Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

When do you think Wales will qualify for a tournament?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Realistically speaking, which tournament do you think Wales have a realistic chance of qualifying for, if we can qualify at all? I think we can rule this one out :lol: but what about the World Cup in 2014? We always seem to have a squad of all or nothing ie some world class players mixed in with lower league talent and this squad is no different. To make the most of this, we need to have a different approach, the kind of approach countries like Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Sweden, etc have. Not big countries but have similar squad make-ups to ours and are always competitive it seems

Re: When do you think Wales will qualify for a tournament?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 pm

I cant ever see it, Because of the position we are ranked in the world we will always be in a tough group and always flatter to deceive i'm afraid.
We will always have a talent coming through but Wales will always be the same the rest of the squad will always be average.As proved Ratcliffe Rush era to now for example. :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:54 pm

When every welsh player in our squad start to feel privalaged and hounerd to pull on that welsh shirt.. Willing to put everything into the course for there country.. Bit like the irish players do!

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah, you're right. But what annoys me about the way we play, when we're out of a tournament, we give up, even though we can get a better seeding for the next tournament the higher we finish in our group, which is usually possible. I know it's tough when you're out and your morale takes a beating, but we should always give it a try.

But, like you also say, it's hard to see in our lifetimes

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Never in my opinion, trouble is we get seeded very low in all qualification groups, that means we always get a top seeded side against us like a Germany ,Italy etc, also we have a second seeded nation like Russia ,Sweden in our group as well, so unless we start winning more,we will always have tough qualification groups...

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Probably the same year City get promoted to the Premier League. :(

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:13 pm

When hell freezes over.