Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TAX QUESTION HELP

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:02 pm

So I have just been told that maybe I can claim back taxes for whilst I worked for a company... I was using my own car and some one says I am able to claim the mileage for the last 6 years? I left there in 2008 so I might be entitled to a 3 years...

Anyone know ... problem is I no longer have the M.O.T's for the vehicle with the mileage on?

Thanks to any one who can help

Re: TAX QUESTION HELP

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:31 pm

I claim my mileage back every year they dont want a mot certificate i keep a diary with all my mileage in.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Bigbluebird wrote:So I have just been told that maybe I can claim back taxes for whilst I worked for a company... I was using my own car and some one says I am able to claim the mileage for the last 6 years? I left there in 2008 so I might be entitled to a 3 years...

Anyone know ... problem is I no longer have the M.O.T's for the vehicle with the mileage on?

Thanks to any one who can help

I cannot remember 100% but I'm pretty sure you can claim up to 6 years mileage allowance against tax (40p per mile I think it was) so you should be able in theory to claim 2005-2008 BB.

Best contact a tax helpline. If it helps I think the form you are looking for was called a P87

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm

This might help.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/relief-mileage.htm

Normally you would claim on a form P87
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pommanual/PAYE80010.htm

Hope this helps.

Paye helpline is 0845 300 0627 but don't ring it on a mobile. You might find the line extremely busy as at is currently a peak period with HMRC. Might be better off calling at your local Tax Enquiry Centre and booking an appointment. Might not be able to have a same day appointment. Probably get one within a few days.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 pm

bluegirl73 wrote:I claim my mileage back every year they dont want a mot certificate i keep a diary with all my mileage in.

Hi thanks for the reply..... so what will I need then to claim ??

Thanks for your help! :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for all your feedback much appreciated!

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Phone the tax office and ask for a self assessement tax return for the years that you want to claim for, just fill in the mileage part of the form if you havent got the exact mileage that you have done just give a rough estimate was you being paid a mileage allowance by ur employer and being taxed on it if you was taxed on it you will have it all back.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 pm

bluegirl73 wrote:Phone the tax office and ask for a self assessement tax return for the years that you want to claim for, just fill in the mileage part of the form if you havent got the exact mileage that you have done just give a rough estimate was you being paid a mileage allowance by ur employer and being taxed on it if you was taxed on it you will have it all back.

Hi,

I haven't got the exact mileage per day but would be able to get a rough idea, not sure how that'll work if they ask for proof? I was paid for my fuel in cash every fortnight, it wasn't alot.

I will order one of these tax forms tomorrow, is there an office where I can pick one up? Can't believe I never knew about this I was working there from 2001 as well!!

Thanks again for all your help very much appreciated!

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm

but was you taxed on the mileage.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:52 pm

bluegirl73 wrote:but was you taxed on the mileage.

I don't think so my boss put it in an envolope every fortnight though it was legit an they disclaimed it I believe but I doubt I was tax on it, so if I was paid 25p a mile I should get 15p back? Is that right? I need to make sure I do this correct so I don't miss out!

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:04 pm

You will not be able to claim anything back if you pay tax on your mileage thats all you have back is the tax that you pay on your mileage i hope this helps it is a bit confusing ive been claiming mine back for years.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:34 pm

bluegirl73 wrote:You will not be able to claim anything back if you pay tax on your mileage thats all you have back is the tax that you pay on your mileage i hope this helps it is a bit confusing ive been claiming mine back for years.

You've been a great help! I didn't pay tax on my mileage so I should be OK, what proof do they need?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 pm

If you didnt pay tax on your mileage you cant claim anything back you only have back the tax that you pay on it. EXAMPLE say I done 10.000 miles my company pays me 25p a mile that works out to £2500 times that by 20 i would of paid £500 in tax on it and thats how much i would of had back the £500 its very confusing.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 pm

bluegirl73 wrote:If you didnt pay tax on your mileage you cant claim anything back you only have back the tax that you pay on it. EXAMPLE say I done 10.000 miles my company pays me 25p a mile that works out to £2500 times that by 20 i would of paid £500 in tax on it and thats how much i would of had back the £500 its very confusing.

It's really confusing!

Basically this is my figures:

Work Mileage - 9,600

Paid £50 per month by my employer ( Which I believe works out at 0.6p per mile)

That's where I'm at at the moment and just trying to get some idea....

Again, thanks for the help

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 am

I am no tax expert, but, I am lead to believe that the hmrc state 40p per mile should be paid on the first 10,000 miles per annum (the tax year commences on the 6th april).

If you have been paid less than the 40p per mile then I believe you can claim the difference, regardless of if you have paid tax on this amount or not.

As mentioned previously its always best to check with the helpline.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:11 pm

The only money you get back is the tax that you have already paid on it i have been claiming mine back for years being an agency nurse and working all around the country.