the bigtime.

It's probably similar in Scotland lots of lads from samller clubs there is a big sectarian devide but I heard rangers and celtic fans are kept apart at Hampden ! not sure how but I heard they are segragated!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

The Tartan Army do sound more like a Welsh rugby crowd - the professional Scot thing would annoy me but it's got to be better than beating shit out of each other. The Wales away crowd is usually pretty cool though (except for the really big matches).

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm

When we were in Bari, Italy for the Ireland match, the locals said that the tartan army were lovely affable chaps, if not scared of a fight

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 pm

The Tartan Army are wanks. The looks i get when i go to Scotland games are brilliant because i dont have any tartan on. These cunts are going to a football game not a wedding or fight that happened about 600 years ago. They really do my f*cking head in. In Amsterdam a few years ago & the Dutch fucked us 6-0 & they pricks are hugging the Dutch fans after the game. I'm f*cking raging cos we've just been hammered & these pricks are wanting to have a party. Total bunch of arseholes.